Search

Lost in Lima, Peru

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 1997, 04:28 PM
Gargee Ghosh

Lost in Lima, Peru

My friend and I are arriving in Lima in the middle of the night (12:30ish) and need some info! Are there any hotels/hostels that will send a bus to pick us up at that time? Alternatively, is there a general "Airport Bus" that will run from the airport to various hotels areound the city? What is the airport like at that time of night - fairly busy, or all shut down?

Any information/advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Old Jun 4th, 1997, 07:59 AM
halvorsen

The taxi is cheap about $10. have them take you to a hotel in your price range otherwise you will pay through the nose for a 5 star hotel

see http.//www.au/4WD/page/7.1/html look up last part on peru

Old Jul 25th, 1997, 05:34 PM
Ed Moylan

Arriving at Lima airport at night is frightening. I suggest you contact Victor at Hostal Residencial VICTOR Tel: 13 567 5107 Fx%3D567 5083. I stayed in his new 6 room hotel for $30US single 40US double. About 10 ins from the airport. Very nice with private bath and NEW rooms. He will pick you up at any time of the nite, and return you for next flight. Very reliable and SAFE. Speaks perfect English. Used to work for AMEX. Address is Manuel Mattos 370 Urb. San Amadeo, Lima . e mail me if you need more info. Good Luck!

Old Jul 29th, 1997, 09:13 PM
Antonio Marmolejo

I will appreciate more info about Lima and Perú. Do you know any good hotel in the center of the city of Lima. I will appreciate info about Cuzco.
Thanks very much
Antonio

Old Aug 1st, 1997, 10:22 PM
Ronald

Arriving at night can be a bit unsettling as you leave the airport terminal and exit into the street as there are usually crowds of people waiting for arrivals, as well as ad-hoc porters and taxi drivers offering their services. If you don't speak Spanish it might be a bit frightening. First, don't lose sight of your luggage, ever. If you put it down and turn away it might not be there when you look again. It would be advisable to have arranged to have someone pick you up when you leave the terminal. If not, arrange the fare to your destination before you get into the taxi, choose a taxi that is in a good state of repair and preferably use a commercial cab company's services rather than anyone's. For your information, anyone can be a cab driver in Lima - all that is needed is to post a sign in the window. All fares are negotiated beforehand (there are no taximeters) and there is no tipping. The main danger is you might be picked up by a thief who will take you to to his confederates who will rob you. This is more common at late night hence the need for careful selection of the taxi and driver. Tip any porter/baggage handler US$1 per bag to take the bag to the vehicle. Don't be nervous, just be deliberate in your choice of taxis and, preferably, arrange to be picked up upon arrival and avoid the problems entirely. Buena suerte!

Old Aug 9th, 1997, 08:36 PM
Ronald

Spoke to a Peruvian who informed me they thought the airport itself had taxis which could be identified because they were allowed to park at the airport's exit for arriving passengers - I suppose they would be marked accordingly. These are supposed to be the safest type of taxis to take late at night as the airport practically assures their reliability. They might even have meters but this is uncertain. Good luck.