Search

Monkeys and Sloths?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2018, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monkeys and Sloths?

Planning a short trip to Costa Rica (1 week), much of it being spent around Arenal.
Years ago we went to Manuel Antonio and loved it but we don't want to do that much driving for a short trip. Can anyone tell me where I can see monkeys and sloths around Arenal?
Thanks
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 07:18 AM

Yes, we've been there several times. There are a few places that will give you a good chance. I'd recommend staying at the Arenal Observatory Lodge out by the lake. It has the best wildlife and trails of any hotel in the area. Since it's away from town, you have a better shot at seeing it. We've seen howler monkeys both times we've stayed there. They also have a free guided hike every morning at 8:30; the guides know where the animals tend to hang out, so that will give you a good shot as well. In addition to howlers, we've seen toucans and coatis there. For tours, I'd highly recommend doing the Bogarin Trail - it's close to town and known for having sloths. I like that it's owned by a local family. A guided tour was $35 per person, and our guide found five sloths for us when we did it. Also saw some cool birds, an owl, and both poison dart and red-eyed tree frogs. There are a couple of other nice tours where we've seen wildlife - the Cano Negro tour with Desafio is excellent; we've seen capuchin monkeys each time we've done it, as well as caimans, and water birds; you can also see them on the Penas Blancas safari float usually. Have also seen monkeys and toucans on our volcano hike. For anything you do, having a good guide will up your chances. Sometimes we walk right by things until our guides point them out.
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Perfect, thank you volcanogirl .... great information!
Old Jun 10th, 2018, 06:41 PM

Happy to help. Have a great trip!
Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 10:24 AM

Among the places I went to La Selva Biological Station had monkeys and sloth.

Good luck.
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 02:32 PM

Unfortunately La Selva just had a tornado at the end of May with 1,000 plus trees down, so they're working to clear the trails. Hopefully back up and running soon.