Meet place at Mex City Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2003, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This forum is heaven sent and I really appreciate all the great info here. In Feb my daughter and I are planning on a trip to Oxaca and will be flying in to Mexico City from Oakland and Houston, respectively,then taking an UNO bus to Oxaca. Can anyone tell me where would be a good place to tell each other to meet at the airport that would be easy to find? Also, what would be the best way to get to the UNO bus station (taxi?) and about how far away is it from the airport? Thanks for any help.
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 09:18 AM

Hi, I guess you must know by now that the only taxis to be taken from the airport are those authorized taxis. A ticket has to be bought before taken the taxi at a booth.
We recently come from Mexico and found out to our dismay that there were two different taxi companies kind of sharing the same booth.
One quoted $205 to go to the zocalo the other one, the good one, $130.Both had printed fares and both provided tickets. So be alert.
The one that charged 130 had taxis with the drawing of a little plane. The name of the good one is SITIO 300,Transportacion Terrestre.
( And even this is expensive because coming back we took a radio taxi to the airport for $100) for the same distance.
The Tapo, Terminal de Autobuses de Pasajeros de Oriente is located between the Airport and the city. My guess is that the fare between both should be around 50-70 pesos.
We also took the UNO to Oaxaca the hotel overcharged us charging 90 pesosfor a taxi to Tapo. When coming back we took an authorized taxi from Tapo to the Hotel Four Seasons which is twice or more the distance of the Zocalo and paid less. ( We stayed in two different hotels in Mexico City)
I also learnt that because Mexico city is overcrowded some times the same ride if you go by the meter in the case of radio taxis can vary a lot.
No tips are expected. Radio taxis that you call, most of the time charge a little more than the fare in the meter, if it reads 87 they will tell you 90.
We used servitaxi 55166020, they are dark red with a white band. They ask for precise directions of your location and how you are dressed also for your first name and in turn they give you the number of the taxi that will pick you up, they call the taxi :UNIDAD numero 41 for instance and you can double check the number which is painted on small numbers in the side of the car.
I do not know that well the airport to pick up a good meeting locating. But it is huge so be sure you are both arriving to the international zone, etc.

Old Nov 7th, 2003, 09:38 AM

I had to wait for a friend to fly in once to Mexico City....There are tons of people outside the doors that open. What we did was go into the restaurant right next to the opening, called "Freedom"...it was like a Ruby Tuesday, TGI Fridays type place. Their seating overlooks the arrival area and is higher up, even stadium seating-ish so everyone can see. We just sat and enjoyed a soda and cheap snack and I had told my friend to look to the right when she comes out, and we connected right away. You can see behind the doors a little too so that helped to see her coming.
Hope that helps...I can't remember the name of any other little booths, etc. unless you pick a specific ticket counter and meet there...But right at arrivals it is super crowded !
have a great time !
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 06:24 PM

Hi Laredol, I found some inf. that might help you,

1) sitio 300, Taxis del Aeropuerto has the following site ,
www.taxisdelaeropuerto.com.mx
email [email protected].m2) There is a mini bus service connecting the aeropuerto with TAPO for the users of UNo, and ADO-GL buses, this is route No.4,
www.adogl.com.mx
www.uno.com.mx, I would go for the taxi easier and you leave the moment you want to.
Buena suerte.
Old Nov 8th, 2003, 06:31 AM

On the first level the "Baron Rojo" the Red Baron restaurant is visible and a good place to have something to drink or eat and sit and wait for someone. As far as the Taxi go to the booth and use the ones that say "transportacion Terrestre." I hope the person above was talking pesos when they are talking about taxis. Anyway the above is the one you want. Uno runs out of the Tapo station. Will you make reservations in advance? It is conceivable that the UNO buses could be full. They don't hold that many people. Unless, some specific event is going on, however, you will be able to find a first class bus to Oaxaca. Have fun.
Old Nov 8th, 2003, 06:56 AM

Hi Dude, I tried to convey the latest
situation, I found a booth that said Trasportacion Terrestre, but it was shared NOW, by two different companies. Side by side, separated only by a screen. Both were transportaciones terrestres, both had printed fares, and both provided a voucher in order to take the cab.
The one called SITIO 300 . the good one, was charging $130 pesos to the Zocalo the other one was charging $205 for the same ride.

( I know it is difficult for our way of thinking that the new guy in the block expects to do business charging double.....this is the way they think)
Old Nov 8th, 2003, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for their help and Dude, I really appreciate all of your postings and information here regarding Oaxaca. BTW, is the Baron Rojo in the International Terminal's first level or in another terminal or does the MEX facility have only one massive terminal? And Graziella, I sure am glad you clarified the figures quoted were in pesos otherwise I would have to rethink this birthday present to my kid!
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 05:16 AM

The resturant is in the national terminal, but in Mexico City it is one long terminal with two levels. After you go through immigration you go down the stairs, through customs, out into the teriminal then turn left for maybe 100 yards to the restaurant. As far as the booth for Taxis the one I have used in the past is at the far end from where you will be in the national terminal. It was still there when I went out that door to get on the metro last June.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 06:20 AM

You can make a reservation, and check schedules, for the UNO bus at www.ticketbus.com.mx. A very good site.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 11:08 AM

Better still you can buy your UNO tickets ( and seats) by phone from the US, calling
52 5 133 24 24. There is a fee of aprox. 3 dollars by ticket, it worked like a breeze. Very good service .-