money in costa rica

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
money in costa rica

I think I am understanding that cash and small bills is what we need to take. Is the American dollar accepted fairly freely. any problem cashing travels check. Also what kind of voltage for a hair dryer thank you
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:35 PM
jeg

Yes, the dollar seemed to be accepted by everyone. It wasn't that easy cashing traveler's checks. We were able to cash $20.00 - $50.00 at a time (at hotels -- we didn't try banks).
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:42 PM

we always use dollars - never had a problem. carry a small calculator for convenience. should be able to cash smaller trav. cks. at you hotel.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:49 PM

In Alajuela & MA, I never had any problem with USD. Sometimes they even asked me if I wanted change in colones or USD. The voltage is the same, I bought a tiny $8 hair dryer at Target & it worked fine.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 04:16 AM

The only place they didn't take USD when we tried was a small A&P convenience store. Most everywhere else took USD - but we did have no bills more than a $20. We used our cc whenever we could though for the BEST exchange rate. When I got my cc statement, charges were less than the hotels estimated they would be - sometimes by about $30! But, keep in mind that ATMs and places that take ccs may not be working after a big rain, etc. Same with internet cafes. The lines get disrupted. FYI. By the way, though, I thought it was easier using colones personally.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 10:03 AM

We would much rather use colones. First thing we do is exchange our dollars. It is definitely easier to do transactions with colones although we have never had a problem with using dollars. We just take a little cash, then rely on ATM's as we go. Once in a while, we'll have an ATM problem, but not regularly. Travler's cheques are good for hotels as are credit cards. We use our cards frequently and it hasn't been a problem. So far, in many trips, all the charges have been our own! But we understand the use of cards could be a bit risky. It's a good idea not to have all your eggs in one basket! That is, make use of both cards and cash, and keep your cash in 2 or 3 different places for security!
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 11:53 AM

This topic has come up on Canadian forum as well. Sure, Ticos will gladly accept the US Dollar, but as a sign of respect as a visitor to a foreign country it seems right to use the local currency.
Just my opinion.

Jerry
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 07:41 AM

On a side note, in regards to "respect" about using national currency in CR, I can say from my experience working as and around guides that they actually prefer US dollars as payment, tips, what have you. They get more bang for that buck than if you gave them colones.

Smaller establishments that work more on a cash basis, prefer colones because it's less hassle for them. If and when you do use dollars, be sure to bring them in as perfect condition as possible. This also goes for travellers checks, which I agree with other recent posters are more trouble than they're worth.