Search

Not Your Typical Trip Report, Arenal/MA

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not Your Typical Trip Report, Arenal/MA

First the roads:

If you need extreme road fear psychosis to add a higher adventure factor to your trip please read no further.

We drove from the airport, through Zarcero to Arenal, no potholes, smooth roads, don't think we took a wrong turn. We left the airport at 2:30pm. Strangly, we did not die in the mountains. We arrived in Fortuna just after dusk, didn't kill anyone, and avoided the houses that jump into the road at night.

When we left Arenal we did miss the turn for 142 in town, had to back track slightly after we realized the miss. The road from Arenal to San Ramon was extremely smooth, very scenic, no potholes!

Only a few potholes the rest of the way to Quepos, and the two "scary" bridges were far from scary.

We departed MA at 8:30 for a 2:00 flight. We ran into a closed road, due to an accident. Took a 1 hour detour, made our plane with 45 minutes to spare. This detour route, #131 was the worst road of the trip, but we still were able to traverse it at a very decent clip. Above the posted 80kph. (we were slightly worried about missing the flight)

Tricolor guys handled our return very quickly and got us to the airport pronto.

So, if you are driving between SJO, Arenal and MA, don't fret, the roads are GREAT!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Los Lagos: Fortuna.

The pictures on the net don't do this place justice. The grounds are great. The pool slides are a blast. 3 slides, 1 tunnel, good speed. We had two 12 and two 15 year olds with us and the thoroughly enjoyed the pools. Not to mention the fun we adults had.

Food was good, and cheap. The $8.00 Filet Mignon was good.

Sky Trek: If you are the Arenal area, all I can say is this is a MUST. What a rush. Long ziplines across deep valleys. Highlight of the trip for many.

Hanging Bridges - very cool walk through the jungle.

La Fortuna Waterfall - We went there right at closing time, practically empty, swam at the base by ourselves, extremely cool.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Quepos/MA - After Arenal, I was initially dismayed by the number of hotels/restaurants. They are literally right on top of each other, not what I was expecting after seeing all the pictures on the web. But after a day or so I acclimated.

We were there during a full moon and the surf was fantastic. The boys couldn't get enough of it.

I would say skip the snorkeling in the area, or if you want to do it, just go to Beisanz beach and pay the guys there to take you out to the rocks on the banana boat. Should be no more than $15.

Costa Verde - Our rooms were much smaller than Los Lagos, storage space was practically non-existant, this in a Studio Plus. Views were great. Very few kids there, even at the non-adult pool.

Food costs are higher in MA than Arenal. We stuck to middle of the road restaurants, and payed on avg $150 for 4 adults, 4 kids. 2 drinks each on the adults.

Fishing: If you want a great day, check out the Magic Moon run by Luna Tours. We caught 11 Sailfish and 1 Marlin! What a great day on the water. Don't think it could have been any better. At one point we had 5 fish on at 1 time. These guys are truly great at what they do. I had gone through the previous month's fishing reports to chose this charter, they consistently out fish most of the other boats.

Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:27 AM

JorgeoftheJungle, wow, one of the best trip reports I have ever read! Entertaining, organized, and original! Thank you.

In June I'll find out for myself how the roads are; your trip report is reassuring. Thanks for the tip about those houses that jump into the road at night!

You rented a car from Tricolor? did you contact them directly, on the internet? would you recommend them?

Is Sky Trek in Arenal the one where you take the tram up and then you zip down on a cable above the canopy? That's the one I'm planning to book for my adventurous family. Did you see any wilflife on the way up or down? Could you see a nice view? As for me, I'm afraid of both heights and speed, and even the tram ride sounds scary for me! If I only do the tram ride, would it be worth it? My family is eager to try the zip-line.

Any particular restaurants stand out in your mind in Manuel Antonio? We'll be in Manuel Antonio, Arenal, and Monteverde.

Thanks, Jorge!
Thanks, Jorge!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Melissa,

Sorry, but when I saw the conditions of the roads, after reading all these horror stories and all the notes imploring people to get drivers etc, I just had to write something to set the record straight.

If you have never driven around a sharp corner, or passed a bicycle on the side of the road, or dealt with on coming traffic in a passing zone, or driven in rain or at night, or up a hill, then I think you might find the driving tough.

Sky Tram: You will see some flora, but unless you are lucky, very little fauna on the tram ride in Arenal.

The ziplines are mainly for adrenaline rushes. Although you may get comfortable enough after your first two long runs to enjoy the view of the lake.

The Hanging Bridges is walk is much better than the Tram ride. But again mostly flora. But if your whole family is going on the Tram up, you might as well join them, for the pictures and the view and to partially share in the experience they will be talking about for the rest of their lives...

The first cable is 400 meters across, and 300 meters above the bottom of the valley.

Also you need to read these forums with a decent filter. According to the herd, you can't make it to Arenal if you arrive after noon (false). Also you need to stay in San Jose the night before your flight, (false if you have a pm flight).

