last minute trip to argentina

Old Nov 5th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
last minute trip to argentina

We've just booked a flight to argentina to arrive november 28 and leave dec 10. This is the last minute of last minute trips and am now trying to plan. My idea is to spend Wed 11/28 to Tuesday 12/4 in Buenos Aires, then 12/4 to 12/9 in Salta region, including Cafayate. Back to BA on the 9th and leave late on the 10th to California. My question is: how sorry will I be if I don't go to Iguazu Falls? I looked at airfares and connections (BA to Iguazu to Salta and back to BA or some combination thereof) and its expensive and time consuming to add the Iguazu portion. On the other hand, maybe it's a crime to miss Iguazu. Would be very grateful for any advice on the matter.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 06:43 PM

This is sure to upset Angie, a guide who lives in Salta and posts here faitfully, but I would recommend that anyone going to Argentina that they see Iguazu Falls before venturing to any other region of the country, including the North West. A second observation: you are not leaving much time to see Buenos Aires.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 07:20 PM

As the good drdawggy said, "This is sure to upset Angie, a guide who lives in Salta and posts here faitfully" (sic), but, at that time of the year, I would favour Bariloche or Southern Argentina in general, instead of Salta.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Sox

Does this sound reasonable? How are the internal flights in Argentina on LAN? 1 night(s) at Reconquista Garden Hotel - Classic Room in Buenos Aires (Buffet Breakfast) DBL (1 rooms - 2 pax)

3 night(s) at Sheraton Internacional Iguazu Hotel in Iguazu Falls (IGR) (Falls View) (Buffet Breakfast) DBL (1 rooms - 2 pax)

5 night(s) at Edelweiss Hotel in Bariloche (Classic) (Buffet Breakfast) DBL (1 rooms - 2 pax)

4 night(s) at Reconquista Garden Hotel in Buenos Aires (Classic) (Buffet Breakfast) DBL (1 rooms - 2 pax
Thanks for any suggestions. Much appreicated
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 10:31 PM

I would think two nights in Iguazu should be sufficient.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 11:27 PM
mjs

You all better watch out as Angie is going to come after you! I too think two nights in Iguazu would be fine. I also do not think you need to spend for the falls view room. The Sheraton third floor was going through renovations in June so you might want to stay on that floor if they are done.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 04:36 AM

Does this sound reasonable? How are the internal flights in Argentina on LAN? 1 night(s) at Reconquista Garden Hotel - Classic Room in Buenos Aires (Buffet Breakfast) DBL (1 rooms - 2 pax)

3 night(s) at Sheraton Internacional Iguazu Hotel in Iguazu Falls (IGR) (Falls View) (Buffet Breakfast) DBL (1 rooms - 2 pax)

5 night(s) at Edelweiss Hotel in Bariloche (Classic) (Buffet Breakfast) DBL (1 rooms - 2 pax)

4 night(s) at Reconquista Garden Hotel in Buenos Aires (Classic) (Buffet Breakfast) DBL (1 rooms - 2 pax

Questions/comments...why the Reconquista Garden? The few reviews I have seen have been favorable but it has not been widely reviewed and Esmeralda and Viamonte, while not a terrible location, is not exactly the most scenic part of downtown...
I am not suggesting this is a bad choice because I do not know this hotel...just asking if there was a reason for selecting this hotel/location....

Sheraton...how much time will you spend in your room? I agree that two nights is enough to see Iguazu...I enjoyed a falls view room, because my wife and I retreated to our room and enjoyed a cool beverage from our balcony with a view to the falls in the afternoons and coffee in the mornings... but if you plan non-stop touring....the jungle view rooms might be best for you....

Internal flights on LAN are fine in my experience. Nicely run airline...if there are strikes involving airport personnel (not LAN employees) all flights could be delayed...otherwise, the ontime record and comfort is much better than on Aerolineas.

