Search

lima to cuzco to la paz

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lima to cuzco to la paz

Hello,

I'm traveling in September to Lima and would like to make my way to Cuzco the same day I get into Lima. I get in early morning. After doing some hiking in the area and checking out Machu Picchu, I want to head over to Lake Titicaca for a day or two and then on to La Paz. I would like to do this on a budget (without flying). Any recommendations? Thanks very much.

Scott
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 05:06 AM

Most flights into and out of Cuzco depart in the early morning so if you arrive in Lima you will have to spend one night there in order to catch a plane. So if you want to leave Lima on the day of your arrival you can't take the plane. But, it is a long journey up to Cuzco by road. You can catch the train part of the way but you will bacvktrack when travelling to Lake Titicaca. A single plane flight from Lima to Cuzco only costs $100 thereabouts so I would splash out on that and then after Cuzco catch a train to Lake Titicaca and then a bus on to La Paz. If you read The Old Patagonian Express before you go you will read how Paul Theroux was unable to get from Lima to Cuzco overland and he had to take a plane. Things have moved on since he wrote the book but be warned - travelling overland to Cuzco is a drawn out affair. Many Peruvians and most tourists take the plane. Unless you are really on a shoestring yopu chould consider this too.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. Maybe we will have to reconsider and take a flight after all. My flight gets into Lima 6:10 AM. Can you tell me what time the flight is from Lima to Cuzco?
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 10:21 AM

I flew from Lima to Cusco a few months ago. I think it was on Lan Peru, but there are other airlines. Our flight left at 6:45am. Lima airport seems small for such a big city, still you'd have to go through customs... Try to find a website for Lan Peru, Lan Chile, etc.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 12:05 AM

Unless you buy your onward ticket (ie Lima-Cuzco) as part of your international ticket into Peru I don't think you will make a smae day connection. 6.45am soundslike one of the last flights of the day from Lima-Cuzco. Try LanPeru and AeroContinente. LanPeru is owned by LanChile which is part of BA's FF network.