Multi-generation trip--Mexico?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We hope to get a group together this December to celebrate a 50th anniversay. Ages range from 3-73 -- I know the couple has never been to Mexico and that might be a good option. Hubby and I have been to Cancun three times -- we stayed at the Ritz Carlton twice and the Mrriot Casa Magna once. However, I really don't like being on a huge hotel strip. I think for this type of group an AI is the best option. While we would love to explore other parts of Mexico, I think the others would enjoy places like x-caret and Tulum. So, finally, my question. What is a great bang-for you buck high-end option on the Rivera Maya? Or, what other areas in Mexico's couple great beaches with other outside activities. I'm trying to figure out how to satisfy people with different budgets and interests. Please help!
Old May 26th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

anybody?
Old May 26th, 2008, 01:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I go to Puerto Vallarta every year. It's a fabulous destination that offers all that you seek (well except obviously it's not on the Caribbean side, on the Mayan Riviera or near Tulum!)

How about the Casa Magna Marriott in PV?
Old May 26th, 2008, 08:55 PM

Have you considered a condo in Playa del Carmen? There is so much to do right in PdC and of course it is very close to Tulum and Xcaret. LunaEncanta looked lovely from the beach and we met a family staying there.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Sorry. I got busy and was unable to respond for awhile. Thanks for your suggestions. But, I really would like to be on the Carribean side. Also, I think with a large group an All-Inclusive would be easier than condos. Any other ideas?
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 06:25 AM

misha, Check out the Barcelo complex in Riviera Maya. It is located between Xcaret and Tulum. It is 3 resorts in one with 3 price levels There is Beach/Caribe at the low end (if you want to call it that), Colonial/Tropical in the mid, and the new Palace for the high end. All share one of the best beaches in the RM (2 km of beach from one end to the other). There are 2 kids water parks. We have been there twice. Check out this website for lots of info and pics.

http://www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/site/

There are lots of resorts between Cancun and Tulum and trying to pick one can make you pull your hair out. I did lots of research and felt Barcelo met most of our needs and it does. Will answer any more questions if you have any.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 06:51 AM

I also was going to suggest condos in Playa Del Carmen. The area is loaded with restaurants, shopping and all kinds of activities. There are a few condo complexes within walking distance of the main part of town. Many have pools and are on the beach. You can also hire a cook if you prefer to eat in the condo. The PDC area is near the ruins (Coba and Tulum) as well as the eco parks (xcaret and xel-ha) and the ferry to Cozumel.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 12:25 PM

I suggested a condo, but see you'd prefer an AI. We have stayed at Barcelo several years ago. It's a very nice resort. It's a big property so there is a bit of walking depending on where your room is. The beach there is great, and there's a dock at one end of the beach where there's some good snorkelling. During the day there's all kind of activity in the pool area.

We've stayed at a few other AIs as well, the the truth is, there are none I'd be inclined to return to. We did like them when our kids were younger, but now my kids are teens, and can do a little coming and going into town on their own, so the PDC rental works out well. Also the food at AIs tends to be mediocre. I have yet to find one with truly good food. Although at the Barcelo, there is lots of variety and, I do remember there usually was a grilling or carving station at dinner time where you can get some non-steamtable fresher food. The town of PDC is loaded with all kinds of restaurants, and many are very good.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look into the Iberostar Paraiso complex. Great service, gorgeous grounds, activities for all ages, etc.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 06:21 AM

The Iberostars are nice but we prefer Paradisus. The resort is more private, there is an adult only section with private beach and pool and we found the food to be better and the staff more warm and friendly.

It is on a lovely, calm stretch of beach and has good dining options.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I'll start looking into this and probably come back with other questions.