Search

LOL vs. Chan Chich

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL vs. Chan Chich

HI, guys - I'm interested in Lamanai Outpost Lodge and Chan Chich. How close are these two to one another? Would it be worth spending time at each one? Do they have comparable wildlife? Thanks for any guidance you can give me! Just trying to figure out how they compare.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 09:39 PM
RAC

We heavily researched these two places for last year's trip. We only wound up staying at the LOL, but what our research turned up is that apparently CC is more luxurious and is more of a true, deep rainforest setting--optimal for seeing wild cats etc. We wound up choosing the LOL because it had access to much more interesting ruins, had more variety in the types of activities, and had the free river ride to get there as opposed to paying hundreds of dollars just to get to CC.

We certainly would have done both, time and budget permitting.

We would enthusiastically recommend the LOL to any nature lover--we got within four feet of a BIG Morelet's croc on the ride there, and frequently found ourselves surrounded by howler monkeys in the trees. The food and service were also as good as we've ever enjoyed. Birding too was great--everything from Jabiru to Agami to Red-Capped Manakins, with Mot-Mots, tanagers, parrots, toucans of course.

I'm certain we would have had similarly glowing remarks about CC. It doesn't appear you can go wrong.

Here's our trip report (use the FB link for the photos).
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 09:40 PM
RAC

Oops, he's that trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/community/mexi...ruary-2010.cfm
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 09:11 AM

Hi vgirl! I reasearched and came up with similar finds as RAC and decided to go for LOL for the same reasons, plus cost. And I'm really looking forward to the boat trip in.
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, RAC; I'll go back and reread your trip report. hip, can't wait to hear what you think when you get back.
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 10:43 AM

I have been to Chan Chich twice and LOVED both trips. It is definitely geared more towards nature/wildlife lovers since there aren't really other types of tours. I passed on LOL because the wildlife options are fewer. You can take a day trip to LOL from Chan Chich, or opt to arrive by boat via LOL.

The food, staff, and lodging at CC is second to none in our travels and worth the cost. Plus, there is no better place in central america to spot a wild cat. We have seen 3 ocelots in our two trips as well as fresh puma and Jaguar tracks.

If you are Belize long enough, why night spend time at both?
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 12:01 PM

<i>If you are Belize long enough, why night spend time at both?</i>

That's what we decided

We felt that we saw equal amounts of wildlife at LOL and CC but there was some variation in species as they're in different environments so it would be worthwhile to do both. You definitely have a better chance of seeing cats at CC. We also felt that they were equally geared toward nature/wildlife as even the ruins tour at LOL is very much wildlife focused (as are almost all of their other tours). LOL and CC are 2 hrs by road from each other.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, guys - they are both very tempting.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 06:25 PM

VG, great question – I am struggling with the same dilemma.
I am leaning towards LOL, and Patty’s comment “We felt that we saw equal amounts of wildlife at LOL and CC” is somewhat reassuring. Although I understand the variation in species.

My problem is that I am afraid that CC is too remote, and DH will get bored. LOL seems to offer more variation in activities, including water activities, has a lagoon view, plus it is cheaper.

I know this will not help you, just wanted to share my thoughts…good luck choosing.