Search

Liberia or San Jose

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Liberia or San Jose

We are staying in Costa Rica for 7 nights, 2 in Arenal, 2 in Monteverde and 3 in Tamarindo, and we are trying to decide which airport to use.

We can save $100 flying into San JOse but how much time would we lose? How long does it take to drive to ARenal from San jOse? How about from Liberia? how long of a drive from Tamarindo back to these airports?

thanks for your help!!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:29 AM

We stayed at Flamingo Beach several years ago, flew into San Jose, and took a Sansa flight to Tamarindo. Liberia was open then but not for international flights. We didn't go to Arenal but were told that San Jose is about a 4 hour drive from Tamarindo. Liberia is only about 45 minutes. Since you will be going back from Tamarindo, I would probably choose Liberia airport. Driving in that area was not difficult so you could rent a car and return it at the airport instead of paying for a flight or transfer back to San Jose.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. does anyone know long the drive is from Liberia to Arenal? How about Arenal to Monteverde? And Monteverde to Tamarindo?

Do you think staying 2 nights each in Arenal and MOnteverde and 3 nights in Tamarindo is the best mix for a week trip or should we change it up at all? We are very active!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:07 AM

My opinion is to do just two locations if you only have 7 nts, mainly due to travel times and amount of daylight. It gets dark between 5:30 and 6pm. Liberia is my choice, 45 mins to an hour to Tamarindo and I think 3.5 - 4 hours to Arenal. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 06:21 PM

Our third trip to CR is in February for 4 weeks, I am looking forward to it.

On our first trip we started from Liberia to Monteverde, from there to Arenal as you plan. 7 nights aren't too much, but I couldn't do CR without enjoying the beaches. The best beaches are around Samara and Nosara(for us, we like less crowded places), but Tamarindo is a good choice too. My other favorite beach is Playa Grande and Playa Conchal. Five years ago to drive from Nosara to Liberia on the coast took almost the whole day.
The best guidebook so far in my oppinion was by Christopher P. Baker (Moon Travel Handbooks) Very detailed for people who want to drive around and discover CR. Every little road, how to find places, etc. We can't go without it!
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 10:15 AM

The drive from SJ to Tamarindo is 5 to 6 hours, we just did it. People who had just traveled from Tamarindo to Arenal and return said the trip took well over 4 hours each way with at least 2 hours from the main highway to Arenal. The roads in the area are in absolutely terrible shape.

We were told by someone who was just getting out of their vehicle, the Liberia airport to Tamarindo trip was 90 minutes.

You absolutely cannot drive safely at night due to the potholes.

Old Jan 29th, 2006, 10:34 AM

Have you looked into how much it would cost to fly into San Jose and return from Liberia? Sometimes it can be less than roundtrip Liberia.

If you did this, your drive from SJO to Arenal would be about 3.5 hours, Arenal to Monteverde about 4.5, Monteverde to Tamarindo about 4 hours and then Tamarindo to Liberia airport about 45 minutes - 1 hour (as opposed to the 4-hour drive from Tamarindo back to San Jose.)

If the roundtrip San Jose were a lot less expensive, you could drop off your car at the Tamarindo airstrip and then take a flight back to San Jose to connect with your international flight (provided it's not an early morning flight out). That one way flight would be about $80 per person.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 04:11 PM

My dos colones here........
I have paid the premium to fly into Liberia just to avoid SJO because of the congestion. I realize Liberia has it's own these days but maybe some additional time should be added on to those drive times when trying to get in and out of SJO and the surrounding area.