Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

oh no Roberts Grove...need review of recent stay!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have been on Trip Advisor and reading the newer reviews of the places we are staying at in April. One being Roberts Grove. It as gotten a lot of missed reviews and the bad ones are repeated a few times. So now I am worried. Has anyone stayed their recently? Do you recommend? Apparently it is under new ownership and their old chef left. The main problems are the service and food. Any other suggestion in the same area out there?
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 03:47 AM

I have not been at Roberts Grove for a while, so can't comment. Used to be good. You could try Turtle Inn, which is the best in the area, if a little expensive. Alternatively you the Chabil mar Villas is a good alternative.

Hope this helps. Latin Odyssey
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 04:01 AM

I haven't been there in about 6 years. The food wasn't too good even when we were there. There are plenty of nearby places to eat. The beachfront was great.
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 04:58 AM

victoria-house.com
always the safest best
recent great reviews
cntraveler.com
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 05:03 AM

Do be aware lots of Tripadvertizer posts are fake bad posted by jealous competitors their friends and associates to gin up their own rankings with a for profit agenda.I check around on booking.com directrooms.com to find honest reviews from recent guests or discount the whole thing a big for profit commercial scam truly having retired from being a DE X4 over there for years in protest.Very sad how they have gone downhill so far just to sell stock.
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 05:13 AM

Chabil Mar the only other decent one in that area lots more $
personally robertsgrove.com still for me for Placencia.Went over and looked at the negative reviews found a few by clueless newbies that looked picky and fake. some good ones there too by seasoned reviewers.
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 03:28 PM

In my opinion there is a little bit of apples and oranges comparison going on here. RG was sold during 2011. Nice resort.

Chabil Mar and Turtle Inn Location: Placencia Village, 1 mile north of the Village Center. This means you have easier access by foot, bike and/or golf cart to the other village restaurants when you want, the gift shops, markets and bars, including mingling with the locals as you please.

All three properties can make arrangements for any tours and adventures that Belize offers. No real difference there I don't think.

Roberts Grove and Chabil Mar have somewhat similar accommodations, both have AC, Chabil Mar is 100% Villas and Roberts Grove has hotel rooms and/or Villas with small kitchens. Turtle Inn is Balinese style accommodation, thatch roof, fine wood, no villas, no A/C, no TV, no telephone. First class beautiful property but very different in style from Chabil Mar and Roberts Grove. Depends on what you want your accommodations to be like.

There are reasons for the differences in price per night and I think the reviews are saying something, but I have never stayed at Roberts Grove. A couple of other differences between Chabil Mar, Turtle Inn and Roberts Grove is that Chabil Mar is a boutique resort and guest exclusive, even for their restaurant and bar. The others, as do most resort, allow the public at their restaurants and bars.

This is obviously a nut shell comparison but there are some significant differences between the three properties and I didn't think that came through on the prior comments.

Not a bad choice among them, but definitely diffences.
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks BrianDunn! I looked at Chabil Mar once I started reading the few bad reviews on Roberts Grove. Qwovadis i know you have to be careful with tripadvisor and I agree that some seemed a little picky, but it was just the same comments made over and over again that just had us concerned. It is still in the running only because of the great reviews of repeat customers. It is for the last part of our honeymoon and we want to end on a good note !! Thanks for all the input everyone. Still trying to decided.
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 06:07 PM

I don't stay at resort or high end properties, but, for me, the deciding factor would be the proximity to the village of Placencia.

It's a great little town, with lots of good restaurants.

I just don't like to be secluded, I don't care how nice the property is.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 06:29 AM

Ksm, I am one of the reviewers over on TA and was just at Roberts Grove in the beginning of Jan 2012 (go by VaNC over at TA). I can tell you I am not a fake reviewer! You can believe my review and I won't repeat it here. As I said there, there were issues with food and service, although our room and the facility were lovely. If we were to go back, we might stay at Maya Beach or one of the other smaller places. A lot of the fun, as others have said, was going into the Village, although the Maya Beach area seemed nice too.

Feel free to PM me thru TA w/ specific questions. I couldn't figure a way to do it here.