Monte Alban Question

Old Dec 29th, 2019, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Monte Alban Question

I am in Oaxaca staying just north of Reforma. I want to go to Monte Alban sometime in the next two weeks. I know I can take a tour, but I will be going alone and mY want to spend the day there. I know someone knows the other options, taxi, collective? Is it easy to catch either to come bCk into town etc.
Thanks
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 09:20 PM

The "tour" I took wasn't a tour in the usual sense, just a ride up & back with hours in between to wander at leisure, eat lunch in the nice cafe & see the museum, relaxed & plenty of time. I suspect if the allotted time wasn't enough you might arrange to ride back down on a later van. Ask. Considering how convenient it was I can't imagine going to the additional expense of private transport. The vans leave from the Hotel Rivera del Ángel, phone +52 951 516 6666, https://www.hotelriveradelangel.com/

PS - How did you get to town from the airport?

Last edited by MmePerdu; Dec 29th, 2019 at 09:22 PM.
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 09:29 PM

Monte Alban day, including the shuttle: https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/ana...ca-monte-alban
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 11:41 PM

We got a the shuttle bus run by Autobuses Turísticos which took around 20 mins and cost around 60 pesos. We got the buse from their office but most seem to get on at Hotel Rivera del Angel where I think they also had an office. We had a timed ticked for our return but just jumped on the first bus when we had finished looking around. A very worthwhile trip - a couple of photos @ https://accidentalnomads.com/2019/03/06/oaxaca/

I agree with MmePerdue, given the ease of getting there and back, there is little point in getting private transport. I think we spent around three hours at the site and were glad we went in te morning before it got too hot.
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Hello Mme. - Our AirBnb actually arranged a car. We might have over paid a little, $300 for two but it was direct. I did see a number of taxi options at the airport and the collective buses look OK. It would have cost us about $190 for the colectivo. So for an additional $5 we went private. Which is a hoot because the FlyAway near our home in LA, the taxi ride is usually $11 to go two miles! Thanks for the Hotel Riviera tip!
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tdiddy12 View Post
Hello Mme. - Our AirBnb actually arranged a car. We might have over paid a little, $300 for two but it was direct. I did see a number of taxi options at the airport and the collective buses look OK. It would have cost us about $190 for the colectivo. So for an additional $5 we went private. Which is a hoot because the FlyAway near our home in LA, the taxi ride is usually $11 to go two miles! Thanks for the Hotel Riviera tip!
An excellent choice & a bargain. Good job.

PS: You're very welcome.
Old Dec 31st, 2019, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone remember how much it costs to get into Monte Alban? I would like to make sure I have more than enough. Also is the museum included in the entry price?
Old Dec 31st, 2019, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tdiddy12 View Post
Does anyone remember how much it costs to get into Monte Alban? I would like to make sure I have more than enough. Also is the museum included in the entry price?
As far as I can recall it was 70 pesos and I think that included the interpretive centre
Old Dec 31st, 2019, 10:17 AM

Correct.

"The entrance fee $70 pesos per person, which includes entry to the museum, but no map."

https://www.offpathtravels.com/monte-alban-oaxaca/
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great link, Madame!
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 07:15 PM

I caught a shuttle from Oaxaca City. We just showed up in the bus company office. Bus was clean and easy to catch. Transportaciones Turisticas Mitla was the name of the bus company. I paid 60 pesos round trip.
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the info. Going tomorrow!
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Hi all !
Went to Monte Alban and had a wonderful time. Ended up using Lescas Co. Tours, but just the shuttle no tour. Cost has gone up to 80 pesos round trip. Keep you return ticket. One guy with family couldn’t find his and they wouldn’t let him on.Got there in a half hour, on the property by 9AM. Maybe 20 other people. Price for Monte Alban has also gone up to $80 pesos. Looks like it might have just gone up because the new price was taped over the old. Still a bargain, a must see if you like “bricks” as my wife calls archaeological sites!