Need Help Planning Last Minute, Short, First Time Trip to Costa Rica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found out today that I may be going to Costa Rica for business in mid-May. I am thrilled! I've never been to Costa Rica (or to Latin America at all). The catch is that I won't know for sure whether I am going (or the exact dates) until about a week before. I will need to be in San Jose for a couple of days and then should have 3-4 days for vacation. It looks like my husband will be able to join me. I have been looking on this board to see where to go but am now more confused than when I started.

Where do you recommend for a young couple who is looking to relax, see some interesting natural scenery, and who do not have a lot of time in CR? I am sure we will be back if we like it so we don't have to pack the whole country into this trip. We are both interested in hiking, rain forests, seeing animals, culture, good food. Basically we want to take advantage of my work trip to see something different. We usually travel to Europe and in cities so this is a real treat. We are not terribly interested in "adventure" sports like white water rafting, ATVing or anything too scary. A nice beach would be great but we live on the coast in New England and it is almost summer here so it isn't essential. Any thoughts for a destination? Somewhere that has a lot to do where we wouldn't need to move around would be perfect.

We are open to renting a car if needed but don't want to spend too much time driving. Also, I don't need to fly home from San Jose if another airport is more convenient. For accommodations we want something pretty nice, not the Four Seasons, and can be rustic if comfortable (we are leaving the baby at home so this is our big chance to sleep in!!). And, as mentioned above, booking will be last minute so I am hoping to avoid too many logistics.

Thank you in advance for any help. I will do my research, I promise, but I just got this good news today and I'm not sure where to start!
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 06:39 PM

What a great deal for you both!

3-4 days of vacation might best be spent at Manuel Antonio National Park. You said you weren't particularly set on beaches, but this area has it all--beaches, hiking, wildlife, etc. It should be pretty low key in mid-May. You can do as many or as few activities as you'd like.

I'd suggest one of the more upscale properties such as Tulemar Bungalows, Buena Vista Villas, Mango Moon, or Si Como No. Google these--you'll love the looks of all of them. They are all in the $200 range, I think. May is low season, so a big bonus in your timing!

Costa Verde is a great place to stay also, if you don't mind just a LITTLE less luxury but great views if you book the Studio Plus rooms, Costa Verde II (no children area). The original (or regular) Costa Verde rooms also have nice views with the Studio Plus bookings. About $125 per night.

We're going in August and have rented the lower apartment of Mot Mot villa (Tulemar). $128, breakfast included, as is usually the custom.

Kayaking, horseback (one highly recommended tour to a waterfall is the Finca Valmy tour), Damas Mangrove Tour, and of course, an early a.m. tour of the park for tons of wildlife. Show up early and hire a guide at the entrance.

As for sleeping in, good luck! The sounds of Costa Rica begin sometime around 4:30 a.m. and can be quite, uh, attention getting! Most people find that the best birding, wildlife viewing, and weather happen early in the day.

There are, as you know, lots of choices. MA just seems a "fit" for this first trip.

If you REALLY want to see a great area, take a domestic flight down to the Osa and stay at Bosque del Cabo--it is everything you've asked for. You'll be ready to sell everything you own and move there--yesterday! Can you manage 3-4 nights there? If so, it would be my choice for the ultimate short trip!
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 06:39 PM

Nobody sleeps late in CR, lol

I would suggest looking into Manuel Antonio or Arenal, you can arrange for a driver, take the shuttle Interbus or fly on Nature Air or Sansa to both. For a short trip I would keep it to one destination.

Arenal will give you the volcano obviously plus a whole lot of activities that would keep you busy. Some nice places to stay are Iguana Lodge, Arenal Paraiso or El Silencio del Campo.

In Manuel Antonio, you'd have the Nat'l Park & beach plus again plenty of activities. Some nice places to stay are Costa Verde, Villas Nicolas or La Posada.

I'll be there myself in mid-may, it's a lovely time of year to visit. Have fun planning!
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 06:41 PM

shillmac we posted at the same time and mentioned the same thing about sleeping in
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both so much for this information...and quickly! Manuel Antonio looks great and Bosque del Cabo looks absolutely amazing. I've already emailed them about availability. Now I am excited, I hope I get to go!
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

And I got a good laugh about the sleeping in. At least if the monkeys wake me up at 4:30 I don't have to make them breakfast.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 07:12 PM

Yep, I was thinking of all the folks who were chuckling over the "sleeping in" comment! No offense, Sally30!

