Search

Lunch Buenos Aires on Sat?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lunch Buenos Aires on Sat?

I couldn't get enough words in to do a search! I guess the Search Engine takes only 2 words, does anyone know?

Anyway - a lunch (and not too long) for Saturday is the only thing left we need to plan for. Friday night we will go to a Tango/Dinner show and probably have steak there. But we really want to try things that Buenos Aires is famous for, so we might have to do the ultimate sacrifice and have steak again! (And the grilled provolone...)

Where would you suggest? What was your favorite?

And wine. We need to buy 6 bottles of wine - we know where to go; we don't know what to buy. We enjoy red the most - and usually am happy with a <12.00 bottle. (We're in heaven with a St. Francis Cabernet, but that's for special occasions) Any suggestions here?

Only a week to go!

Thanks.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 01:54 PM

Malbec , Brahmama, malbec. That is what they are famous for, it is red and goes well with everything and you can get bottles of really decent Malbec for $7-10 dollars..We brought back 4 bottles of Finca Las Moras
Reserva 2004 Malbec.
We bought this and some other malbec as gifts and part for us..*had to buy a suitcase just for wine lol *

I loved La Brunilde in Palermo Viejo on the corner of Honduras and now my mind is blank about the cross street, but it is right in the middle of that area.
We sat outdoors and enjoyed pollo chorizo with salad caprese and wine and just enjoyed people watching..
Or go to Cluny which is just a few blocks away and absolutely wonderful..
Hope this helps
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Scarlett. I knew it was Malbec - but needed a name and now I have it! I think it's Tannat in Uruguay. And I've heard that it's better blended. We're going to a winery in Santiago, but I may just be tasting there.

Have you made plans to return yet? I enjoyed all your posts so much, before your trip and after you got back. I just wish I had a week there. We're going to get on a ship and cruise around the Cape. But NEXT time, we'll do some of the things that we will miss this time.

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 04:12 PM

Depending on how organised I am here and how fast we can get certain things done...we will be back in Buenos Aires, hopefully in April. No doubt in my mind that you will have a great time
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 04:18 PM

Other options for wine: Luigi Bosca Malbec Reserva or, even better, DOC.

Ruca Malen Malbec is another very good option.

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 04:55 PM

No contest for comida en Sabado o Domingo: Il Matterello: Martin Rodriguez #517 in La Boca.
Not at night.
M
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 10:58 AM

If the weather is nice how about any of the many restaurants in Puerto Madero. You can walk by the water, and may be have ice cream as dessert fron Fredos ( one of the best places for ice cream in Buenos Aires).Many locals will be around on Saturday.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 11:15 AM

Try Volta, too, for ice cream! And, don't forget your trip report. Buen viaje.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 01:46 PM

Scarlett,

When in april do you think you might be there.

I will be there for 5 days ( then onto Brazil) with 8 of us from April 20-25th. If you are alone and would like to join us one night, let me know.

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 02:28 PM

I have no idea when we will be there
It might set off huge anxiety attacks if I did know, since I am so not ready lol.
First we thought March, now my husband says he cannot see us getting there before April ... sigh.
I can be in touch (here) before the time comes and let you know, I travel with a husband and sometimes a dog lol but don't let that stop you
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks DrDawggy for the additional wine recomendation. And Mikemo for the Italian suggestion (one of our favs).
cmcfong - I will do a TR - but it will be middle of Feb before that appears. And it will be short!

Our guide, Ricardo, phoned us last night from Argentina to verbally confirm all our arrangements. Now that really got me excited!

Now for the worst part - packing. It will be in the 20's here when we leave - in the 80's when we arrive in Buenos Aires and in the 40's in Ushuaia - then back in the 80's in Santiago. I guess it's just pack things that can be layered and expect rain.

I can't think of a single question. I must be slipping.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 05:32 AM

B,
While in Santiago, we would highly recommend Rest Donde Augusto in El Mercado: the super fresh Robalo (Chilean Sea Bass) was the very best ever (and a bottle of CL Riesling was about $4.US).
Galindo in Bella Vista; De la Ostia and Le Flaubert in Providencia were nice surprises also.
Buen provecho.
M
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 05:40 AM

The Duty Free at SCL had the very best prices on some very nice high end CL wines: Mont Gras Reservas and Special Selections ($8.-$9.US); some single vineyard IT varietals from Errazuriz "Maximiano"; pinot noir, etc.
M
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Mike,
How does that work at Duty-Free? I'd like to buy about 6 bottles at least. With the new security laws, do you carry that on or is it checked through?
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 06:40 AM

I'm pretty sure you have to check it, but we'll see what Mike says.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Oh, I just remembered a question while reading MCNYC's trip report (Tangled Tangos etc)

About steak:
We like ours medium rare but I read that there is not a word for this. Of course media would be medium, but how to get it med rare?

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 07:51 AM

Actually - for steak "a punto" is medium. Jugoso is rare. So you might try "entre jugoso y a punto" or casi jugoso... However many people who order steak rare in Argentina say that it is often overcooked to their taste. So if this is actually the case, you may end up ok if you order it jugoso. (I order mine a punto and have had varied results.)

As for the duty free wine. You buy it past security. You can take it on the plane for that flight. However, once in the US or Canada if you have to change planes to go onward to get home, you will have to check it.

Raquel
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 08:14 AM

Some airlines will not permit you to carry wine onboard, even if purchased in duty free. Check with the individual airline. I checked the wine I brought back and the wine store wrapped it for me.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 08:23 AM

I order my steak "jugoso", and it comes out medium rare almost every time. I used to order it a punto but it seemed to be closer to well done.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 09:48 AM

Raquel is correct, but we flew SCL-MEX (business Aeromexico) so we could have brought a palate and the aduana/aduaneros would still have laughed when we said solamente vino tinto in both checked and carry on.
They pack it very well so I would not hesitate to check it with some clothes around same.
M
We did not want to deal with lugging wine from AR into Chile, but the sub $10.US AR Malbecs in BsAs and Iguazu restaurants were PDG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -