La Paz Waterfalls on way to La Fortuna?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're starting to plan our trip to CR. We will be spending about 1 week and will split our time between Arenal Volcano and Monteverde areas.

We don't have our flight info yet, but I presume that we'll spend our first night in San Jose and head out to Fortuna the next day. Is it advisable to do the La Paz Waterfall Gardens tour on our way? It seems like a really nice place that we shouldn't miss.

Conversely, how far is it from the airport? Should we just stay there our first night?

Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 11:58 AM

Peace Lodge is only just over an hour from the airport. If your flight comes in early enough, you could certainly spend your first night here.

Otherwise, leave out early in the morning, tour the waterfall gardens and then head onto Arenal. It is about 3 hours to Arenal, allow yourself enough time to get to your destination before 6 PM.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 08:11 AM

If our plane gets in at 6:00 pm and we need to pick up a rental car, is it okay to drive to Peace Lodge for the first night? Or is it not a good idea to travel at night and we should just stay in town?

Thanks!
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 06:29 AM

Lorrie, I really would not advise driving in CR after dark. By the time you get through customs and get your car, it will be well after dark.

It is a bit confusing getting through Alajuela and then the roads are narrow and winding, with few road markers.

You might consider staying somewhere in or near SJ and having your vehicle delivered (or pick it up) the next morning.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 10:05 AM

I agree with dfarmer. Don't try to drive to Peace lodge that first night. It will be dark when you get out of the airport.
Check out Orquideas Inn in Alajuela. It's on the way to Peace Lodge. You can take a cab there and then have your car delivered to the Orquideas Inn early the next morning. Have their wonderful breakfast then head to La Paz about 9:00, tour the falls for the morning then you'll still have time to get to Arenal before dark.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 06:43 PM

Thanks for the advice on not attempting to get to Peace Lodge at night--it's just so hard not to want to start our vacation immediately! Now we're thinking of spending our next to the last night there, doing the falls and gardens the next morning and then driving to San Jose late afternoon. We have to stay in San Jose the last night because our plane takes off really early in the morning. Or, another plan is to hit La Paz on our last day without staying at Peace Lodge but I'm concerned with leaving all our stuff in the car (SUV--no trunk) in the parking lot of La Paz. Has anyone done that or is it just not a good idea?

Thanks! Lorrie
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 05:03 AM

I understand how difficult it is - but you will much enjoy your overnight in or near SJ and this will be the beginning of a very memorable vacation. Ally mentioned Orchideas, this is an enjoyable, not so expensive place to stay. Good conversations, good food, pleasant surroundings.

Also to remember, that first night you will be very tired. Personally I never seem to get any sleep the night before we travel, then with the nearly all day traveling, I look forward to getting to our hotel fairly quickly and then enjoying my first Imperial of the trip!!

Peace Lodge does have security in their parking lot. Obviously I cannot say that nothing will happen, but they do have security and Peace Lodge/La Paz is not in a city with lots of street traffic, etc.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 08:01 AM

How many nights do you think we should stay at Peace Lodge? We have 14 nights total and I had everything all planned out, but then we seem to keep changing our minds! Right now we're thinking this:
San Jose first night
Villa Lapas 2 nights
Monteverde Lodge 3 nights
Arenal-Lost Iguana 3 nights
Selva Verde Lodge 3 nights
Peace Lodge 1 night
Back to San Jose 1 night
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 12:36 PM

Peace Lodge is really nice. You want to make sure you have at least a whole day to go through the property but if you get a deluxe room you'll want to spend a lot of time in there. I didn't want to leave! But if you are the same person thinking of leaving your stuff in the car in their parking lot, I would NOT. Take it inside -- they have a room to hold luggage if you're only day-tripping.

Sandy