My 9-day Costa Rica Itinerary!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a lot of helpful advice from various folks on this site, I think I have solidified my itinerary. I have posted it below in case anyone has any comments or its useful to anyone else planning a trip. PS: Originally I was going to go to the Osa Peninsula, but changed to Manuel Antonio at the last minute because it ended up being a little cheaper and some of the places I wanted to book at Osa were booked! (just means I have to go back!)

Thurs 08-May arrive at 9am and transfer to Orquideas Inn. Arrange for private driver pick us up and take us to La Paz and around Lima for the evening.
Fri 09-May Check out of Orquideas Inn and take bus to Arenal (Check into either Lost Iguana or Hotel Silencio). Check out the Hot Springs for the evening.
Sat 10-May Arenal -Volcano Hike
Sun 11-May Arenal -Cano Negro
Mon 12-May Arenal -La Fortuna waterfall or Lake Arenal kayakings
Tue 13-May Leave Arenal and take bus to Manuel Antonio and check in to Villas Nicholas
Wed 14-May Manuel Antonio -beach
Thurs 15-May Manuel Antonio -hike the park
Fri 16-May Manuel Antonio
Sat 17-May Leave MA and take bus to SJO for 5:30 pm evening departure home

Old Mar 26th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

ooops, I meant "San Jose", not "Lima"!!! That is what happens when you plan too many trips!
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 12:53 PM

Looks like things are shaping up nicely for your trip, kitamaria!

It's a bummer that you had to drop the Osa (which is truly amazing) but MA is fun and as you say, you can always go back!

Orquideas Inn has a tour desk right in the lobby that can help you plan your excursion for that first day in CR. If Luis Barrantes is working that day, I would definitely recommend using him as your driver/guide. He's very personable and an absolute sweetheart!

In Arenal, you may also want to look into a visit to the Hanging Bridges, which is a series of walkways suspended up in the tree canopy to give you a different perspective of the flora and fauna in the area. You could probably fit this into your Volcano Hike day. Just depends on how much you want to see and do...

In MA, there is a neat Mangrove Tour (Damas Island) that you can take. There is also a highly recommended horse-back riding excursion in the area (Finca Valmy, I believe). Once again, depends on how much you want to see and do.

I would recommend the second beach inside the Nat'l park as an option for your beach day. It's very pretty and sheltered. Some of the beaches in the area can have strong rip currents, so just be aware of that...

Funny that you mentioned Lima in your first post. I'm doing research on a potential Peru trip even as I type this.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks cmerrell! Your prior posts (including ones on BdC were especially helpful. In fact I feel like I know the place, even though I have never been. Thanks for the extra recommendations. Would you recommend booking a driver ahead of time, or is this typically done on a same day basis?

Hope you have a great time in Peru! I planned a whole trip (was going to hike MP), but decided to do CR first. I literally have potential trips and itineraries several years out!
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the nice compliments on my prior ramblings! ;-)

I got such great advice here when I was planning both of my CR trips and it's fun to add my own recommendations to the mix.

Since you plan to do some exploring right out of the gate, I would contact Orquideas about lining something up. You'd hate to arrive only to discover that their drivers were already reserved for the day.

La Paz is a great plan for your introduction to the countryside. It's a gorgeous place!

I hear you on the list of potential future trips/itineraries. I'm totally the same.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 06:48 PM

Well we'll miss ya at Bosque! But your plan sounds great and I echo cam on asking for Luis - I booked a day tour a while ago for our upcoming May trip and I emailed them that it had to be Luis!
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 07:11 PM

May is coming fast for both of you, kitamaria and tully! I'm pretty much green with envy!
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

sorry if i am confused, but is it best to have the hotel contact Luis for me or arrange the driver? I got his email address of one of these boards and was going to just email him (or Orlando) and see if I could make arrangements like that.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 11:13 AM

Luis B works for Wady Tours which operates out of Orquideas Inn. You can email them directly, their website is http://www.emotionguaranteed.com/