Search

Last Minute CR questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last Minute CR questions

Well the time has come and on monday Im heading for Costa Rica. I have a few questions that some of you may be able to help me with. I have seen some news lately about some pretty bad flooding at the end of november and early december. Seems the caribbean side got the worst of it and Im heading to the nicoya peninsula so I think it should be ok. Has anyone been there recently to confirm, or talked with anyone who has? Also, I was thinking about trying to make it to manuel antonio for a night but wondered if it was feasible. Does anyone think it would be possible to take the water taxi in montezuma to jaco then get a ride to manueal antonio and get back to montezuma the next day? My guess is the ride from jaco to manuel antonio may just be too long to make the trip worthwhile. Finally, was just wondering if there is any way to distinguish legit cabs from illegitimate ones around the airport in san jose. Thanks everyone!
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 08:28 PM

The orange taxi's are the legit ones at the airport. Elsewhere the red ones with triangle on door are legit. I wouldn't attempt personally to do Montezuma- Jaco-MA-Jaco-Montezuma in one day, no. As far as I know, the boar tours are only in the early am, which may get you over but not sure how you'd get back. Lot of traveling for little spent there.
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 10:29 PM

We were in MA the Friday after Thanksgiving and stayed four nights. Heavy rain at times but all is well.

Arrived at Peace Lodge on 12/3 and it was REALLY wet there but we didn't hear of any flooding concerns. You should be fine.

As mentioned, it is easy to tell the actual taxis. At SJO it is simple in that you can go up to the window (as you are leaving the airport) and ask for a voucher. They will charge you the going rate for your destination and give you a slip to provide to one of the taxi drivers outside.

Enjoy your vacation!
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you. Now its time to finish up the prep work and im off!
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 09:53 AM

Just spoke w/ step son the other day, a native Tico. Says road are still washed out to Bri Bri, which is going south down to Panama, on the Caribbean coast. The bridge to Puerto Viejo is just a temporary bridge, but the roads are always a mess down there, pot holed. But the food is worth it, you just have to be patient.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 05:52 PM

At the airport, get your taxi at the official taxi booth inside the airport - just past the baggage area. You pay in advance. The fare into San Jose 2 weeks ago was $22. They take dollars or colones. You pay in advance. They give you a ticket and tell you the number of the cab which you are supposed to get into.

Its a bit over an hour from Jaco to MA. So in theory you could do it - but I'm not sure if all the travelling and expense is worth it.

Pura vida
raquel