March 2008 CR need your help!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2008, 07:01 AM
steviesmom

Shillmac and MRand,

I appreciate your past comments. Do we need to bring DEET oil? A guy at REI said that you just put that on a couple of spots on your body and you will be fine.....also it is true that you should pay most items in cash as there is some kind of extra tax put on for credit cards? Please advise. Do we also need any vaccinations? Thanks. Please advise!

Old Feb 6th, 2008, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We used regular mosquito repellent - Cutter I believe - that we bought at REI; it came in a little spray bottle and was perfect. We didn't see a lot of mosquitoes when we were there, but we used it every day just to be safe. No vaccinations are required, but some people take malaria meds just for peace of mind; we have never taken them and have not had any problems. Some credit card companies do add a surcharge - they call it a financial conversion fee - onto international purchases; I'd check with your card and see what their policy is, sometimes it's 3-5%.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 10:25 AM
steviesmom

Volcanogirl,

You seem to be an expert on costa rica. I have seen many of your responses. I am going to REI in the next couple of weeks and will look at Cutter. I will definitely check with our credit card company on the conversion fees. Do you think there are many mosquitoes in the Central Pacific area and in Manuel Antonio or the various rainforests? Please advise and thanks.

Old Feb 6th, 2008, 10:46 AM

You can get bug spray just about anywhere, my last trip I just grabbed some (with DEET) at the drugstore. As vg mentioned you can expect a surcharge on using your credit card - some restaurants, tour companies, hotels etc will tack on an extra 5% - 7% if you don't use cash. Notify your cc company that you will be using your card out of the country or else they may put a fraud freeze on it. Never got any vacs myself.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 03:21 PM

stevie, I think it varies depending on the season, the rainfall, the day, the wind, etc. People will post about a spot being buggy, and then we won't have the same experience. We were careful to wear our repellent each day, and just got a couple of bites each on the ankle - no big swarms anywhere when we went.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 04:02 PM

steviesmom - I wouldn't worry about bringing a LOT of repellent to MA, never had many issues there...just bring a small bottle.

As far as CC's most places will take them, sure there may be a charge, but then again it's more convenient than carrying tons of cash. I never had an issues using the ATM's in MA either though, so there's another thought.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 04:06 PM

steviesmom,
Our choice is to use our credit card for convenience rather than carrying around a lot of cash. We rarely have more than $300 between the two of us.
Usually we use something like Ultrathon with 25%-30% Deet. It has always worked just fine. I don't have much trouble, but others in our family do. We are VERY careful about the twilight time no-see-ums. There is nothing more miserable than those little suckers--for a LONG time!
The dry season usually means significantly less problems with insects. On the Osa last March, we didn't use anything and weren't bothered at all. Nothing.
Have a great trip!
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 07:05 PM
steviesmom

Thanks shillmac, tully, volcanogirl, and airwayz!

I think we are ready to go! I will do a trip report when we return!

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 10:19 AM

The credit card companies can really get you. Not only do some of the cc companies back home charge 3-5% to convert the money but some of the places in Costa Rica will tack on to the bill the 6% that they are charged by their company down there. It is a good idea to check this before paying by cc.

We just use plain old OFF. We bought several that even have carabiner clips so you can just hook it onto a belt loop. It is just the DEET that is important imo. We rarely see mosquitos in the southern part where we spend a good bit of time but there are no see ums down there that can really bite. So between the no see ums in the south and the mosquitos elsewhere, we keep the DEET handy. Many times we never have to use it but when you do, you will know.

Other than hep I have not had any vaccinations. I got the hep because I do travel to other Central American countries that are less developed than Costa Rica.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 03:49 PM

steviesmom - we used DEET and it worked fine, although we used a mist instead of oil. We also used credit cards and didn't carry a lot of cash. We got about $250 in cash in CR currency before the trip that came in handy the first few days, but had a little difficulty finding an ATM in La Fortuna that accepted our card. The third ATM was a charm.

