Notices

"Must Do" activities in the Cayo

Old Apr 9th, 2003, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Must Do" activities in the Cayo

We'll be arriving on a Saturday evening and are staying four nights. I'm thinking of taking a day trip to Tikal. What other activities do you recommend? We like to be active, but aren't overly athletic. We'll be with our two children (10,12).
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 03:21 AM

Lynne, if you have only four nights why won't you visit Lamanai ruins or Xunantunich. They are smaller but wonderful. Besides there is so much to do and see in Belize. Save Tikal for your next trip and stay there overnight. It is a magical place, IMHO, especially when staying there overnight

Where are you staying?
Do you think your kids would like snorkeling? We heard that every kid who visits Belize loves this activity. And snorkeling is such easy activity for everyone regardless of physical fitness.

If you are staying in San Pedro taking a day trip to Lamanai is easy and it will be unforgettable. I would say four nights (three days) is just enough for water activities and a day trip to Lamanai. Whatever you decide have a great time
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 04:11 AM

If it all possible, definately visit Tikal and a day trip from Cayo will be fine. If your kids don;t have the attention span for a full day trip with 4 hrs road travel, visit Xunantiunich ruins, a 1/2 day guided trip from town. I'd definately book Barton Creek Cave-paddle a canoe a few miles into an underground river cave in a Mennonite farm community in the jungle. There is a buttefly farm nearby and two more closer to town. Canoeing or kayaking, the San Ignacio Hotel has an Igunana breeding project, horses, other ruins and other scenic day trips into the jungle. Lamanai is a great day trip (monkeys, crocs, manatees and water birds), but it doesnt make sene logistically to visit this ruin from Cayo.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 05:41 AM

Katie's suggestions are great. I ignored a fact that you mentioned Cayo. Sorry
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the advice. We're staying at Chaa Creek for four nights - and then we're heading to San Pedro for four more. Sounds like we'll have the best of both worlds!