Search

Need a 4WD to Samara?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a 4WD to Samara?

My family and I are visiting Costa Rica the 1st week in October (rainy season).
My question to you veterans out there is do I need to rent a 4WD or will a regular midsize get us there and back???
We are only planning on driving directly to Samara and back and not around Guanacaste itself.
Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 03:18 PM

We are travelling for the third time to Costa Rica this August. We rent a 4WD when we visit. We have never used it. We've been to Tamarindo in Guanacaste, and as popular as it is, you'd think the roads would be paved. They are not. Although we haven't needed the 4WD (yet), it's nice to know we have it just in case. Samara is south of Tamarindo about 20 minutes, less inhabited, and I'd definitely feel more comfortable with a 4WD going there in the rainy season. I hear it is a beautiful beach! We are also thinking of going there, in August. Where are you staying? There really is very little to choose from.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Iza

The road to Samara is paved and in good shape (at least it was in August 2003). You will NOT need a 4x4 if you are driving to Samara from either San Jose or Liberia. However, if you want to venture outside of Samara and explore various beach towns in Guanacaste, I would probably recommend a 4x4 as a lot of the beach towns do not have paved roads.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 04:48 PM

Hi Iza!
Your posts helped me plan my last trip! What do you know about Villa Kalimbas in Samara? Do you think it's a comfortable drive to get from there to Tamarindo for dinner in the early evening? Is there enough to do in Samara to stay for more than a couple of days? (i.e. are the beaches worth the remoteness?).
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 07:45 PM

Consider a mid size 4x4 not in terms of power, also in terms of cleareance and luggage capacity.
How many people?
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:24 AM

Samara will take you longer than 20 minutes from Tamarindo. Depending on your route (coastal road or Santa Cruz/Nicoya and back to coastal road)I think a day trip would be more comfortable than dinner where your return trip would be driving in the dark.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Iza

Anita, I have not stayed at Villas Kalimba but their website looks really nice and there were several great reviews of that place on this board. I would definitely consider staying there. As to the Samara to Tamarindo drive - it really is at least a couple of hours. You should not drive along the coast but go through Nicoya.

We stayed in Nosara in 2003 and regretted not staying in Samara instead. Samara is a pleasant little town (probably similar to Tamarindo 10 years ago ;-), the main beach is very nice and Playa Carillo just south of Samara is really beautiful. I would consider staying in Samara for 2-3 nights.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 06:53 AM

Anita, I'm guessing the drive is closer to 3 hours. Definitely not do-able for dinner. Do a search on Fodor's for Villas Kalimba--there have been some good reviews, particularly from a poster called "trevorjoyce".
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 10:56 AM

The road to Samara is still paved and still in good condition. You will not need a 4x4 even in the rainy season, but do watch for potholes whice can become quite large in the rainy season.
I did not stay at Villa Kilamba's but did go on the property and looked at a room for future trips.
I loved it. It's clean and nicely done. I thought it was a little strange that the dinning tables are all outside (under covered porches) and that there are no tables inside, but that's okay as long as you don't mind sitting outside. The owners/mamagers are very nice too.
As for things to do, besides the lovely beach there is good fishing in the area, horseback riding, and other tours, I'm sure.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 01:55 PM

Thanks to all for clarifying the travel time between Tamarindo and Samara. This makes a big difference. Samara looks like a nice area. It seems cleaner than Tamarindo? I was able to find & view pics of the area (inc. Villas Kalimba)
from "trevorjoyce". I'm trying to book 4 days at Villas Kalimba. Thanks for the help.