Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

looking for travel tips, 9 days, monteverde, arenal, tortuguero?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (2 adults, 2 kids) are flying into Liberia airport planning 10 days for Monteverde, Arenal and possibly Tortuguero. We plan to rent a 4X4 for Monteverda and Arenal, Drive to San Jose airport and fly to Tortuguero. Wondering which we should drive to first - Arenal or Monteverde? Currently thinking we drive to MV first, then Arenal, then SJO. Also, wondering if there is another destination and skip tortuguero. Thinking of staying at Monteverde Lodge and Arenal Observatory Lodge so far. Any suggestions on the driving itinerary, places to stay, and places to visit very welcome. Also, what are recommended car rental agencies. Thanks.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 05:46 AM

Hi - I would continue driving from Arenal to Sarapiqui area and then on to Tortuguero rather than driving back to San Jose and flying to Toruguero. We just returned from a trip to Sarapiqui and my kids loved it. We did many activities and stayed at Selva Verde. A number of people use Sarapiqui area as a mid point between Arenal and Tortuguero. We saw many animals on our hikes at Selva Verde and La Selva. We also did the chocolate tour, rafting and zip lining in the area.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 03:56 PM

luv4paris, one can't drive on from Sarapiqui region to Tortuguero if that is what you mean above.

It does seem like a great idea, however, to take in the Sarapiqui area INSTEAD of Tortuguero. Nice area. Selva Verde, La Quinta de Sarapiqui, either, would be a good choice for a hotel. La Selva Biological Station, operated by the Organization for Tropical Studies (OTS) is always a great area to visit.

As much as I enjoy Tortuguero, it seems so much better to visit there when the turtles are nesting/hatching July-October. That's a real highlight. Not sure when you are planning to travel.

Monteverde is good for 3 nights, Arenal 3 or even 4. Lots to do both areas. Are you sure you want to skip a beach area? You could always stay near Liberia for a few nights and enjoy
one of the nearby Pacific beach areas, Hermosa or Ocotal perhaps.

It would be great if you were flying into Liberia and out of San Jose. Getting back to Liberia will take some time from Arenal (3-4 hours), much longer from Sarapiqui region. I assume Liberia is your departure city also?

We really like Tricolor for car rentals. They've got the best prices coupled with reliable service that we have found.

Not familiar with Monteverde Lodge. Arco Iris has gotten excellent reviews lately. Also, AOL at Arenal is always a good choice. Enjoy the planning, enjoy the trip!
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the helpful info. We will be traveling in early July. Also thinking of Osa Peninsula if it's too early for turtles in Tortuguero.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 06:03 AM

Hi - The people we met at Selva Verde, Sarapiqui that had come from Tortuguero had left their car at a marina and then of course boated in to Tortuquero. They stayed 3 days there, then came to Selva Verde and continued on to Arenal and Monteverde.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 08:42 AM

I went to Tortuguero late June last year and there were some turtles nesting during that time but we didn't see any on our beach and the water was too rough to boat to another beach. I still LOVED Tortuguero and would go back in a heartbeat even off-turtle season. In fact, chancing it again this year by going about a week later (June 29th-30th).

That said, Osa is by far my favorite area in CR, but in my opinion you need a minimum of 3 nights - even better 5-7.

How old are your kids?
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 09:41 AM

We've been to Tortuguero in July and saw turtles. We really loved it.
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 07:47 AM

I agree that Sarapiqui might be a better option than heading to Tortuguero. You'll save a lot of travel time and see a little-explored part of the country. For info on the regions, here are some good articles:
Monteverde - www.crtraveler.com/english/article.php?id=245
Arenal - http://www.costaricatraveler.com/eng...icle.php?id=12
Sarapiqui - http://www.costaricatraveler.com/eng...icle.php?id=19

I hope this helps!