Montezuma help needed...

Old Mar 21st, 2003, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montezuma help needed...

Hi!
Can anyone tell me about the town of Montezuma in Costa Rica?
What is the town like? What is there to do there?
We would plan to go at the end of Sept for our Honeymoon- would this be a good time?
Any suggestions on where to stay while we are there? We'd like nice accomodations on the beach...

Thank you!
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 01:23 PM
Mel

Hi. I'm sure others can provide more up-to-date information, but I'll see if I can start you off. I was in Montezuma in 1997, traveling by myself. Getting there via ferry and bus was long and a bit of a pain. I liked the town - it was small and had kind of a hippie feel to it. It was not at all luxurious, nor was there much night life. I went to a cafe every night where they show a movie. The beach was wide and long, and practically deserted. I went on a short hike to a waterfall, and one day rode a horse to a waterfall at the end of the beach. I believe there is also some sort of reserve close by, but did not visit there.

I loved my accomodations; but for $5/night, I doubt it would suit for a honeymoon. The weather in August was beautiful and dry - no rain. I'm not sure how common that is for the rainy season, though the Nicoya peninsula is generally drier than other parts of the country.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Mel!

Does anyone else have opinions/suggestions on Montezuma?
Any hotel rec's?
Thanks!
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 03:25 PM

I was there in jan 2000 and did not like it at all. it is a dirty dump. It is a place that was probably paradise 20 years ago but the guide books keep recommending it even though it is now far different. people go there for the drugs hard drugs and it has a creepy weird feeling. I left after 2 days. it is a beautiful area but has been spoiled. Go some where else CR has so much to offer. Cabuya is 8kms further down the road . It was nice in 2000 I hope the it has not changed much. mal Pais has changed alot but it would make a wondeful honeymoon place as it is spread out along the road and has many types of accomodation. Samara or Carillo would also be nice. Sept is one of the rainier months but should not be too bad on the nicoya peninsula.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 08:22 PM

Maren - I was in Montezuma last June and stayed at the Amor de Mar for 2 nights. It's a nice, small hotel on a beautiful headland about 1 km. south of town. (www.amordemar.com)
Montezuma is a beautiful area, but like Zman said above, it is very shall we say "bohemian." It's also a very, very young town, which may not be a deal to young newlyweds, but at 40, I felt ancient next to most of the people I saw there.
I also found Montezuma to be uncomfortably hot and humid compared to other parts of the Pacific coast. Of course, we were there in the rainy season (end of June), but I can't help but think that it would be even more so in September.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your opinions!

Does anyone have any suggestions on other places we could go to instead of Montezuma? We'd be heading out in September so we're looking at the Pacific Coast hoping for drier weather.

Any opinions on Tamarindo, Playa Samara, Playa Nosara, other suggestions?

We'd like a town/village that offers some shops, good resturants and a nice hotel.

Thank you!
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 07:13 AM

I'm glad you decided against Montezuma that was wise. samara is a nice little town, you can walk every where . It has some good Italian restaurants and a spanish one. Sept and Oct are the rainiest months so there will be few tourists and some places may be closed. It will be cheaper and quieter though. The north pacific side is dryer . I was in samara in aug and it did not even rain. I like the brisas de pacifico and fenix in samara on the beach a short walk from town. the road is paved all the way to samara , good in the wet season. a nice a/c bus goes there from San Jose. Nosara is also nice and only 20 miles north. The last 20 miles the road is rough and in the wet season you would need 4x4. It has many n americans who have houses there. It is all spread out more in a untouched jungle setting . there are 4-5 beaches in the area with little or no developement . Many hotels and restaurants spread out. You would need a vehicle to get around. I like samara as it is more Tico and european.