Search

Machu Picchu

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Machu Picchu

We would like to spend one night at the ruins. We would like to go there by train.
Can anyone recommend a travel company that will make arrangements for a hotel in Cuzco.
Better yet, because we will have been on a expedition for two weeks and would prefer to have everything pre-arranged:
Book a flight from Iquitos (must be in the afternoon) to Cuzco, arrange for MP and return to Lima for our flight back to the US.
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 05:22 PM

I can address your last paragraph: I don't think you'll find that without overnighting in Lima. Iquitos to Cusco means connecting in Lima, and nearly all the Lima-Cusco flights fly in the morning, or very early afternoon because of weather and wind patterns later in the day.
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Jed

Please tell why you want a 'travel company' to make a hotel reservation.

You could pick one that suits you from Fodors http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...ur_section=lod or some other source, and make the reservartion online, which is not hard to do.

Are you on an 'expedition' with a tour company or by yourselves? If the former, perhaps they could do it.

We went from Iquitos to Cusco, had to stay in Lima for the night, got up at 3 AM to catch 5 AM flight.
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 02:13 PM

I think Orient Express still owns the hotel at the ruins. Also they own the Monesterio in Cuzco. If you contact them they should be of help. Orient Express also has train service from Cuzco to Machu Picchu. I have done all of the above. Also, Abercrombie and Kent use to offer a similar (or same) trip. Orient Express properties are not inexpensive but I loved this trip.
Happy travels!
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 02:38 PM

My cousin just returned from the Abercrombie and Kent arranged tour of MP and the Amazon. They stayed in the Orient Express hotels in Cusco and at the ruins and had nothing but raves.

My trip was considerably lower budget arrranged by Lost World Adventures. I stayed in a run of the mill hotel in Cusco, the Pueblo in Aguas Calientes (which I loved) and the Antigua Miraflores in Lima, which was also fine.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Response to Jed--why a travel company?
We will have been two weeks on a boat on the Amazon and have no desire to make individual arrangements. We want a reputable company to take care of transfers, flights, hotels, trains, buses, etc. In other words, coordinate the entire trip.
Although we could pick something out of a pot, I would prefer recommendations.
Since my original post we have decided that the Sanctuary is not in our budget scheme. Consequently, we won't bother with Aguas Calientes either.
Jeff is right on. We will have to spend one night in Lima and two in Cuzco because of flight schedules that are unavoidable because of a late arrival in Iquitos.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 08:19 AM

You don't need a travel company! It would be very easy to organise yourselves.

I wouldn't rule out Aguas Calientes either - the Pueblo Hotel is fantastic and will allow you to go and visit MP again the following day and you will also have time for the hot springs.

To book your flights from Iquitos to Cusco, check out the Lan Peru website - you should be able to book online - same goes for your flight from Cusco to Lima.