Mendoza wine tasting

Sep 15th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Mendoza wine tasting

Hi Guys,

We are heading to Argentina in only a few weeks and are very excited!!! I thought I would ask the experts since I cannot find what I am looking for.

We are in Mendoza for 4 days and want to have a laid back approach to visiting wineries on our own schedule. Can you suggest either tour guides/drivers or organized tours that would be good for a 4 person group? Some of the ones I have seen seem very expensive so I am hoping for more reasonable options. English speaking is preferred since our collective spanish is limited.

Thanks for your help!
travelgrl
Sep 25th, 2008, 07:30 AM

Travelgrl,
We have not gone on our trip yet. There are 4 of us and we also will be in Mendoza for 4 days. After extensive searching on the internet and having no luck, I contacted Isabel, the travel agent who comes highly recommended in many posts on this site. She gave me the name of Javier at B&B Plaza Italia in Mendoza.
Javier has arranged a private tour for us for $135US per person, in which we visit 4 wineries and have a gourmet lunch. He says that the tour should take all day, but will go at our own pace. He is bilingual and has scheduled our tastings.(It's my understanding that one cannot simply walk into the wineries unscheduled as we can in Napa.)
I was previously quoted almost double that price for the same type of tour.
Unfortunately, I can't tell you if this is a good deal or not since I haven't gone yet but someone else on the this site has suggested to me that it is a reasonable price. The other option we considered was just waiting until we got there to hire someone. I'm a "planner" so that option doesn't appeal to me. LOL!
You're going a couple of months before us, so I'd love to hear about your trip when you return.
kcsherri
Sep 25th, 2008, 10:16 AM

Hi!

We are also heading to Mendoza in October for 4 days . I contacted the Vines of Mendoza, and they sent me some tour recommendations:
Southernmost contact Laura at [email protected] / www.smjourneys.com

Aventura Wine contact Eugenia at [email protected] / www.aventurawine.com

Mendoza Holidays contact Roby at [email protected] / www.mendozaholidays.com

Trout and Wine contact Charlie at [email protected] / www.troutandwine.com

Ampora Wine Tours contact Kai at [email protected]

Argentina Wine Tours www.argentinawinetours.com

Tasting Mendoza contact Dolores www.tastingmendoza.com

Monwine Travel www.monwinetravel.com

I would suggest contacting the Vines of Mendoza for information. They are very helpful www.vinesofmendoza.com

Hope this helps.

Maybe we will be there at the same time .

Sep 27th, 2008, 01:10 PM

My husband was in Mendoza for a week lat December and really enjoyed the tour that Javier at B & B Plaza Italia set up
He also did a Bike and Wines tour

information from him about this and Mendoza in general
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...6&tid=35095053
Sep 27th, 2008, 07:57 PM

To all of you on the way to Mendoza: You are in for a treat. though I have favorites, I think most wineries and those which have restaurants are just super, and the accommodations at the wineries which I saw two years ago were just fabulous.

Examples: Club Tapiz had the best food and white wine we tasted!!

Terrazas de los Andes was also wonderful, has a lovely inn, and the lunch was super.

We also went to Ruca Malen, very interesting, and to a couple of others I can't remember at the moment.

Cavas Wine Lodge would be great, though a bit more expensive.

We stayed at the Park Hyatt, where they organized a guide and driver for us, which cost us $60 for the day for two of us. We already had our plans for where to go, through contacts with friends, and we paid for our own lunches.
so the $135 per person, if it includes tastings and lunch sounds good. as does Javier at the B & B.

I loved staying in Mendoza, but I would also stay at one of the inns at one of the bodegas out in the country next time.

The Trout and Wine tours look very good, and the MendozaHolidays.com "The Culinary Experience" also looks like it covers the best restaurants we tried: (Francis Mallman 1884, Club Tapiz and Bistro M at the Park Hyatt.)

this is a great experience for you all to look forward to. I hope to hear a trip report. brings back luscious memories.

I want to go back and drive up the mountains toward Tupangato and stay at Chateau d"Ancon.
Sep 28th, 2008, 02:31 PM

Travelgrl11:
I was at Mendoza with my wife and sons last December. I regret not having spent there more time. There are many wineries at Mendoza. The best place that I found to know about them is: http://www.tastingmendoza.com/wine.htm
Besides knowing about the different wine regions, you can book tours if it is your liking. We did it by ourselfs.
A wine expert from Mendoza told me that the best is: Salentein at Uco Valley. I have to agree with him: it is the best winery I have visited in Argentina, Chile and California. If you want to take a tour, you have to reserve. They offer tours in English only or Spanish only. You can reserve online or through e-mail at: http://www.bodegasalentein.com
Though they have a restaurant there, I recommend you plan your visit for late morning and then have lunch at Posada del Jamon, about half an hour drive and on your way back to Mendoza going through Tunuyan.
To go to Salentein you will need to rent a car or book a tour. Car renting is easy, unexpensive and they will offer you directions.
To have a taste of most wines produced at Mendoza region, go to The "Vines of Mendoza Tasting Room" at Mendoza, as described in the first site I mentioned.
Sep 29th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you! We leave on Friday so I will let you know how it works out.

We are staying at The Posada at Carlos Pulenta for 3 days and the Cavas for another 2. Hopefully, plenty of time to try many fabulous wines. =)
Sep 29th, 2008, 01:30 PM

bookmarking
Oct 3rd, 2008, 08:24 PM

We are also staying at La Posada at Carlos Pulenta in 3 weeks. Let me know how it is.

Thanks!