Reload this Page >

Mexico's Rainy Season - Need Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Karen

My husband and I are considering a trip to either Ixtapa or Cozumel in late June. We love to snorkel, dive and horseback ride. How much does it actually rain this time of year? Enough to ruin our trip? Are we better off on a Caribbean island? Also, any hotel recommendations for Ixtapa/Cozumel? Thanks!

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 12:00 PM
andrea

karen, my husband and I honeymooned in Ixtapa in August 2000 which is the rainy season and it never rained once the whole week. I think we were just lucky. In general I have heard it won't rain all day anyway. we stayed at the Barcelo and had a great time. We went over to Zihuatanejo and took a boat to a beach and I cannot remember the name but you just hop on a boat from the pier. We snorkeled a bit there, however I don't think it is comparable to Cozumel, which I have heard is supposed to be amazing. La Ropa beach in Zihuatanejo is beautiful also and has calmer water than the main beach in Ixtapa. We are going to Playa del Carmen this year in July, and are hoping for good weather again.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Susan

I've been to both places, but not in June. I think - and I could be wrong - that the weather might be better in the Ixtapa area in June. I'm just basing this on comments I've heard from others. However, if it were me, I wouldn't go to Ixtapa, I'd go to Zihuatenejo instead. That's where we stayed and we much preferred it. <BR><BR>Now if you're looking for good snorkeling and diving, you're probably better off going to Cozumel. We went snorkeling a couple of times in Zihuatenejo - once to Playa los Gatos and a couple of times to Isla Ixtapa. But it wasn't great snorkeling. Cozumel is much better for that.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Karen

Andrea and Susan, thanks for the info. It certainly sounds like the best snorkeling and diving is in Cozumel. But, from what I've read Zihuatanejo sounds so much more charming. I'm not sure what to do. Also, I found a few nice hotels to choose fr in the Zihuatanejo area. I didn't see much that appealed to me in Cozumel.<BR><BR>

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Susan

Karen, don't get me wrong - I've been to Cozumel several times and I always enjoy it. It has become much more touristy with all the cruise ships stopping, but it's still a town that feels like it is in Mexico. We don't stay in big hotels and last time around (March 2000) we stayed in a charming Mayan style 'bungalow' right in town. We loved it. There's also a lot to do there beyond snorkeling, since you can easily take the ferry to Playa del Carmen (and beyond) for the day.<BR><BR>I thought that Zihuatanejo was a really charming town and really enjoyed my time there. The beach was beautiful. There were women who set up massage tables along the beach (in the less busy areas) and I had 3 massages, which was wonderful. However, I did find that there was less to do in Zihuatanejo, and not as many areas conveniently close to explore. <BR><BR>You know, what may be a deciding factor is where you're flying from and how long you have. We live in Toronto and it takes about 3 1/2 hours to get to Cancun or Cozumel. There are usually several direct flights every week. It was at least 5 hours to get to Zihuatanejo, and there aren't as many charters going there. <BR><BR>Nice dilemma to have! I'm sure you would enjoy both places.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Andrea

I would probably pick based on how active of a vacation you want. Susan is right, there isn't as much to do in Zihua, but it does have beautiful beaches and is a charming town. And it does have smaller, beautiful hotels like you have probably found I'm sure. I think if I went back I would stay in Zihua rather than Ixtapa. However, since we wanted a more active vacation this time we chose Playa del Carmen because we will have more opportunities to snokel, as well as visit ruins and take a day trip to Cozumel. So it is all a matter of what you are looking for. I am sure you will have a great time either place!

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Karen

Thanks Susan and Andrea. I think after reading both of your messages and other info on the travel forum (even though I am supposed to be working) - I may skip Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa area for now. Though I plan on getting there another time - it sounds charming. My husband and I did want to do some good diving/snorkeling but I don't think we would like Cancun or Cozumel. Maybe Isla Mujeres?

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Susan

Me again. I'm not an expert, but it so happens that we just spent a week on Isla Mujeres in March. We were there a few years ago and really had liked it a lot, but I was less enchanted this time around for a variety of reasons. Playa Norte is wonderful for swimming, but you don't have the opportunities for snorkeling that you'd have on Cozumel. You also are somewhat limited in activities (unless you just want to lie on the beach) because you're on an island and to go anywhere, you have to take the ferry back to Cancun and go from there. <BR><BR>Playa del Carmen might be good for you. You can take a day trip to Cozumel and as well, there's plenty of places south of PDC for snorkeling. We've rented a car a couple of times and done day trips. <BR><BR>Last time in that area, we had 4 nights on Cozumel and 3 in PDC. That seemed to work well for us.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 06:17 AM
mexicodan

Wettest in order;<BR><BR>Sept.-Aug.-Jul.-Oct.-Jun.<BR><BR>Dry the rest of the year!<BR><BR>adios!<BR>mexicodan<BR>www.mexicomexico.info

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Karen

Thanks for the wet months, Dan. Hopefully, June won't be too bad. Susan, I'll do some research on PDC. Are there any 5 star hotels on PDC? Any hotels you can recommend?<BR><BR>

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 10:13 AM
John

I was planning a trip to Zihuatanejo in early June and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good hotel / bungalow to stay in there. The Casa Que Canta looks amazing but is very pricey. Any suggestions for the budget conscious? I am looking to spend &lt; $100 a night. Thanks in advance!