We hooked up with a great guide at the MA park, and met other guides that seemed equally friendly. We ended up taking the Damas Mangrove tour with the same guide.

As for restaurants, you should go to ones that look interesting to you.
We ate at Anaconda, Marluna, El Cantina, El Avion and Lobster down on the MA beach. Most of them were chosen because they were in easy walking distance of Costa Verde. I did not have bad meal on the trip. These were all decent places to eat.

George
Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:22 PM

Ha ha, nice job Jorge! You have the perfect attitude for CR. Its not for girly-boys but the average person will have no problems.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 02:01 PM

The only places I saw poor roads were to and from Monteverde and they were reallllllllllllly bad.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Sorry I missed the Tricolor question.

I contacted Tricolor through their website. I rented a Suzuki XL7 for a week, for $462. Unlimited mileage, no extras.

I used the 4wd only a couple of times.

ps. I saw a few girly men in Costa Rica.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:19 AM

Very good trip report! Thanks George. Out of curiosity, did u travel these roads during rains or after heavy rainfall? Seems like alot of people mentioned that the roads were worse because of the elements too. But it is def. nice to know that they are indeed not as bad as made to think. Can u tell me what the temps/humidity were like in Arenal (like during canopy tour) and MA area? Thanks for your great info! Tina
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

We had no daytime rain on the trip.

I have no idea what the temps were, I didn't bring a thermometer, didn't check a forecast.

Hot and Humid. Much more so in MA. Check your seasonal temps for your travel date.

You will be cooler if you wear something breathable, rather than 100% cotton.

Some in our group were more affected by the H&H than others. Your mileage will vary.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:38 AM

I am glad we are not the only ones who think that the reports of those reallllly baaad roads are exaggerated. We drove from Arenal to Monte Verde and from Monte Verde to Interamericana week ago. SUre, you have to drive slowly but it is not nearly as bad as many people say. It is dirt road, so if someone is used to the well paved roads, the I can see the horror in their eyes. For those who have driven on the dirt roads and know you have to go slowly it was not so difficult. It is long (Tilaran to Monte Verde took us approx.1,5hours) so the driver can get tired, but it is doable.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:30 AM

JorgeOfTheJungle, Do you have contact information for the great guide you had in MA? What did you like about your guide? Thanks.
Old May 4th, 2005, 07:41 PM

LOL--Hi dnc11, girly-men? Wait a minute, I'm trying to get a mental image of that one! Hope all is well with you and yours!

Jorge--way to go! You did set the record straight on the roads. Not perfect, but certainly not "horrible"--just very interesting! Glad you had such a good time!
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Our Guide:

We hooked up with Roy Orozco at the MA park. I talked with the people who had just finished his early morning tour and they highly recommended him. Very personable, gave a great tour. His rates were very reasonable. We enjoyed him so much that we hired him to guide the mangrove tour as well. This was at a HUGE discount over what the tours cost when booked from the hotel.

To find Roy, you could ask for him down at the parking area in front of MA. They are a friendly bunch down there, if Roy is not there, I'm sure they will tell you when to expect him. Or you could try calling him on his cell phone 506-370-0020.

The answering message is in Spanish, but he does speak very good english. Leave a message and he will get back to you.

If you do get in touch with Roy, tell him Jorge asks how his wisdom teeth extraction went!

We learned much about the area, his life, etc, it wasn't just a "hey look at that bird" type of experience.
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:49 PM
rdp

Last minute question -- do taxi's from airport take USD or is it best to exchange / ATM at airport?
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:37 AM

rdp - When you are exiting SJO, there will be a booth to your left before exiting and another just outside if you miss the one inside. You pay for your taxi here. Tell them what hotel you are going to, the rates are set. Yes, you can pay in USD. Nice and easy set up.
Old May 6th, 2005, 12:20 PM

Jorge, thanks for the name of the guide at Manuel Antonio. I'll take his name along and his cell phone number.

You did the mangrove tour as well? Is that the mangrove estuary Damas Island tour by kayaks, in the Manuel Antonio area? I am considering that one and would love to hear more about it. I need something that is tame enough for me, interesting enough for my biologist husband, and fun enough for my 23-year-old son and 18- and 19- year old daughters. Iguana Tours offers that tour...they also have double kayaks which is better for me, I could go with hubby!
Thanks for any info!
Old May 8th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

We did not go in kayaks, according to Roy you see more wildlife if you are in a boat, and you don't have to fight the incoming tide. We did see some people in kayaks and they looked like they were having fun. They can go into smaller openings in the mangroves, but I don't think they go as far inland as the boats.

So it's a toss up on which one is better. All these tours can easily be booked while you are there, just go with the flow...

Jorge
Old May 11th, 2005, 06:07 AM

Hi Jorge,

We are headed to CR in July, we to will be driving to Arenal first then driving down to MA, then fly to the Osa. My question is, do you remember how long the drive was from Arenal to MA?? Just curious. And any must sees on the way down or a must to have lunch on the way??

Gracias!