I do not know the Edelweiss...but it gets good reviews.. We stayed at Llao Llao when we were in the area and loved every minute of it....
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 05:34 AM

...or you will get Skatedancer after you ...

We had the same decision to make for our first trip to Argentina, and an even shorter time frame (eight nights, but nine full days) and we picked BA and Salta region. I also wanted to see Iguazu, and still hope to get there someday, but I have no regrets about our choice.

We went in early November, though, so I can't comment on the best place in terms of weather.

the reason we picked Salta over Iguazu was that the falls principally offered natural wonders, while Salta promised scenery, culture, wines, food and music, which is what we got.

I'm not saying that Salta is a better choice than Iguazu, or anywhere else for that matter, but for our purposes, it really fit the bill.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 05:55 AM

There are no bad choices...choose based on what appeals to you....
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 10:37 AM

I have to chime in here.

Our first trip included Iguazu/Patagonia, the second trip we did the NW. As much as we loved the NW, after a trip to Utah this summer, I could only think, wow, this is similar to NW Argentina (scenery wise that is). Of course, the people/culture are totally different (and great).

When we went to Iguazu, there is nothing to compare it to in this country (Niagra Falls does not even come close).

So, even though the trip to Iguazu might be time consuming, I think it's well worth it, it's one of the most amazing places we've ever seen.

Hope that helps.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

OK everyone - cannot thank you all enough. Based on what I read in this forum, I actually spent the extra $$ to change plane reservations and extend our stay. Now arriving on 11/28 and leaving Dec 13. One week in BA (apt in Palermo), dec5 to 7 at Iguazu (sheraton), Dec 8-12 in the Salta region. We have a very specific reason for going to Salta and Cafayate so not much choice there. Thank you very, very much for all your input. And, BTW, could use a guide for the salta area.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 02:54 PM

That one's easy: As a TOP independent guide for our NW, I suggest Angie [email protected]

Don't take my word for it. Check her out in the trip advisor forum by googling "Angie" with their search feature.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 02:57 PM

Technical problem there. Copy the WHOLE e-mail address.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Syl

Great idea. We did the same amount per area as you're doing. Iguazu is thrilling, especially the Devil's Throat.Salta & Jujuy Provinces are spectacular, especially Purmamarca & I also suggest you book Angie if she's available.If not, try Active_Argentina.com which we used because Angie wasn't available. There's something about Buenos Aires that makes you want to go back..the people, the food,the layout of the city,the Palermo greenery,Puerto Madero,the inexpensive peso, etc.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Syl - I also got in touch with adriana for BA. Thanks for the reference. Left a note for angie and will try the other guide if she's not available. This board has saved me. Next year we'll go to south to Bariloche.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 10:38 AM

emcass; do not pay attentions in any comment about weather... you will see. NW has a great climate.
Warm regards.
Flintstones
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Sox

Please suggest a few day trips outside of Buenos Aires. We will be there end of December-beginning of January.
Thanks
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 12:08 AM

A couple of suggestions:

1. A trip to Estancia Los Dos Hermanos for a day of horseback riding and a BBQ under the open skies of Pampas....

http://www.estancialosdoshermanos.com/

2. Head over to Colonia, Uruguay via the Buquebus Ferry....

Take the train to Tigre, where you can explore the open air market before jumping on a boat to explore the labyrinth of waterways and islands that make up the delta region. Stop for lunch on one of the islands.

You can do this trip inexpensively by taking a water taxi...or you can charter a boat and really explore the area, which is rich in wild life...especially birds...
www.barbacharters.com.ar/

Old Nov 10th, 2007, 01:08 AM

I suggest you check out the reviews Estancia Los Dos Hermanos gets on TA: http://tinyurl.com/3xna57
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Sox

We are not riders. Does it pay to spend a day at Estancia Los Dos Hermanos? The trip to Colonia, Uruguay sounds more appealing. It is a day trip, right? How often does the water taxi take?
Thanks for information.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information