Merida

Old Dec 7th, 1999, 07:07 AM
Al

Merida

We're trying to find a hotel in Merida that offers real local atmosphere, clean, preferably family-run, has a dining room that serves local-type food, that does not cater to the glitzy crowd. Our tour has us booked into a Holiday Inn which looks very posh. But we are seeking a place for a return visit that would be quite different, with lots of atmosphere, and home-like. Is there such a place?

Old Dec 7th, 1999, 09:01 AM
C.Clark

There is an inexpensive place called the Hotel Mucuy it rents for about $12.usd per night.It's family run and does not take credit cards or reservations. the phone number is:011-52-99-28-5193 It's recommended in the guide books as well.

Old Dec 28th, 1999, 07:26 PM
Allen

We stayed at the Hotel Caribe last summer. Its one block from the cathedral, about $40 a night and is a former Catholic school or convent, can't remember for sure so it has lots of character. It is clean, but ask for an upper floor room, they have air conditioning. See it at http://www.differentworld.com/mexico...s/entrance.htm

Old Dec 29th, 1999, 08:17 AM
Doug

Try yucatantravel.com. Juan Ojeda who runs Yucatan Travel lives in Merida. He has a nice selection of hotels and can give you great info on things to see and do. He will also know which places will give you the best local flavor. I used Juan to help me book a trip to Akumal and was very pleased.

Old Dec 29th, 1999, 04:50 PM
Steve

Two years ago, my wife and I stayed at
the Casa Mexillo Guest House in Merida
and thought it was great. It is a bed
and breakfast (the breakfasts were splendid and filling) four blocks from
the main plaza. There are only 8 rooms
--each with its own character. There is
a small swimming pool surrounded by
foliage that is a nice place to hang out. There is also an upstairs patio
with a nice view of Merida.

Casa Mexillo is on Calle 68 #495--more
details in Frommer's Mexico. Have a
good trip--Merida is a nice city.

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 05:30 PM
judy

Probably too late for the original post, but the Dolores Alba in Merida is very good -- family run with secure parking, if you have as vehicle. They recently expanded but are still not too big. They do have a dining room but the food is nothing too special. I would walk the few blocks towards the main plaza and eat around there. They have a website at: http://dyred.sureste.com/dolores/

They also have a hotel at Chichen Itza which is very comfortable and about half the price of the large onoes there

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 10:04 AM
Deborah

I agree with the earlier posting about the Hotel Caribe. It is very nice, is in a perfect location 1 block from the zocalo, with a beautiful lobby, flower filled courtyard restaurant and also a sidewalk cafe that's in a great spot for people watching, rooftop pool, and plain but comfortable rooms.

I also want to recommend if you are going to Chichen Itza to stay at the Hacienda Chichen Itza. You can see more about it on www.differentworld.com
I stayed at both in March and had a great time.