Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Looking for low key place to fish & dive along Yucatan coast.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 09:47 AM
TC

We spend several weeks in Cozumel Mexico each winter. We would like to add one week of fly-fishing and snorkeling and diving in a new location to that trip. In previous years we've added Belize and Roatan. Next year we're looking for something a bit closer to Cozumel. Thinking about places south of Playa del Carmen, near the biosphere area perhaps. Do not care for the all inclusive resort scene. Really want something small, somewhat private, low key, laid back, moderately priced. We are two 40-something couples, the guys dive and fly-fish, we ladies are avid snorkelers and love to lay in hammocks and read. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:47 AM
Carole Glab

Dear TC, <BR>check out the web sites below for a beach front villa 3 miles north of the Tulum ruins. Sounds like what you are looking for. Also check out the link for photo album<BR>http://CasaTropical.com<BR>Secluded, romantic, 1/2 acre beachfront property, with cenote just up the beach for great snorkeling and diving.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 10:56 AM
xx

I need an answer to this too.

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Nancy

AKUMAL!<BR><BR>Go to locogringo.com and check it out. <BR>We're leaving next week for 4 nights in Akumal and then two weeks in Cozumel. (Our ninth trip there.)<BR><BR>If you like Cozumel, but are looking for a low-key laid back place, Akumal is it. You can also dive/snorkel in the cenotes close by. Casa Cenote has a neat beach bar, and the cenote is just off the beach and there is an underground river that all the salt water fish go into the cenote from - cool!<BR><BR>You have a pretty big choice of accommodations from very 'luxe villas with pools to casitas to hotels to condos. (Again, locogringo.com can help you out with that, too.)<BR><BR>Must go to La Buena Vida restaurant/bar!<BR>Playa is pretty neat too, but not as laid back. Akumal is a better choice to pair with Cozumel. We've done both combinations. (Go to Akumal first and decompress.)<BR>

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 07:22 AM
TC

Hi Nancy; Thanks for your advice on Akumal. I'll look into it right away. We just returned from our tenth visit to Cozumel - this year adding Roatan, Honduras on the front. Cozumel is so wonderful. I can't imagine a year without it. In fact, we've often discussed retiring there. You must love it equally. Where do you stay in Cozumel? Have a wonderful, relaxing holiday and thanks again.<BR>

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Nancy

Hi TC!<BR>We've stayed at Presidente Inter-Conti every year -we just can't get enough! Love the hotel and the staff is just delightful. Prices on real estate there are really tempting as compared to other Caribbean Islands. We just started going to Akumal a couple of years ago and liked it better than PDC.<BR>Have a great time - I know you will.