Money Belts, Passports, and the Beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be staying just south of Puerto Viejo for three weeks in June in a rented house. I plan to spend a lot of time at the beach, surfing and snorkling. From what I've read, legally, you're supposed to have your passport with you at all times. I've also read you can keep your passport in a safe at your lodging and carry a copy. I just found out the other day from the owner of the house I'm renting that the safe is broken. I've been looking at money belts/security pouches online. So, here are my questions:

1. Do I need to have my passport on me at all times when out of the house, or is a copy okay?
2. Since I won't have a safe, regardless of the answer to #1, would you recommend I keep my passport (and cash and debit card) on me at all times when out of the house?
3. What should I do when I go to the beach? I've read you shouldn't leave anything lying on the beach when you go swimming. Should I look into some kind of device that is waterproof that I can wear while in the water?

Thanks in advance for your answers, suggestions, and ideas.

Jay
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:47 AM

It is a little known fact that CR is #1 in the world

for US passport theft(street value 3-5K)

room safes are frequently NOT safe

always keep mine in my moneybelt on my person at all times

worn to the front under clothing.

it is also the CR law...

there are waterproof money belts but

you should never be swimming alone

always can leave with your buddy...
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:17 AM

Such a wonderful idea to think about: honey, you can't come in the water with me, because you have to sit on the passport nest. So, now we have to waterplay in shifts? Snorkel in shifts (that's not safe)?
Old May 28th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

I apologize -- I should have said in my original post that I will be by myself. If I was going to be with someone, and that person didn't want to go in the water, I'd leave it with him or her. I agree it's always safer to be in the water with someone else, but I don't have much of a choice. I think it would be better to find a waterproof, secure container and take the passport, debit card, and money in the water with me than leave it on the beach unattended.
Old May 28th, 2009, 11:16 AM

To be honest, the copy of my passport has either always stayed in the hotel safe or on me when I'm changing locations. On outings I've never brought with me and never been asked to show it. As far as swimming goes, I usually don't have wads of cash on me or credit cards, just a couple thousand colones and a camera. On the Osa beaches, I've just left my stuff on the wonderfully deserted beach, for busier places like MA or Mal Pais I've just asked someone to watch my stuff. So far, got all my stuff back!

As far as the place you're staying, I would ask that they fix the safe or provide one at their reception if they have one. If they can't do either, maybe I would switch for piece of mind.

Look into otter boxes I believe they're called.