Search

Monteverde & Arenal areas

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monteverde & Arenal areas

We will be flying in to SJO from Panama and are thinking of staying in the airport area the 1st night.
Then we are considering taking the Interbus service to the Monteverde Area and staying 2nts. We wish to see the hanging bridges, volcano and cloud forest.
I can't get a grasp of the distance and travel time between Arenal & Monteverde area
Does anyone have a suggestion as to where we should stay?
Thanks so much for your help.
Bruce
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 08:19 AM

Hi Bruce,

From my own trip planning, I've read that Arenal and Monteverde are both around 3 hours from San Jose, but it's 3-4 hour drive between Arenal and Monteverde. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I've also read in these message boards to stay out of San Jose and to stay in the area closer to the airport. Some hotels that I've read about are Orquideas Inn, Xandari and Vista del Valle.

good luck!
-carol
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Carol,

Thanks for your response. I'm still working on our trip that we will be taking in November. This site is a big help.

Bruce
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 03:57 PM

In Jan. 2000 we stayed at Hotel Buena Vista outside San Jose. There is a shuttle (at least there was)that was waiting to pick us up and took us back to the airport when we wanted to go. My husband and I really enjoyed the quiet, peaceful setting of the hotel.The staff was friendly and helpful.

On that same trip we drove from Arenal to Monteverde. It took us 5 hours. Maybe a bit more. The roads were horrible. It poured while we were on a tour of Monteverde, but we did see the quetzal, although that is probably not spelled correctly. We got a guide through our hotel. I really wished I had taken boots for mud and rain with me, because I ended up waiting in a long line in the rain to rent rubber boots. Monteverde was not the most fun part of the trip. Seemed like it rained the whole time we were in the area. Just don't plan to make good time on the roads. Unless they are vastly improved, most of it will be slow going.
krisz
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 04:46 AM

Vida Tropical is a great budget minded place right near the airport. They will pick you up. They guys there are great and more than willing to help you enjoy your trip by giving advice regarding bus schedules, hotels etc. They even have a crash spanish course.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 04:49 AM

It is about 2 1/2 hrs from the airport to Arenal. From the airport to Monteverde it is 3 1/2-4 hrs. Depending on how you go (horse, jeep, car) to Monteverde from Arenal it can be anywhere from 3 (horse, jeep) to 5hrs(car).