merida logistics from Cancun

Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
merida logistics from Cancun

We will be spending 4 nights in Merida and 4 nights around Tulum in February and had to make some itinerary changes to get the hotel we wanted in Mayan Riviera so when we arrive in Cancun at 3Pm we need to make the drive to Merida, which looks to be around 3+hours. Would you A.stay in Cancun for the night? (I believe the hotels of Cancun are 45 minutes the opposite direction) B. go ahead and make the drive to Merida?
C. Is there a cute town along the way to stop at to spend the first night?

Thanks
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 07:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
You might consider stopping for the night at Chichen Itza. Tour the ruins the next morning, then head for Merida.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:42 AM

I agree 100% with Fra - stop overnight in CI.

The Mayaland Hotel is very large and popular. The Hacienda Chichen is quieter and much nicer. Both are within very easy walking distance of one of the entrances to the site.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

That would make sense, I have been there before but my husband hasn't and I would enjoy going again. Is there any sort of town around there with fun restaurants so we can enjoy our first night in Mexico or is it pretty much all about the ruins?
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:41 AM

No town of any size at the ruins, though the Hacienda Chichen that Robertino mentioned has a choice of bars and restaurants.

The nearest big town is Valladolid (about 25 miles east of CI), of which opinions vary. I think its quaint and unspoiled, others think it dull. It has a nice hotel on the plaza, El Meson de Marques. The fascinating ruins of Ek Balam are about 10 miles north of town. They feature high relief Maya carving which is very unusual in Mexico. You could combine Ek Balam, which is a fairly small site, with CI, then continue on to Merida.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:42 AM

No town of any size at the ruins, though the Hacienda Chichen that Robertino mentioned has a choice of bars and restaurants.

The nearest big town is Valladolid (about 25 miles east of CI), of which opinions vary. I think it's quaint and unspoiled, others think it dull. It has a nice hotel on the plaza, El Meson de Marques. The fascinating ruins of Ek Balam are about 10 miles north of town. They feature high relief Maya carving which is very unusual in Mexico. You could combine Ek Balam, which is a fairly small site, with CI, then continue on to Merida.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 03:52 PM

I always recommend getting out of Cancun and heading to Valladolid. There are many wonderful hotels, such as Casa Quetzal http://www.casa-quetzal.com/ , and good restaurants serving Yucatecan - style food. It helps to break up the drive which takes at least 4 hours. You can see Chichen Itza or Ek Balam the next morning and then head to Merida. See http://www.yucatantoday.com/destinat...valladolid.htm for more info about Valladolid