Mayan Palace - PDC Transportation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using our timeshare I booked a week at the Mayan Palace just N of Playa Del Carmen. We booked the Mayan because it isn't an 'all-inclusive' and we LOVE eating off property when we travel. My question to the forum is, is there alternate transportation to/from the Mayan to PDC other than Taxis? Is their a local bus we can ride (family of 4) or should we risk it and rent a car? I'd like to do some other off-site activities (Akumal, Tulum, snorkeling, etc) that will also require transportation. Any other advice on restaurants or 'must do's' will be very much appreciated.

thank you in advance
FayeW
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 05:12 PM

There is a colectivo system that rides up and down the highway. Should be about $3 OR 4 dollars each. You can do the same, just stay on, for Akumal and Tulum. To catch the colectivo you will need to take the MP's shuttle out to the highway. Cross over and wait next to the southbound lane. You will see white vans flashing their lights at you. Put up your hand and they will stop. Get in and you pay as you leave. If you want to go anywhere south of PDC you will need to exit the van in PDC and re-enter another southbound van. Then get off in Akumal, walk over the pedestrian bridge and about 5 minutes east on the road. The beach will be just off to your right as you pass under the archway. Take the same van to Tulum and either exit at the ruins or in the puebla. You can walk to the ruins from the highway or walk halfway in to the shops and take the shuttle/train the rest of the way. If you want to go to the beaches in Tulum either exit at the ruins and go to the ruins, turn right on the beach road walk about 15 minutes and on your left you'll see some entries to the beach. If you go into the puebla you can catch a taxi out to the beach. Kind of a far walk that way.
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 05:46 PM

Quite honestly, the collectivos are fine if you are backpacker types and don't mind many stops and lots of walking from the highway to the beaches. (It's generally about a half mile.)

This is a VERY easy area in which to drive. We've been many times and I don't see it as a "risk" you'd be taking. Now, that's us. We've been driving in this area since our honeymoon nearly 20 years ago. But it's still easy driving. One highway that runs north to south, with clearly marked crossroads (not even really exits!) for the major towns you are hoping to visit.

One thing - DO NOT SPEED.
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 04:46 AM

My husband and I visited the area twice in 2010. In June we traveled our usual way - great value B and B's, nice budget places, splashing out here and there for excellent guided fishing and a snorkeling with whalesharks trip. We spent about a week in Tulum, a few nights each in Valladolid and San Felipe (on the Gulf coast), and 4 or 5 nights on Isla Mujeres. We only rented a car for the week in Tulum to access ruins and flyfishing.

In December our daughter and her husband booked a suite at Mayan Palace and we flew down together for the week after Christmas, flying home on January 2nd. We've never stayed at a big resort before and though I feel comfortable in Latin America, the resort was a bit of a culture shock; we're unlikely to do it again, though our room and the company was lovely and we enjoyed the trip immensely.

A big part of the enjoyment, though, was having a rental car so we could get off resort to ruins, restaurants where locals eat, great areas for snorkeling, and a spider monkey sanctuary. We also took the Mayan Palace shuttle to Playa del Carmen twice - once for shopping at the grocery store and produce market and once for casual souvenir shopping and chocolate. Shuttles leave fairly regularly from the shuttle stop at the resort and return from a small parking lot a few blocks from the main drag in Playa; I can't remember the cost but it seemed reasonable. We rented the car from the airport and back but you could rent specific days from the resort; not sure it would be cheaper, though. You can check out my photos, blogs, and trip reports at the link below. Happy trails!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 05:12 AM

Rent a car for the ease of getting around. Book now as the rates will go up closer to your dates.

We have rented a car every time we've been to Mexico. The first time we had a 2 day rental and used the car just to get to Chichen Itza but after that we have always rented a car for the duration of the trip and saved time and money.
No taxis to the airport or waiting around for buses in the heat.

Pull over to let faster vehicles pass and do not speed and you will be fine.
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the knowledgeable replies. It seems we can't go wrong with either renting a car or riding on the collectivos - just a matter of preference. There is something to be said for the experiences enjoyed while riding the collectivos but the flip side is 4 people, two of which are teenagers, and getting to where we are going w/ little to no hassle.

Some things to consider!