Looking to learn tango

Dec 23rd, 2007, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Looking to learn tango

Hello folks!
i'm leaving soon (tomorrow!!) and wondered if anyone could recommend a place to learn the basics of tango. i won't have to time to attend a week-long school. however, i can pick it up quickly (i'm a former dancer) and would rather see tango in places the locals might go instead of going to a stage show (i think). i'm staying near plaza san martin. (dr dawggy, thanks for your help, we're staying at melia BA park.)

Dec 23rd, 2007, 11:16 AM

http://www.confiteriaideal.com/milongas.htm

Confiteria Ideal is a great place to watch and you can take classes.
If you go around 5 in the afternoon, you can watch the "old-timers" , dancing the way they used to do the Tango...no high kicks and throwing partners in the air

Also El Beso is a milonga to go watch locals and once you have enough confidence, let a gentleman ask you to dance

El Beso is on Riobamba..

Nino Bien is another, our friends go there a lot. It does not really get started til around 1:30 am.. not sure of that address ..
Dec 23rd, 2007, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

excellent and specific suggestions scarlett, thank you...

guess i'd better go pack!
May 10th, 2008, 07:46 AM

I've been looking at several web sites for tango lessons in BA, and I've narrowed it down to Confiteria Ideal and Tanguera.

For anyone who has used Confiteria, did you have to make reservations in advance, or were you able to just show up at class time without reservations?I've looked at the web site, but they don't have an FAQ page with relevant information. The classes look great though! I just don't know yet what days I'm going to want to go, so I'd like to just show up if I can. Just curious about anyone else's experiences. Thanks!
May 10th, 2008, 11:49 AM

At Confiteria Ideal , the lesson is usually before the regular dancers arrive..so early, like late afternoon is good..
At Salon Canning, we got there late and there was a lesson going on ..so that would be after 9 or 10 pm...

You can do set these up once you are here..
May 10th, 2008, 01:11 PM

Cool - thanks, Scarlett! I've written Confiteria Ideal an email, but so far I haven't received any response. If I could just show up late afternoon, that would be great. I'll just wait and see what happens once I get to BA. Let's hope for the best! Cheers - M