Reload this Page >

Allegro Cozumel--What's It Like?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 1999, 06:10 PM
becky

We are considering going to the Allegro resort in Cozumel next March 2000 (it was formerly called the Diamond Cozumel). Friends went last year & loved it. Good snorkelling apparently (& scuba diving). Plse comment on the rooms, beach & the food if you've been there. Thanks

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 04:56 AM
Lena

My husband and I stayed there when it was called the "Diamond Resort" 3 years ago. It was very nice resort. We enjoyed it so much that this coming October we are going to stay at another one of their resort in Puerto Vallarta, the "Allegro Resort Nuevo Vallarta". It has great snorkeling and activities. You will definitely enjoy yourself. Have fun!

Old Jun 24th, 1999, 12:23 PM
Brenda

I was there last July with my husband and teenaged son. We had a great time. The beach is truly beautiful. Ask for an upstairs room so that you can get the "Thatched" ceiling. Every room had a hammock on the balcony which my husband really enjoyed the whole time we were there. We liked the food especially the Mexican food restaurant. Make reservations early! The snack bar had everything you could possibly want. Hamburgers, hot dogs, french fries, pizza, etc. Go and enjoy!!!

Old Jun 25th, 1999, 07:16 AM
paula

<BR>We stayed at the Allegro in March. <BR>It was wonderful. We have been to many different resorts and this one was one of the best. The grounds are beautiful, lots of palm trees! <BR>Make sure you do the excursion to Xcaret. That place is absolutely beautiful. It's a tropical paradise. <BR>Have lots of fun. Enjoy!

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 07:20 PM
TC

Becky, Diamonds is an all-inclusive resort quite far from town. Although the beach is gorgeous, there is no shore snorkeling from there. The dive shop runs a nice snorkel tour to three reefs everyday. It cost about $60 per person. We have friends who used to stay only at Diamonds, but they got very tired of the buffet food and now stay at a condo near town to enjoy the many great restaurants. Again, the grounds are lovely, but the atmosphere is very Club Med - lots of organized activities on the beach and rather sparse accommodations. If snorkeling is your thing, there are several other hotels in Cozumel that offer great snorkeling right from shore. It all depends on what you want. I have a list of things to see and do, places to eat, stuff to know about Cozumel that I've put together for friends and family. Let me know if you'd like a copy.

Old Jul 25th, 1999, 05:34 PM
Barbara

Becky, <BR>Allegro resort is a definite go. We were there in March/99 and plan to go back again, this time with the kids. My sister and her husband came with my husband and I and we had a great time. The beach is finely crushed seashells and one of the best on the island. The food, which is buffet, is excellent... you can have prime rib for lunch if you want to. The desserts were out of this world (I am sure that they hired a French pastry chef as they were not only delicious but beautiful). You could have Mexican coffee with your supper and although you might have to get it line for one they were a great finale to the dinners. They also have an Italian restaurant and a Mexican restaurant which you need to make reservations for (do that when you get there), the Italian one being as good as any Italian restaurant I have ever been to. The rooms, although not terrible fancy, were clean and the beds were very comfortable. The toilet and tub were in one room and the sink and dressing closet in the other. The t.v. was in a nice cabinet. Outside the room (we were on the ground floor) on the balcony there were two chairs and a small table as well as a hammock. The only problem we had at the beach were these small jelly fish, which apparently blew in during our first day there (it was incredibly windy and quite cool). I might also add that that storm that blew in the jelly fish ended up in the Dominican Republic where it rained for 4 days straight while we had beautiful weather after the first day and a half.(I had some friends that went there for March break and had a horrible time because of the weather). There were lots of fish that came in right up to the shore so if you had a snorkel and a mask you could just stick your head in the water and see them without even swimming out at all. We did a number of excursions, including the "Indiana Jones" trip, a trip to Chichen Itza and my sister did the snorkelling trip. My husband and I did a scuba trip which was great. Any other questions? Feel free to e-mail me. I plan to go back there in March 2000 as well...maybe I'll see you there! <BR>Barbara

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 08:54 AM
debbie

Becky: we stayed at this 'Diamond' just after it opened and loved it and the island then - from the posts above, it sounds like they've refined even more and it's an even better place than when we were there. <BR>It's not far to town at all - it's about a $10. U.S. cab ride away (so split between 4 is nothing) and other than popping into town for shopping or the odd meal (if you get tired of buffet), you'll be much too busy seeing the rest of the island to be bothered with going into town for meals. The rooms are clean and large and filled with bottled water - the rooms aren't 'sparse' at all but much the same as your typical all-inclusive - for the amount of time you actually spend in the room, you'll find all the necessities you require are there! <BR>Be sure to drop into Chanakanab Park, Playa Corona for the best snorkeling bar none (about $7. cab ride from the Allegro and there is refreshments available for purchase), the ruins at San Gervasio (if you're into that sort of thing), and if you rent a jeep, drive down to the lighthouse at the south end of the island and climb the lighthouse for some spectacular views of the island!! <BR>

Old Nov 6th, 1999, 01:47 PM
brownii

TC <BR>I would love all the information you have on Cozumel. We are going to be there in January 2000. <BR>Thanks!