That said, I actually DID sleep in one trip, when my daughter and I stayed out until 3:00 or 4:00 a.m. several nights in a row. I know it sounds bad, but truly wasn't--we were having a great time with legitimate friends! That was 2003 and I'm still recovering! LOL!
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 07:15 PM

That's for sure! Waking up at 4:30 to listen to nature isn't so bad--it's when you have to get up and start being Mommy to the bright eyed and bushy tailed!
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 06:45 PM

Hi Sally,

I don't really have anything to add to the excellent advice shillmac and tully have already provided.

I'll just say that I've been to all 3 of their suggested locales (MA, Arenal, BdC) and all are terrific. Hopefully, you can get into Bosque del Cabo. It is right up there amongst my most favorite places I've ever visited! I really enjoyed Manuel Antonio on my first visit to Costa Rica but I think the Osa Peninsula (and BdC in particular) has totally spoiled me with it's more remote, pristine, untouched character.

Let us know what you ultimately settle upon.

shillmac,

Up until 3:00 and 4:00 a.m.??

I'm impressed (and exhausted, just thinking about it)!
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 08:21 AM

Peace Lodge at La Paz Waterfall Park
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 02:19 PM

I know, I know. . .it really sounds bad. If I heard if from someone else, my eyebrows would raise for sure. She and I still talk about that trip and will always remember it as one of the best weeks of our life. If was one of the weeks in our history that we actually got along most of the time! LOL.

It will sound a little weird (and I've Fodored it before), but two years earlier we had met a fellow who was on staff at Allegro Papagayo. All of my kids that trip became friends with him and a few of this co-workers.

Two years later, she and I travled down for Spring Break because we got $300 airfare. He was our self-appointed guide for the entire week. He was working at Paradisus Playa Conchal by now. He took 2 days of vacation and showed us around Guanacaste, even taking us to his home in Liberia. He stayed in our room with us 2 nights (that's the crazy part--I'd wake up in the middle of the night, look over, and think--gee, I can't BELIEVE we have a tico in that bed over there! LOL)

We stayed at the Paradisus for 4 of the nights because Hernan (our friend) talked the manager into a GREAT deal for us. Can you believe it was Spring Break and hardly anyone at the Paradisus? Not crowded at all. Those days are gone!

There were beach parties, including one in Tamarindo. I went along to all of them, and just sat back and enjoyed the fun. One night we went with a group to Playas del Coco to a disco. One night we sat on the beach in Playa Flamingo and watchd the sunset as Hernan played his guitar and sang. We were the only people on the beach. The sun was setting, and a full moon was rising behind us.

It was a great trip. And cheap!
I had a video camera and that cassette is priceless to us!
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 03:02 PM

Well if we do a GTG at BdC, we know who will be closing the bar

Sally did you decide where/when you are going?
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 03:45 PM

LOL, shillmac!!

Sounds like you had one heck of a time! And why not? We are all entitled to kick up our heels every once in a while!

Your trip is starting to loom onto the horizon, tully. Lucky duck!!

Sally,

I hope it still looks like CR is a likelihood for you!

Old Apr 17th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all this advice. The Osa area looks fantastic. I emailed Bosques del Cabo and they do have a room and I also emailed the Black Turtle Lodge and am waiting for a reply. My only concern is that the expected date when I'd go is about a month away but I won't know for sure until about 1-2 weeks before hand if I can go for sure. I am not sure what the hotels' cancellation policies are so I am a bit reluctant to book. I've asked that in all my emails so I'll see what the response is. Some of the hotels have the policy on the website (e.g., for the Iguana Lodge if you cancel less than 45 days in advance if you lose 100% of your money).

As a back up I am also looking at Manuel Antonio because it might be easier for us since it is closer to SJ.

A few questions -
1. Do the flights to Osa tend to book up? As noted above, all plans will have to be last minute for us!

2. We are nervous about driving in CR and neither my husband or I can drive a stick (sad, I know). Do we need a car in Manuel Antonio? I assume there are many tours we can take that provide transportation.

3. To get to MA would you recommend taking a van/taxi (looks like it cost about $100) or flying? The taxi probably gives us more flexibility. Do shuttles leave San Jose in the evening (say 5-6pm) when I'll be done with work?

4. Where do you think the best location is for staying in MA? I looked up Shillmac's recs and have emailed Mango Moon (the others stayed restrictive cancellation policies on their websites). What do you think of La Posada Bungalows? I found it on Trip Adviser where it received good reviews and they have a 72 hour cancellation policy which helps.

Thanks for all your help. I am trying not to get too excited in case I can't go but I guess it is good research for next time.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 05:22 PM

You shouldn't have a problem with getting a domestic flight last minute in May--or a room at Bosque del Cabo. What do you think Tully? You're the Month of May expert for BdC and CR in general!

Yes, cam, kick up the heels, we did. But perhaps not as much as it sounds! It was actually much tamer than the description would lead one to believe.

And hey! You do not know who will be closing down the bar! LOL--
Did I say a WORD about alcohol in that monologue above? Nada mas que una cerveza de vez en cuando, muchimas gracias! I'm the "drink two, night night girl"!

Now why can't you get yourself to CR in March? You KNOW I can't get there in April or May!

Sorry sally30, yes, have you decided? LOL

Write Bosque--tell them your concerns. See if they can help you out any. They can at least tell you if they think you have a chance of booking last minute.

Old Apr 17th, 2008, 05:24 PM

Sorry, cam, I wasn't ranting at you in all of that. Tully gets the "and hey!" lecture.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:55 PM

Sally it's hard to say on the flights to the Osa & Bosque. Last flight down there we were packed in, the one before that there were only a couple of us. Bosque is the same, one year it was packed when I arrived then 2 or 3 nights later everyone cleared out except for me & a french couple, lol. Honestly I'd just wait til you know your exact dates and then ask, since you can't book your air there anyway til you have your dates. Maybe at worst you'd have to change cabinas during your stay I would think. Is there any way you can get a sooner definite date?

To the GTG, I say let's all get smashed, take the flashlights away and first one back to the cabina wins. Of course it has to be their cabina I'm a lightweight too don't worry, 2 is pretty much it for me. Oy! I dunno, March is gonna be hard with CR in 2 weeks & Argentina in Oct, but we'll see. What about June? Is that a possibility too?

Sorry for the off topic Sally....me personally, I think MA is one of the easiest without a car. The bus is frequent, taxi's are cheap and nothing is too far, it's only one long winding road.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 10:18 AM

I think there's going to have to be GTG round 1 and round 2!

shillmac -- I will miss you I think. It looks like that first week in March will work pretty well for me and I know you can't make it then.

I'm working on tully though...Hi tully! And, cmerrell too...and volcanogirl hasn't piped up yet, but know she has a trip in July also.

Janenicole says so far it's her, lgreenacres and mixter603, sans kids for everyone...and then there would be me and anyone who chimes in over the next (almost) year! I've got a couple interest on TA as well.

If I ever get my trip report done I'll post a separate thread where people can post dates and interests.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 12:31 PM

I can do June. Tully, we may have to host Group 2!
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 07:42 AM

Hi ladies,

Ahhh, BdC in the spring! Sounds like both March and June would be good times to be there. I'm excited at the prospect! Maybe I should go to both GTGs (should both materialize)! Wishful thinking...

Sally, sorry for wavering off topic but you know we've got your back with any further questions you have!

With the short notice you'll be forced to deal with, MA might be the most <i>convenient</i> place for you to get to. There are several hotels to choose from and the area is compact enough that it's easy to get around with or without a car.

Arenal has lots of hotels as well, but a car comes in more handy there as things are more spread out. You can do taxis, but it's a bit less convenient than having your own wheels. Most tours will provide transportation to and from your hotel.

Of course, if you can find the cancellation flexibility you need on the Osa, that would still be an incredible option! You could also look at the Drake Bay side of the Osa. There are so many BdC devotees here that we naturally tend to lean towards the Pto Jimenez side of the peninsula, but I know there are some highly regarded hotels around Drake Bay as well. Just another potential avenue to explore...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -