Search

just returned from Mazatlan

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just returned from Mazatlan

Hi everyone...seems that Maz doesn't get too much activity in general. I would like to report that we had an absolutely fab time and we would definitely return. Our weather was cool and cloudy the first two days but after that it was sunny and 80 and not humid! The best part of the trip was the scrumptious food, the shrimp, the fish, the iced tea (yep), the margaritas, the salsa dip was heaven. Maz has great tomatoes! There was not one meal that I didn't thoroughly enjoy. Prices were more than reasonable and the Maz people were fantastic. On Xmas Eve we were at Casa Loma for dinner and could not get a taxi, it is off the beaten path, so the owner/manager drove us himself!!! Yes that is right, he left the restaurant and drove us...what a town! We were only there for 5 days so we did not get any deep sea fishing or other boat activities in but we can next time. Our hotel was good, a little far out but with a free shuttle to the sister hotel in town so it was fine. I am a rather picky, small eater and when I got home I had actually gained 5 lbs...amazing food. The old town section is also very interesting as well as the market. Hope this helps anyone that was thinking of Mazatlan, you should absolutely go, go, go!!!
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 10:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As a die-hard puerto vallarta fan, looking for a change this winter, i'm happy to hear your favorable post!

Is the Old Town and/or market area near the beach? I travel solo and don't want a resort so any hints about regular Mexican family-owned hotels from you or others would be great info to have.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Nope, the Old town area/market is not on the beach, just really cool to visit. Need to say the golden zone is the spot to be in Mazatlan...yes, it is resorts but no, they are not like Cabo resorts. It is easier to get around in the golden zone, you can walk, bike, etc. The resorts in Maz are not as commercial and loud and all-inclusive as say Cabo...they are less glitzy if you will. There is a spot 20 minutes out of town that sounds like heaven if you are an adventurer...I want to go there next...I think the name was Hacienda something...I will check it for you.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:40 AM

Thanks. You're giving me something fun to think about! I still can't do a resort though, even if it is slightly more low key than Cabo or Cancun. I don't mind being away from the beach and staying in inexpensive hotels downtown. I'll have to get myself a map so I better understand how the town is laid out. Thanks again.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 01:50 PM

Suze...I have stayed at Hotel oceano Palace...Northern end of Golden Zone...Laid back on th ebeach and not flashy at all.I second the recos for Old Town one of my favorite restaurants and a "must" for Mazatlan is The Shrimp Bucket,right in the center.Very authentic and fun.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 01:54 PM

Suze....Otra Vez! Mas informacion ! Actually you could stay at the Hotel La Siesta, where the Shrimp Bucket is located.Its across the street from the beach.Very authentic but i have not stayed there.Fifty eight rooms only.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 03:45 PM

Now you're talking! Thanks so much beachboi. I'm trying to branch out from by beloved PV where I have my favorite funky hotel of choice in old town, but surely want to keep the 'real mexico' thing going on wherever i end up.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 10:27 PM

Thanks for the report on Mazatlan. I visited there briefly while on a cruise once and have always wanted to go back for at least a few days.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Just wanted to get back to remembering the food...seriously, accomodations are not a problem in Maz, the golden zone is the resort area but there are many economical, good hotels located there. One reason to stay in the zone (we did not but will next time) is that everything in within walking distance, ie. shopping (my fav), food, some sights. I was not there long enough to be a location expert but from the short trip I'd say the zone was not at all like the Cancun strip, etc. Mazatlan is very laid back and it doesn't smack of tourism. I was very impressed with the amount of cleanliness too.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 08:42 AM

Thanks cesta for the encouragement about visiting Mazatlan. I just ordered a few new guidebooks from amazon.com!
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 09:21 AM

Suze......The dif between Cancun and Mazatlan is the same as between night and day.Being a Cali boy,I have enjoyed many trips to Mazatlan one reason due to its close proximity.What I really like about the city is that it is so non touristy.There is and has been for years a huge retirement community from the US and Canada.So local businesses seem to treat North Americans more as fellow residents than tourists.When I reluctantly follow my crowd of unceasingly "touristy" friends to Cancun, I KNOW I am a tourist by the treatment I get.Service is good, but not like I am treated as if I live there.I say go and you will never look back!
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 10:19 AM

BeachBoi- That's what is appealing to me about Mazatlan & sounds like it is similar to the Old Town and El Centro areas of Puerto Vallarta. That even if all the tourists went home, there would still be a vibrant Mexican town of local people living their lives. Cancun just sounds too darn scary to me, my tolerance for swim-up bars being extremely low -LOL.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 10:22 AM

Oh yes and thank you, from the website Hotel La Siesta looks perfect (but would love to have a small pool, which they don't, so will keep checking around).
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 11:01 AM

Suze.....You also might like the Howard Johnsons Don Pelayo.It's billed as a bed/breakfast.Just north of Old Town at the beginning of the Golden Zone on the beach.Very comfortable.I stayed there the first trip.Its just north of the ultra fabulous Valentino's,at one time the most posh disco in all of South America.Up on a bluff overlooking the ocean, it rocks.Laser lights,pounding rythyms, well worth the wait.But a site in itself if you dont go in.I have also stayed at the El Cid complex.But that borders on Cancunesque.Then farther up north a very nice hotel Oceano Palace.Very charming.There used to be a restaurant in there called Chuy's Choo Choo, really hoping.But I havent been there in a couple of trips.Authentic Mexican decor throughout.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 08:02 AM

suze:
We have been to Mazatlan 4 times and each time was fantastic! The town has approx. 800,000 people who treat you very well - Christina's for a very good message ($20/hr)[N. of the Dairy Queen]; recommend Balboa Towers at the South end of the 'Golden Zone' for a stay[tel:13-71-44],- avoid the El Cid properties if you desire a local 'flavor'; DO enjoy the many excellent restaurants including Casa Country,& La Costa Marinera; DO hike the lighthouse path; a Sunday bull fight is interesting too. Good leather apparrel, silver and of course - pottery, vanilla and blankets... Most of all is the happy and helpful people of Mazatlan who go out of their way to make your visit one to remember and a memory worth a repeat. GO!
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 09:02 AM

Thanks again to all for the good information and for letting me tag on to cesta's thread. Much appreciated.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 08:36 AM

Is anyone familiar with Motel Los Arcos in zona dorada? gracias.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 01:14 PM

I was in Mazatlan in about 1974/75.

Stayed at a place on the beach "El Camino Real"

I'm wondering what it's called now!

Had elevator down to ocean and heliport I believe--of course that was about it as far as accommodations at that time.

Also, remember going into old part of town where "tandori" stlye food cooked in clay similar to fondue was served at table--It was great food.

Anyone familiar w/either?
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 07:48 AM

libretango....Dont know about the "tandori"...But at the Shrimp Bucket downtown, the food is served in cast iron buckets, small..The shrimp is on top of the french fries...greasy but great! The hotel in question is the Faro Mazatlan
www.faromazatlan.com.mx
On the homepage, there is "English" top right hand corner if needed.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 11:01 AM

HELP! There's no room at the inn this Friday in Mazatlan. We're coming in one day before our timeshare starts and thought we could find a hotel for one night (2/4) but we didn't realize it is Carnaval. None of the big-name search engines (travelocity, expedia, etc) show any availability. Does anyone know a "mom and pop" place we can contact that will be inexpensive. We're travelling with an 80-year-old grandma and sleeping in a lounge chair by the pool doesn't excite her too much. HELP!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -