Monteverde Accomodation- HELP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need to book 3 nights accomodation in MV. Any Recs? Tried to get a room at Monteverde Lodge but nothing available. Looking for something deluxe with good comforts and scenary.

Old Feb 18th, 2008, 08:34 PM

The first thing to I would say about Monteverde, is there is not really anything in the area that I would classify as "Deluxe". Don't forget that this is a Quaker farming community, surrounded by pastures and cloudforest. The attraction here is the nature, not the hotels. You won't find anything like the beach resorts here.

There is a fairly new hotel, El Establo. This is the closest thing to a resort up here. Very large, and they have a spa and good views.

I like El Sapo Dorado, and the Terrace Sunset Suites have good views. Probably the best restaurant in the area too.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can offer more advice.

Warm Regards,
Pat Hewitt
(Travel professional)
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 02:10 AM

Scollard, we're having the same issue - very hard to decide where to stay. Have you checked out Fonda Vela? The new junior suites look nice, there's a restaurant on site, nice grounds, and it's near the Cloud Forest. It gets good reviews.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 08:38 AM

Scollard, let us know what you decide. Have you tried looking at the reviews and pictures at tripadvisor.com? That's always a pretty good source of information; also Pat is a Monteverde expert so full of good info. for you. Good luck!
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 02:17 PM

I stayed at Fonda Vela and loved it. The Jr. Suites are huge.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 03:01 PM

dariow, how was the food at Fonda Vela? And did you feel like you were too isolated there? I think it looks like a great spot, but was wondering how you got back and forth to town.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:10 PM

The food was not so good and expensive at Fonda Vela. The staff was wonderful though.

Most of the tours picked me up at the hotel and I took a cab into town for dinner and night walking tours.

The Jr Suite rooms were fantastic and huge.

I really liked this place.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:31 PM

Thanks, dariow; that's what I had heard about the food, but sounds like there are plenty of places in town to eat and that are easy enough to get to via cab. We're kind of torn between this place and another spot called Rainbow Valley Lodge.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:17 AM

Actually I was not impressed with any of the food in Monteverde.

My favorite thing by far in Monteverde is the night walks. When I was there a few years ago, there were 4 of them and I did them all. I had an opportunity to see a lot of wild life including the Quetzal (sp)

The zip line in Monteverde was better than other places as well. They were longer and the views were spectacular and at the end they tie you to a vine and push you off a cliff. It was spectacular.

The people at Fonda Vela were very nice and helpful and again, the rooms were huge.

I was in Monteverde after that horrible bank robbery hence the mood in the town was samber. I visited the bank president to offer my condolences.

Have fun in Monteverde and be careful if you are driving. Those roads are NASTY!!