Search

Mexico City planning: “Roma” and Roma…

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico City planning: “Roma” and Roma…

Hello all,

Now planning our February trip to Mexico City, looking for new places to go, eat, walk (the problem is that there are so many in this vast city). We have visited the city half a dozen times and have seen many of the main sights. With the release of Alfonso Cuaron’s highly praised film “Roma” I am doing homework on the Roma district. We are staying right next door, in Condesa at the Red Tree House, so it’s a good place to explore for us.

My question: does anyone have favorite restaurants, cafes, bars, places to go in Roma colonia? We ate last February at Maximo Bistrot and will definitely go back there, but now looking for more places.

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 11:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
My preferences may not be anywhere close to what you're looking for. But in Roma I Iiked Porco Rosso, (bbq & craft beers on tap) in part because I don't get either as much here as in the states. The shared picnic tables are a good way to meet people. Very casual. They have a location in Condesa too. Mercado Roma is kinda fun too.
https://mr.mercadoroma.com/home
Home - Porco Rosso
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Yes! Thank you baldone. I believe bbq pork is proof that God loves us. Shall investigate.
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 12:35 PM

I've enjoyed Fonda Fina and Rosetta (I actually liked them both better than Maximo, YMMV). I assume you've been to Contramar.
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

@traveler318: Thanks. I haven't heard about Fonda Fina, sounds great. As for Rosetta, scanning the TA reviews gives a very mixed impression of the place, as if the quality control of the food is lacking. Must do more research on this....

BTW, are there any pleasant rooftop bars in Roma for a pre-dinner cocktail? We enjoyed a couple in Oaxaca last year, what a great way to begin an evening.
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 01:24 PM

Don’t know if you visited Azul in nearby Condesa...a great spot serving fab. mole
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we ate at Azul Condesa last February, fab mole indeed. This time we only have three nights and since we're going to Oaxaca before Mexico City and will have had mucho mole there, we decided to pass on Azul although its mole is truly superb. Going instead to Maximo Bistrot and Merotoro, reservations made a few days ago. For the other night, we're leaving things open.

The other night is actually the middle night, Sunday night. The timing of our Mex City visit turned out to be challenging---arrive Saturday from Oaxaca, leave Tuesday for Key West. And Monday the most museums and sites are closed. So we loaded up sites on Sunday, going to Anacuahalli then to San Angel to see Museo del Carmen, Parroquia de San Jacinto, and Casa Studio Diego Rivera y Frida Kahlo (we've already visited Frida's house in Coyoacan a while back). Since we don't know what time we will Uber back to our B&B, the Red Tree House, after a busy day, we're hanging loose for that evening but we are aiming for Antolina Mezcaleria, a short walk south of Red Tree.

Monday, the "closed day" in the city, required some web surfing to find out what's open. I think we will go to the centro, admire the cathedral again, then go a few blocks north to the Mercado Abelardo Rodriguez. This looks to be a fascinating place, part of the social engineering of the post-revolutionary regime, originally a market, day care center, public baths, school, and public theater, designed to help rejuvenate a poor district north of the Zocalo. The market part of the structure is covered with murals, by painters overseen by Diego Rivera, including an unusual sculpted mural by none other than Isamu Noguchi (who, of course, had a brief affair with Friday, why are we not surprised?) And then a late lunch at the Casa Tlazcala nearby, in the courtyard, at the Restaurante San Francisco, which focuses on Tlaxcalan specialties.

Later, wobble back to Red Tree House in Condesa and then walk five blocks to the house used in "Roma" at Calle Tepeji 21. I found it after reading many interviews with Cuaron and doing Google street walks and finally, lo! there it was. I plan to stand at the front gate and yell "Cleo, Cleo, where are you?"

If anyone has visited any of the above places, please offer opinions and advice.
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 05:52 AM

Not a restaurant, but you MUST do a food walking tour! Our favorite experience by far. https://eatmexico.com/tour/mexico-city/
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 05:30 AM

I second the Eat Mexico nighttime taco crawl, I've done it twice. Also you are in great hands at Red Tree House, a charming place I had the great pleasure of spending Christmas Eve at several years ago. I enjoyed the cute casual Lalo in Roma Norte, where we drank champagne with fresh squeezed juices on the curb while waiting for table (good for breakfast). There is so much amazing food. I was just in Oaxaca over the holidays and I actually think I ate better in DF.
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

@cchamp and JenV - Thanks for the food tour info.

I just found this youtube video by two young Americans about the neighborhood where "Roma" was filmed.

They discuss how the director framed the shots of the house at 22 calle Tepeji. He, Alfonso Cuaron, actually grew up in the house across the street, #21. They say that the neighbors on the street are thrilled now to see how many people (including me, soon) come to see their street. The neighbors have even written a pamphlet about the locations of the movie.

Tepeji 22, slightly photoshopped by Cuaron's team
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 08:56 AM

this post is amazing, i really like this movie xD and i maybe should meet this neighborhood.
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 09:38 AM

I second this! We toured the La Merced market with them (https://hitherandthither.net/mexico-...d-market-tour/) and it was a fantastic experience. I gathered that there are lots of routes.

I also have a friend who just moved back from Mexico City and she wrote a book, This Is Mexico City. Might be worth a look—I can't recall if it's organized by neighborhood, but that's my guess.

Such an amazing place!
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

@alovesa: I bought the book two weeks ago--great book, beautiful photography, really gives an idea of the richness of this under-appreciated city.