newbies to CR

Old Jan 12th, 2020, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

newbies to CR

Hi! We are a family of 4 with kids 13 and 16 going to CR for the first time. We will likely just have 6 nights there. We would really like nice beach time, preferably a hotel/resort right on the beach and day trips to zip line, hike to water falls and maybe raft. Can you give me suggestions on best area to go to? Is there one town we could stay in to do all of this or do we need to split time in two locations. We prefer one location to really relax and not spend a lot of time driving, but can be flexible on this. I have heard Manuel Antonio is smaller and a bit less touristy than up by Guanacaste which sounds nice. Thoughts?? Thanks for your help!

Last edited by kdetrav; Jan 12th, 2020 at 09:19 AM. Reason: spelling error!
Old Jan 12th, 2020, 04:08 PM

We like Tulemar Bungalows in the Manuel Antonio area, very nice, and they have their own beach and good service. Lots of wildlife around like sloths and monkeys, good open air restaurants, more lush and green than the Guanacaste area. MA is touristed and popular though. They have a beautiful national park and beach within the park. Six nights is really short for a CR trip; I'd be tempted to stay in one spot.
Old Jan 12th, 2020, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Volcanogirl. So what would be your one spot?
Old Jan 12th, 2020, 09:44 PM

Tulemar Bungalows, the spot I mentioned, would be great if you're looking for beach time. If you wanted to pair it with another area, I'd go to the Arenal area - tons to do plus it has the volcano, the waterfall, natural hot springs, and lots of adventure activities.