Search

Oaxaca City

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2017, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oaxaca City

Any tips for Oaxaca? I will be there on Thanksgiving break, which is next week, and would like to have some input from you. I will be going to Hierve el agua, Monte alban and don't know what else to do or go. I need your help!
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 09:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
If you like ruins, then Mitla is on the way to Hierve, as are some more minor ones. As are the rug weavers of Teotitlan De Valle. Most of the shops will give you a demo of their craft. There's also Mezcal factories out that way. And also the tree at El Tule, which you can see in about 5 minutes. The Museo De Las Culturas is a must. Right next door is the Botanical Garden. The Ex-Convento at Cuilapan is interesting. That's where Vicente Guerrero was executed. The Benito Juarez market. And of course Oaxaca probably has some of the most unique food in Mexico. They used to have a mini-Guelaguetza dance at Quinta Real, which is the coolest hotel in town. Go see it (the hotel) even if you don't stay there. If you're there on a Sunday, there's often music and dancing in the zocalo. And always marimba music. That should get you started. Some people are afraid to go to Oaxaca, but there's absolutley no need to be. It's probably the premier colonial destination in Mexico, outside of CDMX. Have fun.
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 11:49 AM

Gosh, I can't do better than baldone's advice! Just want to add that we loved Oaxaca City. One morning, our birding group toured the market with Yolanda from Seasons of My Heart cooking school, then went back to the school with her for lunch; we didn't cook, but observed her and others cooking, but I think you can book a class along with the tour. Walking around the market with a person who could explain what we were seeing and tasting was a real treat.
http://seasonsofmyheart.com

Oaxaca is famous for its food, its mezcal, its weavers and its alebrije carvers. I can give you the name of a local guide, if you'd like, or can you can strike out on your own, but do try to experience all those things when you're there. It's a great place!
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Baldone: Wow, thank you! I will check on the mini Guelaguetza. I will be there from Monday to Sunday morning, so I am going to miss the marimba music. Thank you for giving me the confidence to go there because I did not know how safe it is.

newbe: I will try to book a cooking class but its not my forte. Thank you for your suggestion I will consider it!
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 01:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
The marimba guys play every day and most nights in the zocalo for tips. There's often more than one group.
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 01:39 PM

letty33, no need to cook if it's not your thing! I think anyone would enjoy the market tour and lunch
Have fun!
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Baldone: yay for the marimbas!

Newbe: I will have fun! I can't wait to be there!

Thank you so much for your time!
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 03:17 AM

My advice for Oaxaca travellers? Eat! It’s been twenty years since I've been there but I have not forgotten the mole chicken, the garlic soup, the fried cheese and fresh squeezed orange juice. Buying a bunch of gardenias in the zocalo for next to nothing was also pretty special

Glad to hear safety should not be a concern. I do want to get back there someday.
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 04:37 AM

Have lunch in the garden at the La Teca restaurant. It's located in the backyard of the private house of the chef and offers a chance to sample the food of coastal Oaxaca without traveling to Tehuantepec. You must reserve in advance. Calvin Trillin wrote about it in the New Yorker a few years ago. It is a walk from the centre, or take a taxi.

Another interesting dish to try is caldo de piedra, or stone soup, which you can try at the restaurant of the same name, on the road out of town.

Even if you don't think you want to buy a rug, go to Teotitlan; the weavings are extraordinary. There was a New York Times article about them recently. Prices are very reasonable and they can make rugs to order in your colors.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/18/s...ural-dyes.html
Old Nov 24th, 2017, 12:03 PM

Don't miss the Ruffino Tamayo museum

http://sic.gob.mx/ficha.php?table=museo&table_id=103

and the Regional Museum: http://catterall.net/regmus.html

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...882801271/show