Opera Pampa

Jul 11th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Opera Pampa

After reading posts here and on TA, it would appear Opera Pampa would be a good place for five 60-somethings to spend an evening in October.
Without a Spanish language background, their website at:
http://www.operapampa.com.ar doesn't do us much good.
In researching 4 or so google pages I've determined that Opera Pampa can be booked on the following sites:
http://www.gtahotels.com/activities/...tegory=&Page=0
http://www.viator.com/tours/Argentin.../d78-2284OPERA
http://dantravel.com/articles/51/1/O...mpa/Page1.html

Can anyone give me feedback on the three sites? We've used Viator in the past, but it was some time ago.
Prices for the show on all 3 sites are similar, so that's not an issue.
I'd like to book this at least a month out from our October trip.
Thanks much,
tptr
Jul 11th, 2008, 05:48 PM

Why don't you try this e-mail to book directly: [email protected]

Have a great time in our town.
Jul 11th, 2008, 06:38 PM

If they don't answer your email, I wouldn't worry about waiting to book when you are there. I made arrangements a couple of days ahead and paid when I got there.

I'm sure you'll have a great time. I really enjoyed my evening there.
Jul 12th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks much for the replies. Things are falling in place for our trip, despite flight changes due to cutbacks, and BA inflation that seems to be taking off.
Jul 12th, 2008, 05:38 AM

Opera Pampa is a great way to spend an evening! And teachtotravel is right...there should be no problem arranging tickets after you arrive. I sent them an email in English and received a response in English....so you might try an email...

Jul 12th, 2008, 01:55 PM

I can't help advise you where to get the tickets, but just wanted to add that we really enjoyed our evening.
It was very worthwhile.

Have fun.
Jul 12th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Again, thanks for all the input from you folks. Of course I've followed teach2's trip report, and av and dr d are pretty much legend. Not sure how av fell on the wrong side of the law on the TA forums, but it would appear strange things are happening there.

I think the five of us "o.f's" will enjoy Opera Pampa from what I've read

You folks are the greatest.
tptr
Jul 12th, 2008, 03:53 PM

tptr: this guy av you mentioned reputedly has this horrible habit of "telling it like it is", that's how it happened. He told me he has the e-mails to prove it.

If you and the other four "60 somethings" would like to have a forum members' dinner while you are here, like we had with teach2travel, just say so. BTW, I'm "60 something" too.

If you insist, maybe I can talk av into joining us. LOL!!!
Jul 12th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

May very well take you up on the forum dinner.....we drooled through the reports of the previous one. I will get the better half and the others fired up.
Hopefully we would have access to malbec?
tptr
Jul 13th, 2008, 03:55 AM

About the Malbec, the legendary Dr. D's favorite is Luigi Bosca DOC, which ain't exactly the cheapest.

I don't drink, but if av is there, he should be able to translate your order, if you have trouble communicating with the waiter. LOL!!!
Jul 14th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Av:
It's definitely a go for 60-something BA forum dinner with the five of us from Minnesota.
Arr. BA 15/10/08. Not sure how many others would join us, but your legendary status, of course, has all of us enthralled.
Lots of time for planning, although we will obviously defer that to you. Our air tickets are written in stone, so we will most assuredly be there.
From what I gather Teach2 will not be returning at that time, nor the legendary Dr. D, but Av's exploits are pretty legendary, and that will be terrific.
Please advise as to procedures for these affairs. (ie etiquette for such things.) We're all looking forward to it.Do you want other email addresses for more contact?
tptr
Jul 15th, 2008, 03:25 AM

Well, tptr, after telling av about your "legendary status" and "pretty legendary" exploits post, I managed to talk him into joining us. It wasn't easy, because your words made him feel 10 feet tall, but I did it.

There ain't such a thing as "etiquette for such things". Informal is OK.

av told me the only bad day of the week for him is Friday. So, that would eliminate October 17. Please set aside for this purpose a day other than a Friday.

About communication, av said telling him the name and phone number of your hotel would be enough. Of course, if you wish, you can post your e-mail here and he'll get in touch with you.

I'm having great fun with this "av said" business. LOL!!!!

Dec 18th, 2008, 12:40 PM

ttt
Dec 18th, 2008, 02:14 PM

crellston, are you going to this during your stay in BA? I've booked tickets for our family, largely based on the recommendations here and on TA.
Dec 19th, 2008, 02:11 AM

skatedancer, yes we are planning to go in fact, as we are just 5 mins walk from La Rural we are going to go there this afternoon to try an get tickets for this weekend. We are coming into our last week here and there is still so much to do!
Feb 16th, 2009, 01:02 PM

Folks,

Where, exactly, is Opera Pampa located?

I've seen some websites with a price that includes transportation to / from Opera Pampa, but the post from Crellston indicates that it is very local.

Your help is much appreciated, and this also helps to keep this post alive.
Feb 16th, 2009, 01:44 PM

Rasta. Opera Pampa is located at La Rural, the agricultural exposition center located in Palermo, just off Plaza Italia.
Feb 16th, 2009, 02:48 PM

Gracias dear Doctor.

It's about a 12-14 block walk from the apartment we're staying at, on Las Heras.

Which one(s) of the menus would you recommend?

Time for me to start translating all the dishes into English, as my Spanish is nil.

I'll bring down my Saltshaker translation guide that I (foolishly?) purchased. Avrooster has promised to pay me 10 cents for it. With the change shortage in Argentina, it may be worth it.

Maybe Avrooster should start a side business selling pesos for US$, as he has chided us both recently.
Feb 16th, 2009, 03:37 PM

I'll bring down my Saltshaker translation guide that I (foolishly?) purchased. Avrooster has promised to pay me 10 cents for it. With the change shortage in Argentina, it may be worth it.

If you can't read "menu", then Saltshakers guide should be perfect for you.. I don't know why anyone would think it foolish..
I buy Marling Menu Masters whenever we visit a country where I am not sure of the language.. it helps me avoid tongue when I think I am ordering fish

Feb 17th, 2009, 11:55 PM

Rasta,

I think the only menu option is a VIP upgrade offered in lieu of the regular menu. The regular menu is a typical parrilla. I cannot comment on the quality of the food and wine with the upgrade. When we were there, the food on the basic menu was good and the wine was Terrazas Malbec Reserva...which came as a pleasant surprise. Most group meals at Tango shows and at estancias serve a lower price/quality "table" wines.

Ruggieri and Las Heras is indeed within walking distance of La Rural. I am ashamed to say we took a cab the evening we went..and we were in the vicinity of the apartment you have rented.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO