Search

Mexican Beach Vacation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexican Beach Vacation

My wife and I (early 30s) are thinking of going to Mexico next February. We are debating between a couple of places Los Cabos (Palmilla or Los Ventenas) or maybe the Four Seasons in Punta Mita? Any thoughts? How do the beaches, the resorts and the towns compare? Also how do the food options compare? I was thinking Los Cabos, but reading the messages on this site has discouraged me greatly.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 01:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Punta Mita is 1+ hour north of Puerto Vallarta, it is in a small village, so there's not really a town to compare (unless it is by driving back into PV which is a fabulous place IMO).
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 02:36 PM

I like the PV area over Los Cabos -- to me, the scenery is much prettier, jungle over desert. Los Cabos also doesn't have much of a "Mexican" feel to it. I think the beach at Punta Mita will also be much better for swimming than the Los Cabos resorts.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:11 AM

How about Playa del Carmen, or anywhere in the Yucatan? If Cancun is too crazy for you, look further south. Or, you can spen a few days in a resort and then head inlands to see more "autentic" towns and ruins. The Yucatan beaches are fabulous and much more tranquil.
Old May 5th, 2005, 02:04 AM

Tell me more Cinart
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:47 AM

elf040 - if you are interested in the Yucatan area of Mexico - check out these websites

www.playadelcarmeninfo.com
www.locogringo.com

We have been to the area five times and are headed back this fall - lots to do and see and beautiful beaches too!
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:28 AM

The Riviera Maya does have the best beaches in Mexico!!!
The Ritz Carlton in Cancun would be comparable to the places mentioned at the top of the post, but with by far the best beach!
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:03 AM

I have been doing research in these areas if you are interested in going to the Caribbean how about Riviera Maya there is a wonderful resort called Royal Hideaway it is about an hour from Cancun but not as crowded and this resort is Adults Only We are going in March of next year. Always go to P.V. which is my favorite and I am tired of Cancun so this is just what I am looking for. If you want luxury then the Four Seasons in Punta Mita is about the best you can get in that Area although the beaches can't compare to Riviera Maya. Check out trip advisor.com
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 10:18 AM

Stayed at Punta Mita last July. (planning to be at Palmilla soon) - Four Seasons Punta Mita tried very hard (we had a few complaints) to live up to the excellent Four Seasons reputation. The staff were accommodating - food was just ok. The beach was nice - pools good - again it IS a Four Seasons so all the amenities were there. We actually went into the little village (about 3 minutes from the hotel) a few times for some excellent meals - very inexpensive - and the restaurants were literally just off the beach. I would give Puerto Vallarta a complete miss. We were so disappointed by the attitudes in PV. People with their heads and bodies hanging from shops trying to drag you in - some VERY AGGRESSIVE. More than that however, we did not get a good feel there for anything to do. You really never need to leave Four Seasons (again except for food). PV is also about 40-45 minutes away. We did go expecting to see something a little bit special like in Zihuataneo - a really lovely special area - but except for the Richard Burton/Elizabeth Taylor lovely house - we did not enjoy the Puerto Vallarta experience. We will report back on our Palmilla experience. In that regard - we hope to enjoy San Jose del Cabo. Cabo San Lucas - well - we'll see - Cancun was real ugly to us - though the beach of the Ritz Carlton was very nice.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 12:28 PM

If you didn't like PV or Cancun, then stay away from Cabo San Lucas!
One thing that made me hesitate booking the FS PM was that it's so far from Puerto Vallarta, which we loved, at least south of the River.