Search

Kayaking in Belize

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kayaking in Belize

We have 3 days in Belize this December with a car. My husband is a fanatic kayaker. Should we stay in Belize city so that I can wander - read shopping - with him doing day trips? Or would one of the more remote spots be better for the entire time.
We had planned to drive to Tikal for the next 2 nights, but can't seem to find any accomodation information anywhere. Should we just fly in for a day from Tikal. We will be starting and ending this trip in the Yucatan.
Any advice would be most welcomed.
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Original Poster

Oops, meant fly in from Belize City to Tikal.
Old May 20th, 2006, 05:06 AM

Maybe this will work best for you-Drive from MX to the border, fly from Corozal in Belize to Ambergris, where you can rent kayaks, snorkel, dive, fish. You can fly to and from Tikal from Ambergris. If you didn't have the vehicle rental, you could bus down to Belize and fly back to Cancun from Flores/Tikal. Our best kayaking areas are further south and you'd need a few more days to get to and from.
Old May 20th, 2006, 06:54 AM

I wouldn't suggest staying in Belize City... you probably wouldn't feel too safe walking around alone in certain areas. Ambergris will probably suit your needs well... your hubby can kayak and you can enjoy the beach, walk around town, or take a snorkel trip.
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:05 AM

It depends on the sort of kayaking your husband is fanatic about - rivers or open water. I think there are kayaking opportunities inland - maybe a stay in the San Ignacio area would give him some time and there's a lot for non-kayakers to do there; great jumping off point for Tikal, too. Maybe this will be a lead:

http://www.slickrock.com/