Need advice on Gandoca Manzanillo Reserve in CR

Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on Gandoca Manzanillo Reserve in CR

I would like to hike and snorkel Gandoca Manzanillo Reserve in the south caribbean region of costa rica.
Does anyone have any expierence with this reserve?
Thanks
J
Old May 12th, 2005, 12:42 PM

We didn't go into the reserve but heard good things about it. We stayed just a couple miles from there at Aguas Claras in Playa Cocles. By that point in our trip (three and a half weeks in) we were about reserved out. I heard people enjoyed the snorkeling.

Happy travels,

Julie
Old May 12th, 2005, 05:54 PM

Hey Julie, my daughter and I visited the Aguas Claras property in October and it looked wonderful. You'd recommend it? We'll be there again in July.
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:18 AM

Yes Jill, We really loved Aguas Claras. We had planned on staying three days at Chalet Hibiscus in Cahuita and really didn't like what we were seeing out the bus window as we approached Cahuita. Several people in the bus dissuaded us from even getting off the bus. We stayed on a few more miles and alighted in front of Aguas Claras (again the trusty Blake book....A New Key) and loved it so much we stayed SIX days instead of three. We were inh the yellow cottage. Flory and Mario are good people. They were babysitting their grand-dog when we were there, a cute little black lab. My kids loved speaking spanish to the dog ! They were building a little "soda" as we were departing. Haven't seen it finished yet. How did it look when you were there? Gotta run. Off to interpret for the (alleged) criminals...

Blessings, Julie
Old May 13th, 2005, 04:30 AM

The little soda was on the left at the entrance, right? It was a typical little family affair. It must have been Mario who came out and visited with my daughter and I. We were biking up and down the road and stopped to looked at a few places. I loved the look of these little cottages. They were beautiful. We didn't move on through the property to the beach to check out the proximity, but from what you have said, it was right there through the trees. We'll consider this place for sure. What did you think of the Tree House and the Beach House (another property)? Did you see either? We thought they looked like a lot of fun as well. Thanks!
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 05:08 PM

I stayed for 2 weeks on the reserve last year doing sea turtle conservation. What an experience! If you are in Gandoca, there is a small independent colony of hippy people that run a snorkel excursion on Monkey Point (the little peninsula north of Gandoca). It is not a business, so I can't guarantee its reliability, but Monkey Point is the only beach in the area with coral and relatively clear waters. If you want to experience true Carribean culture and rough it in the rain forest, Gandoca is the place for you. Mosquitos are the size of Boeing 757's, so bring some repellant. When in the town of Gandoca, ask for Maria's house, the best rice and beans I had in CR. Just stop by and ask if you could buy a meal of rice and beans, she'll be happy to cook some up. Most everybody is as friendly as Maria in Gandoca, but it is the furthest place from a resort. Good Luck!
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 05:30 PM

brmazz, you should post this again under "Simple Pleasures"--it sure fits!