la carolina lodge/rio celeste

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone been here? We plan on spending the last 3 nights of our 2 weeks trip here in august. We are a family with two boys. We like off the beaten track adventure, and will have been in the more touristy arenal/manuel antonio areas. Any reviews of the lodge?
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 05:15 AM

We will be spending three nights there as well in August. I have only heard good things about La Carolina Lodge. Shillmac has been there and I'm sure she'll chime in here soon.

Have you checked it out on Tripadvisor? There is a new review of it on there, plus others.

I am so excited to stay there!! We'll be driving there our first night in CR. Remote, no electricity, rustic, what a way to start the 'pura vida'!
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 09:18 AM

Do a search on this board for message titled: 30 days in Costa Rica: Highlight #1 La Carolina in Bijagua de Upala

You'll find a detailed report from tica traveler. It's 2004 but lots of great detail. I saved it myself-as a reminder to plan to go there some day. And, in fact, I gave the report to a neighbor and she and her fam went there a couple years ago. (kids aged about 8 and 12 maybe then?) they had a great time!

Shillmac might be awhile posting as I believe she's in CR as we speak .. .
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 05:13 AM

upping for shillmac as she has stayed there, just in case she stops by - hey even though she's on vaca no rest for the weary traveler!
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 01:56 PM

Ah Tully, you knew I´d ¨stop by¨!

Will do a separate post regarding a fun time here in CR so far. .

BUT, La Carolina is really close to my heart. I first heard about it with the report that Glover mentioned from Tica Traveler. She got me very interested. We were there in July of 2006 for 2 nights, which I thought was a good length of time. Three might be pushing the envelope a bit, actually, as far as activities to interest your boys, but for us old fogies, another day of resting in the hamaca might have been okay!

It´s not for everyone. . .be prepared for no electricity. I heard that might change, but goodness, I HOPE not! Woud totally destroy the ambiance!

English is not spoken, but communication is not a problem. The staff is amazing, VERY friendly and hospitable and kind. 3 women manage and do the cooking. Alejandro takes care of the horses and will do tours with you, such a nice fellow! Jose was helpful also, but we spoke with him less.

We enjoyed the grounds and relaxing on the afternoon of our arrival and the morning of our departure. We had one full day. On that day, we went with Alejandro to hike Volcan Tenorio and see the Rio Celeste. It was a fun morning, and we returned about 1 o´clock, I think. After lunch and rest, Alejandro took us horseback riding. I am a birder and he was very good to point out all the birds and wildlife. I added a lot of new birds to my list while there, most very beautiful.

Meals were taken around a big table with everyone at the lodge enjoying the conversation. There was a lady from Germany (she spoke English) and a family from France (very little English) when we were there, but it was not a problem, amazingly enough. We all had a little Spanish and that saw us through. But if not, then still it would be okay.

The jacuzzi down by the river heated with a wood stove was just our most treasured memory. It was the coolest thing we´d seen! Cleaned daily, and very large actually.

The weather was gorgeous.

It isn´t for everyone, but the adventurous and ¨out of the comfort zone folks¨ will find it a very special place. I think we paid about $50 per day per person, all included. Even the guide.

If you go, please enjoy!
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the great info! I will give a report once we are back from our stay.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 04:31 PM

Elvis63, when will you be there. We will be at La Carolina August 4,5,&6th. It'll be here soon!!