Search

Need driving advice SJ to MA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need driving advice SJ to MA

Hi Everybody,

we are flying to San Jose just before Christmas and are planning on renting an SUV to drive to Manual Antonio (Hotel Parador). Our flight doesn't get in until 1:45 pm, and by the time we're on the road it's probably one hour later.
Would we be able to make it before it's dark, and if we don't, what then?
Or should take the plane to Quepos instead?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 08:03 AM

It's about a 3 hour drive , so the last bit of your drive could be in the dark .... Let's say you arrive at 2 , and finished customs and luggage etc. by 3 . You are in your car by 3:30 , then it's a good 3 hour drive and it gets dark around 5:30 . The Nature Air and Sansa flights have their last flights around 2:00ish I believe ??? So if thats the case you will not have enough time . Another option is to hire a driver , it will cost the same as your flights give or take ..... ( Carlos is used a lot here , type his name into the search function )
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 08:17 AM

Had almost identical circumstances and decided to drive myself. Yes, when it gets dark, it can become difficult. There are no street lights, the roads are in poor conditions in many areas and the locals normally walk the streets at night, but if you know all this, it isn't a problem. You should make the main road into MA by dark and just follow the road into Quepos and up the hill to MA. If you get lost, there are plenty of locals who will gladly help you out. It made the trip more fun and interesting for me, my wife on the other hand wasn't as impressed.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Hi faithie, ewesthoff,

thanks for the prompt reply!

According to Sansa's flight schedule there is one later flight at 4:30 pm getting there at 4:55 pm.

Do the domestic flights depart at the same San Jose Airport(SJO) or would we have to change airports once we get there?

My husband likes to drive, and I think it would be a great way to discover the country. We've been driving around in Puerto Rico not knowing what we were getting into, but came out ok in the end. Now I'd like to plan ahead and get some advice from other people before I make a decision.

By the way - do US phones work over there? I have a GSM phone from Motorola with Cingular service.

Thanks.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 08:43 AM

Sansa fly's out of Juan Santamaria , so that sounds doable . But if your husband enjoys driving , it's also a great option . Hmmmm... decisions , decisions !!