Only my son, who went for a month and backpacked in Corcovado and elsewhere got a vaccination, and that was for typhoid. We didn't take malaria pills, but were only in the northern zone for the day for the Cano Negro tour, where the insect repellant seemed to suffice.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 04:46 PM
steviesmom

Susie2 and MRand,

Thanks for the good advice. I will definitely keep an eye out for overcharges on the credit card and will be equipped with "some type of mosquito repellent product".

Old Feb 10th, 2008, 05:02 PM

Steviesmom,
I haven't been to Costa Rica yet (going in July) so I can't comment on the bug situation specifically in Costa Rica. However,when I travel to Africa I spray my clothes with permethrin before I go. I buy the Saywer spray at REI.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 03:46 AM
steviesmom

Thanks, Dana, I will look into it.

Old Feb 16th, 2008, 06:54 PM

steviesmom- we will also be at the Marriott for springbreak.

WE have not decieded about renting a car yet. I wondered if there were shuttles/tours from the Hotel to various sites -

Can anyone tell me?

Are you or kids get immunized for anything?

I am going to do some reading from my Frommers book tonight.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 05:16 AM
steviesmom

Hi, there,

I haven't been on the site for a week or so..but want to let you know, annesherod, just call the Marriott and they will gladly pick you up from the airport. You need to make your reservations with the concierge by phone (directly with the hotel). The staff speaks english. The cost is only 110 each way per carload. I booked a month ago, so the old price was 100 dollars. My friends have taken the shuttle from the airport. They said the ride was great because it takes you through different terrain. We are flying directly from LAX and arrive about 5:30 am. The Driver will have your name on a sign, my husband is happy about that because he gets alittle skittish about countries he hasn't visited. When you arrive at the hotel, most people will be flying in on Saturday; if they have a room available they will then be able to check in..if not the concierge will hold on to everything and you can book tours, eat, relax by the pool until the room is ready. I probably would not rent a car as the marriott will shuttle you around. In talking to various families who have recently gone; we will not be getting vaccinations but please remember to take your deet or something like it. As for excursions; I call the concierge at the Marriott and they will make all the arrangements. It's fantastic! Some of the tours they offer are:

Canopy/zipline tour
Manuel Antonio
Isla Tortuguera
Mangrove tour

These are some just to name a few. I would call them one time and get the info.

Last item..on the shuttle reservation, rather than fax back the information form with credit card...I scanned the form and emailed it back to Flory Villalobos, the concierge manager.

Hope this helps.

Can't wait to go!

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 05:21 AM
steviesmom

annesherod, also forgot to mention, other than the main items, hotel, tours, its better if possible to pay cash......sometimes the prices are lower(discount) and no surcharge on the credit card.

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 10:21 AM

steviesmom - GREAT information. I really appreciate it -

I will call there today!
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 08:41 AM
steviesmom

anneherod,

Glad to hear the information was good. Now we have to start thinking about what to pack!

Old Feb 28th, 2008, 06:03 AM

If you have any pearls of wisdom on that subject let me know too!

This is the first trip in a long time where I have kind of winged it withiout tons of research. I had unexpected surgery weveral weeks back so I did not do as much as I would have liked -....but,... We are going and I am thrilled! I will probably utilize the concierge for a lot of side trips etc....
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 03:51 PM
steviesmom

hi, Annesherod,

I travel quite a bit for work...and in talking to several people did not want to overpack so for seven days I will be taking the following:

a summer dress or skirt with top

3 pairs of shorts with 1 tshirt per day

1 hooded sweatshirt

1 light windbreaker

Bathsuit

1 pair of sneakers or hiking type shoes

1 pair of sandals

1 pair of long pants that zip into shorts (REI) for the rainforest/Manuel antonio hike

Deet or similiar product

camera,etc.etc. etc.

I think that's about it.........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -