Need help planning CR trip for December

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So we're going to Costa Rica for a week in late December with the in-laws. Never been before and this is a sort of dream...to finally be going!

Here's the proposed itineraries from their travel agent (should say I'm rather averse to planned tours, but the in-laws tend to feel "safer" using them.):

Day 1 ARRIVE SAN JOSE, COSTA RICA.
Day 2 SAN JOSE / TORTUGEURO.
Travel to Matina where your boat is waiting to start your expedition of the Tortugeuro National Park. Cruise deep into the jungle, via narrow canals.
Day 3 TORTUGUERO NATIONAL PARK.
Today explore the Park with your English-speaking tour guide. Boat tours will take you into the small canals of the park and a walk through the rainforest gives you the chance to see some of the flora and fauna closer.
Day 4 TORTUGUERO / SARAPIQUÍ.
Head via waterways and land to Sarapiquí, a tiny community in a valley surrounded by rainforests. The area is relatively unknown, and home to some of Costa Rica's most diverse and dense wildlife and vegetation. Afternoon at leisure.
Day 5 SARAPIQUÍ / ARENAL.
Travel through lush mountains to La Fortuna, home of famous Arenal Volcano. Thrill
to views of one of Costa Rica's most active volcanoes. This evening, relax at the mineral hot springs of the renowned Tabacon Resort.
Day 6 ARENAL FLOAT TRIP.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the rainforest and experience its peacefulness as you float and paddle down the Penas Blancas River. Your naturalist guide will share his knowledge of the flora and fauna. Tonight, take an optional tour up Arenal, and get
a front row view of the lava oozing down the slopes.
Day 7 ARENAL / SAN JOSE.
Transfer from La Fortuna back to San Jose. The balance of your day is free.
Day 8 DEPART SAN JOSE.

-OR-

Day 1 ARRIVE SAN JOSE, COSTA RICA.
Day 2 SAN JOSE / ARENAL.
Travel to La Fortuna, home of famous Arenal Volcano. Entrance to the Tabacon Mineral Hot Springs is included during your stay here.
Day 3 ARENAL.
Start the day with a skywalk over the jungle. Stroll along suspension bridges that run over the rainforest canopy and see a hidden world teeming with life from a unique perspective. Later, the day is at leisure for optional activities.
Day 4 ARENAL / GUANACASTE.
Enjoy the scenic drive from Arenal to Guanacaste on the Pacific Coast, and Costa Rica’s sunniest region.
Days 5 & 6 GUANACASTE.
Two days at leisure to relax and enjoy the beach.
Day 7 DEPART GUANACASTE / SAN JOSE.
Transfer from Guanacaste back to San Jose.
Day 8 DEPART SAN JOSE.

I should say that we're a couple in our early 30s and they are in their mid-50s...we're all pretty active. Won't have much time to travel around so it seems to make sense to stick to two or three places. My guess would be Arenal/La Fortuna and maybe Tamarindo. Want the excitement of rainforest and eco-adventure and also the beauty and relaxation of the beach on this trip.

Should we scrap these itineraries and plan it on our own? What are your recommedations?

Sorry for the long post...but we really could use the advice. Thanks!
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 05:11 PM

Just a couple of thoughts that might help you decide:

Tortuguero is a great place to visit, but that part of the country can be subject to some very heavy rains in December. While the rest of the country is enjoying its summer or dry season, the Caribbean side is experiencing its heaviest rains of the year in December and January. Also, it would be really nice if you could visit Tortuguero between July and October when the turtles are nesting. It's a nice added bonus to that trip!

Guanacaste will be dry. Do you know which area of Guanacaste? Which beaches? Do you get to choose? Tamarindo is okay for a day (or a few hours), but there are (in my opinion) some better areas to stay. Tamarindo is so over developed and very busy--lots of people these days. Especially that time of year. The Playa Hermosa area offer close proximity to Rincon de la Vieja National Park, an excellent day trip with ziplines, mud baths, horseback riding option, etc

I don't know if the tours quoted above are a good deal or not, but should you decide to plan the trip on your own (which is very do-able), you'll want to get started right away. I expect a lot of places are already booked for that peak week.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 05:22 PM

Personally I think the first itinerary is too much of a good thing. Lots of lush, lots of green, and a lot of water.

I don't see the need to go on the Penas Blancas in Arenal right after going to Tortugueros. Both involve slow boating looking at wildlife. Certainly your choice but with such a short time in the country there are so many other things to see and do.

The Sarapiqui, I have been there several times and really like it. Just spending an afternoon there would be a waste of time imo. The birds and animals aren't out much in the afternoon except for possibly a very brief time just before dark.

There is a lot you can do in Arenal so I would go directly there from Tortuguero.

Itinerary II

If you can get a flight that gets you in by 2pm you can get to Arenal that same day if you go with a private driver. San Jose really doesn't have much to offer.

Tamarindo.....Have you looked at Playa Hermosa a little further north? Tamarindo is more of a surf town. Playa Hermosa is convenient to day trips in that area and has a beautiful beach.

With just two places you could do it on your own. I can certainly understand your parents wanting to just get there and leave the driving (etc) to someone else. We did it that way for several trips. What people don't realize is that even though tour companies offer canned tours, a lot of them will work with you to come up with a custom tour of your choice not theirs.

We always chose what we wanted to do and then contacted a company to make it happen our way. Most of the time we just had them make our hotel and transportation arrangements for us. We took care of the day trips once we got there depending on what we felt like doing at the time. When we rented a car it was also with the company of our choice.

We still feel more comfortable just sending a check or credit card to one person rather than having to fax it all over the country. We do a combo most of the time. We always have a hotel or two that we take care of and then have someone else take care of the rest.

Gaialink tours is a good company.
Costa Rica Expeditions is good.
We use a private driver/guide who stays with us and we use him on a daily basis but he also will just do hotel reservations and basic transports.
Should you go up to the Playa Hermosa area Vargas Papagayo tours is a good company for small custom tours rather than huge bus tours.

Tortuguero and Arenal are a good combo but I really get the feeling you want some beach time. Playa Hermosa and Arenal are also a good combo. If you choose the Playa Hermosa combo you can still do a water tour on the Penas Blancas or even better...up around Cano Negro from Arenal as a day trip. You won't have to totally miss out on that experience by skipping Tortuguero.

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 02:53 AM

Note Shillmac's comments about rainfall in December and January in the caribbean lowlands. December has the heaviest rainfall of the year in that area.

I would definitely skip Tortugeuro and Sarapiqui and focus on the drier parts of the country.

If you do choose to visit Arenal and a Pacific Beach I suggest flying in and out of Liberia.

cheers

Jerry

p.s. consider getting a travel agent who knows something about Costa Rica.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 12:10 PM

i think Tortuguero is probably too much, do a tour of Cano Negra from La Fortuna, you´ll see more wildlife floating down the river and it´s only about USD45p.p for the day tour.
Tamarindo is a `party´town but has a lot of good restaurantsand hotels and will be very busy in December.
i lived in Playa Hermosa and it´s a nice beach you might find it a bit `small town`if you´re looking to party but you can party no problem in the next town of playas del coco- about 6kn- USD10 taxi ride away.
here are my travelblogs for you to get some more ìnside´info:
http://costa-rica.typepad.com/la_for...ome/index.html

http://costa-rica.typepad.com/playas...ome/index.html

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/tamarindo/home/index.html

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/playa_...ome/index.html
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 01:54 PM

Thank you all for some excellent advice which you gave to filmwil. I have used some of your input and posted my itinerary in a new post from alandmim for our trip today 8/14. I would appreciate your advice.