Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Need advice quickly - My friend has no $ for CR vaccinations!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend just called me frantic (voice mail) because her insurance doesn't cover the vaccinations she and her husband need for Costa Rica, and they will cost around $1,000. We are leaving in 2 weeks and she doesn't have that kind of money. They are contemplating going without shots...

Feedback please...?
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:18 PM

Is the CDC strongly recommending any vaccinations for Costa Rica these days?
I think they should go ahead and go without whichever vaccinations they were contemplating and not worry . . .
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:27 PM

Are you from America??? If so..let me call the Ministerio de Salud tomorrow morning and ask them what kinds of shot...you may need...in some rare cases if you are coming or visiting some parts of this world..that are in the Washington Travel Advisor as a infected region...then yes you may need some shots...lets make it simple...let me know what kind of passports and where they are from..

R.A
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:29 PM

Tell us where you plan to go in Costa Rica. Unless someone is going so far off the beaten path, the typical visitor there doesn't get vaccinations. Not that something CAN'T happen, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how healthful the place is.
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

First of all - thanks for all the quick replies! To answer roadadvisor - Yes, we are from the U.S.

My friends will be joining us in San Jose, Puerto Viejo and Central Valley. My daughter and I will go on to Arenal and Osa and taking some side trips, but I'm up to date from my Thailand trip (except for Typhoid booster which my Dr. recommended) and my daughter is getting her shots next week.

So, everything looks pretty good for my friends not to worry too much?
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:05 PM

I am going to be calling the Ministerio de Salud (Health Dept. ) first thing in the morning!!

I am going to ask them based on the little information I have from you...

R.A Luis

Old May 7th, 2007, 07:45 PM

Have your friends looked into their local county health department? In Oregon update boosters for tetanus, MMR, etc. as well as Hep A (which every traveler should have IMO, though it's a bit late for them for this trip) are MUCH cheaper at our county health departments than at a doctor's office or travel clinic. I'm curious who told them what shots are "required" and what the shots are that cost that much.
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a bunch RA!

Hopefulist - Strange you mention Oregon, that's where they're coming from. I believe it was a Travel Clinic because they were actually going to charge them $135/ea for just the "consultation". She said the shots included Hep, Typhoid, she couldn't remember the others because she stopped listening when they told her the cost! Good tips, maybe she can check with her own Dr.

Thanks!
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:57 PM

It's not too late for Hep A. You can take the first of the two shots two weeks before vacation and the second shot afterwards.

Not having the Typhoid vaccination is not a big deal. I've traveled all over Latin America without it. But Hep A and B are important to have, and not just for travel reasons.

Btw, I would try to get your daughter's shots this week, not next, to insure the maximum protection possible.
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:29 PM

hills27 - good points. I'd forgotten that you got some immunity even from the 1st shot.

hip - Seriously, have them look up their county health department. I'm sure Wasco County isn't the only one with state subsidies that keep the costs down. Where do your friends live? There's an inexpensive travel doc in Portland - an amazing elderly multi-lingual man worth going to just to meet him.
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:09 AM

I would also have your friend call their own Dr. One of my friends had to pay for some of the serum, but then the nurse at their DR injected- much cheaper. Also check when their last tetnus booster was. Insurance should cover that (Every 10 years)

Your friend should have (and not just for travel) a tetnus booster, Hep A and Hep B. Hep A is a seried of 2 shots, a year apart. Hep b is a series of 3 (That all children, healthcare and safety forces workers get now). Even the first shot conveys some immunity.
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:10 AM

Obviously I'm not the CDC and people have to do what makes them feel comfortable--but we went to the Central Valley, MA, and Osa for our honeymoon in January and did not get shots. We felt that we were going to popular areas with low incidence of those diseases. I don't have a high risk tolerance at all--but this didn't seem risky to us.

Again, your friends need to do what makes them comfortable, but you aren't going off the beaten path and I would think that they should just go ahead as planned (as glover noted in the first post).

Old May 8th, 2007, 06:22 AM

I just call the Costa Rica Health Dpt..I talked to Dr. Henry Waserman..The American citizens as today...DO NOT require any shots to come to Costa Rica. So your friend can travel without shots...

R.A
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all SO MUCH for all the great and helpful information. I will pass all of it along to my friends and they can decide to err on the side of caution...or not. Personally, I usually do!

Hopefulist - In answer to your question, they are in Bend.

Hills 27 - My daughter has had Hep A and B, but I think this will be a 3rd (booster maybe) so I think all is good. I procrastinated on the appt, and this is the soonest we can get in

RA - Thanks for making the phone call

Everyone else - your opionion and suggestions are much appreciated!
Old May 8th, 2007, 11:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The advice to contact their own normal physician is good advice.

I mean think about it, a travel clinic is likely planning to make profit from selling vaccinations, right?
Old May 8th, 2007, 02:19 PM

As for us, many visits, nary a shot! As for the CDC, it is their job to err on the side of caution or otherwise be held liable for lack of warnings. That said, CR is a VERY healthful place to be.

Last summer, our 24 year old daughter sustained a dog bite from a German shepherd and she was without a tetanus booster. It was not a big deal to go get a quick injection. Health care there is very reliable.

I was a bit more worried about the rabies issue, and all we had to go on was the assurance of the dog's owner (he was in the backyard, not out roaming--long story) and people who knew the dog's owner that the dog was well cared for and would of course be up to date on his rabies.

Still. . .made me a bit nervous! In a foreign country, it isn't as common for "authorities" to follow up on dog bites apparently.

My doctor wouldn't have a clue!

Hipvirgochick, hi! I have family in Bend. I THINK they are fairly well known and have owned a large plumbing business for many years. Firkus Plumbing. I visited there once, when I was in junior high. Still remember lunch at the Pine Tavern--excellent restaurant and still there I understand (after all these years!)
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:57 PM

IMHO, everyone should have Hep A and B, even if they don't travel. You never know who is preparing your food - in the US and outside.
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:00 PM

Totally agree. As teachers, we've been required to have them for years--and so have the students. Everyone should have both whether traveling or not. It's just a good precaution.
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:01 PM

According to the CDC Costa Rica is not a high risk area for Hep B. I suppose if you were planning on becoming VERY close friends with the locals or even other tourists you should plan on having the shots.

Hep A is probably a good idea for everyone, anywhere although I didn't take it until just a couple of years ago and I have been traveling to Central America since the early 90's. It can pop up even in the U.S.

I have never taken the malaria meds although I did worry about it when I was in Nicaragua and one part of Guatemala.

I go along with the comfort level. You learn the risks and you make a judgement call based on what you feel is best for you. Sometimes you win and sometimes you loose. There are people who just feel better about taking the malaria med and that is fine. Malaria does happen in CR. Not very often but it is around.
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

I'm thankful this post is getting so many responses as it's bound to help others as well.

My guess is, my friends will most likely NOT get the shots...I suggested they at least get the Hep, but also that I would leave them alone now

Shillmac - I'll mention Firkus to my friends and see if they know the name. Pine Tavern sounds very familiar too. I grew up in Eugene, but I'm in Seattle now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -