Last Minute Itinerary Thoughts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be arriving in Liberia on Aug 6th. Staying in Playa Hermosa area on the 7th and 8th. Leaving the morning of the 9th headed to Monteverde. Staying the night in Monteverde at De Lucia Inn Hotel. Leaving the following morning sometime and heading to Arenal staying the 10th at Arenal Observatory Lodge and the 11th at Tabacon Hot Springs. Head back to Playa Hermosa sometime the 12th. We have a 4x4 rented so coming and going is at our own pace. Do you think this is doable and still have enough time to enjoy the two areas. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 06:56 AM

You're going to be on the road a lot during that time, especially on the 12th. Tabacon to Playa Hermosa could take, perhaps, 8-10 hours over some pretty rough roads.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 08:21 AM

What do you plan on doing in Monteverde? You'll be there such a short time, not sure it's worth the time it takes to get there. Jean
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

We were hoping to get to Monteverde where we could visit the butterfly garden and hike a bit and possibly do a canopty tour. That was about all we thought of doing.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 10:38 AM

I agree that you have a very large amount of driving - especially on the 12th- not my idea of a fun vacation.
I also think you should skip Monteverde. There are plenty of other canopy tours, loads of chances for hiking and lots of free flying butterflies around.

Just my opinion - everyone has their own idea of a fun vacation.....

Jerry
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 11:01 AM

I love Monteverde, but I'm just not sure if one night is enough to appreciate the place. The drive there is adventure in itself, we thought it was fun, but it does take lots of time, slow going. If you like road trips, go for it. Jean
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Also we don't have to be back in Playa Hermosa on the 12th. We could stop in between but I didn't know what was available to see and do. So the thought was to head back. But as I say it isn't a necessity.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 04:39 PM

I was mistaken about one thing I said: on your return from Tabacon to Playa Hermosa, you wouldn't pass through Monteverde, so it would be a shorter trip. (My apologies.) You'd go Tabacon to Tilaran (pretty slow-going), but then once you get to Tilaran, you head to Cañas, Liberia and out to Playa Hermosa (much better roads, at least for Costa Rica). But you still could be looking at 5-6 hours on the 12th.

The day you go from Playa Hermosa to Monteverde could also mean about 5 hours on the road. At most, you'd have an afternoon or part of an afternoon in Monteverde, probably not enough time to do a canopy tour, butterfly garden and hiking.

Driving Monteverde to Arenal can also take 5-6 hours (Very slow-going). I'd get a very early start that day and try to get as much of the trip in as possible before the afternoon rains come.

Much as I love Monteverde, I'd skip it if I were you. A half-day doesn't do the place justice.

I've done all these drives. They're do-able, but they take a lot more time than you'd think, especially this time of year. Not only is your itinerary a lot of time in the car, but it's a lot of time in the car on bad roads.

Keep us posted
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 05:37 AM

I agree that your doing too much driving. But also changinh Hotel frequently. When your in the Arenal area just pick one place and stay 2 nights. You can drive around the local area and see the sights. Why do all that checking in and out. You can still go the hot spings and sit in the springs without staying at the Lodge there. I reccomend Los Logos Hotel in Lafortuna but those your selected are good also.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all your input. We are seriously considering not going to Monteverde. But the decision probably won't be made until we get into CR.