Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Just back from Mexico City, Oaxaca, San Cristobal de las Casas, Palenque, Merida: any questions?

Search

Just back from Mexico City, Oaxaca, San Cristobal de las Casas, Palenque, Merida: any questions?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2000, 10:31 AM
Al

The rate of exchange now (2/20/00) ranges from 9.40 to 9.00 to the dollar, depending where you do business and the type of exchange medium you use. Cash seems to work best. Beware of currency exchange places in U.S. airports--some try to tack on a whopping "service charge." Although Mexico has made many changes during the 30-some years we have traveled there, the people we encountered extended the same warm, helpful, and cheerful <BR>friendliness as ever.

Old Feb 20th, 2000, 04:56 PM
Jeannette

What is worth seeing and doing in Merida ? We will probably have only one day there. <BR>Thanks

Old Feb 20th, 2000, 07:14 PM
Al

In the city itself, spend time in the Zocalo (central park) people-watching. Be sure to see the marvelous series of giant historical paintings in the upper galleries of the Governor's Palace facing that square. If there is a stage production at the Teatro Peon Contreras, check it out. The main cathedral on the square is austere with nothing special to see. Stroll down Paseo Montejo, the closest thing in Mexico to the Champs Elysees. The homes remind one of Newport, RI, mansions. It's a great town for buying handicrafts. We found bargains in leather, sisal, and pottery. Make sure, if you can, to take the trip out to the big Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza (about 90 minutes drive east). We liked the Mayan ruins at Uxmal, about 90 minutes drive south. In either case, a good guide can make all those ruins come alive. Merida and surrounding Yucatan sites offer a lot to tourists. We did not go up to the port and beach at Progeso, but did get good reports. Others went west to see the big flamingo colony at the Celestun lagoons.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 05:29 AM
dan woodlief

Al, what did you think of Palenque? What are accomodations like there? We are thinking of going either this year or sometime in the near future. I am planning to take a lot of photos there too, and I was wondering whether to go for one or two days. Any advice? Thanks.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 06:31 AM
Jeannette

Thanks to AL for info -definitely intend to see Chichen Itza and Uxmal <BR>

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 06:36 AM
Jeannette

Just thought of one more question - is the U.S. dollar widely accepted or do we need many pesos ?

Old Feb 22nd, 2000, 09:17 AM
Al

Palenque itself is worth a full day. Stay if you can at Mision Palenque, a beautiful tropical paradise, immaculately clean, and with great food.It's in the town of Palenque itself and only a few minutes from the ruins. <BR>I can give you address details, if you can't find it in the guide books. Try to get to Palenque ruins early in the day;the light is fantastic against the jungle background. It's a great, great, great place -- a photographer's dream. As to American money being accepted, yes...and no. In Mexico City or resorts, yes. Otherwise, save yourself a lot of bigtime hassles and gets pesos. ATMs are very widespread. Simply insert your card, poke in your ID, and follow the screen instructions (often in both Spanish and English). You can only get pesos, however, from their ATMs. Usually, they give you a choice of, say, 300, 500, or 1,500; many machines offer other choices where you put in the number of pesos you wish. I don't know how their rates compare with currency exchanges...but I have a hunch our next bank statement will tell us.

Old Feb 26th, 2000, 08:44 AM
richard

<BR>please tell me about oaxaca

Old Feb 27th, 2000, 09:08 AM
Al

We first visited Oaxaca about 28 years ago, and we would have to say that it has improved enormously. There has been a lot of rebuilding and restoration in this old Colonial town. Signs of economic prosperity abound. Much cleaner streets. Same pleasant people. An abundance of good restaurants. The zocalo (main square) in the evening often offers marimba music or bands. Monte Alban is its top archeological site. People with no metal tools, or donkeys, or wheels scraped the top of a mountain flat and built an enormous complex of pyramids and temples. It's only a few minutes from the center of town and can be seen for miles around. The climate is like an eternal spring, cool and dry at this time of year. Even in summer, the temperatures are very pleasant. Oaxaca offer enormous selections and values in all kinds of native handicrafts--leather, ceramics, wood, silver, etc.

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 04:52 PM
Agnes

I am going to Puebla on business trip next week and thinking of spending the week end there and/or in oaxaca. Any suggestions? I am interested in very typical place and not too much into attractions full of tourist. Thank you in advance for your reply. A

Old Mar 18th, 2000, 06:55 AM
Terri

I am going to Mexico City, Puebla and Oaxaca in April. How did you travel? We are planning on taking the bus from Mexico City to Puebla then on to Oaxaca. Do you have a hotel recommendation for Mexico City? I have stayed at the Maria Christina before and it was nice(around U.S.$60) How about accomodations in Puebla? Any recommendations would be great. Thanks.

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 07:08 AM
marilyn

The Maria Christina is still nice--we were just there and had one room toward the back for around 550 pesos, and a smaller double room in the front which I actually preferred for 450 pesos. Good plan to go to Puebla (two hours from Mexico City) and then on to Oaxaca (four more hours)--we did it in one swoop, and 6 hours was a long time on the bus. I've never been to Puebla, so can't recommend any hotel. Do you have a hotel reserved in Oaxaca? We did not like the hotel booked on the internet, and ended up having to stay in 2 other hotels for our 3 remaining nights, cause none of the hotels had 3 nights. Was generally disappointed with the hotels we saw in Oaxaca: two many air shafts, not enough windows, even in very expensive places.

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 10:01 AM
Terri

Thanks Marilyn! We have reservations at Las Golondrinas in Oaxaca. I have read in many guidebooks and forums that this is a great place for only $32U.S.(approx.). I believe alot of the small hotels in Mexico have air shafts in their rooms, but from what I've read, Las Golondrinas has alot of rooms with french doors that open to the courtyard. <BR> Can you tell me what type of clothing would be appropriate for Oaxaca? Is it the same as most non-resort locations where shorts are in bad taste? I'll let you know how Puebla is when I return.

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 01:29 PM
marilyn

My first response was eaten up, so here goes another attempt...I too have heard good things about Las Golondrinas, and I hope it is nice. I know you frequently find airshafts in small patio-centered hotels, but when a number of rooms use the same airshaft in close proximity, you have to choose between privacy and ventilation. The room I couldn't stay in had only a faux window and a ceiling fan, no outside ventilation at all. <BR> <BR>Oaxaca was warmer than I expected at this time of year. In December, temperatures were pleasant in the daytime, cooler at night and in the early morning, so nobody was wearing shorts. Last week, though, shorts, jeans, khakis and capris, etc. were all in evidence, on locals and tourists of all nationalities.

Old Mar 26th, 2000, 01:37 PM
Kathy

Hi Al. I am heading down to Merida. Do you know anything about the Castellano Hotel? I would appreciate any info that you have about it. Thanks!

Old Mar 29th, 2000, 09:27 PM
Dolores

It is soo exciting to find someone who just came back from those areas! We (there is three of us going) are planning our summer vacation, and we too have chosen to go to San Cristobal De Las Casas, Oaxaca, Palenque, La Venta, and other surrounding archeological sites for ten days in July. While there, we are planning on renting a car and driving around. Can you please tell me how the roads are? In the past I have driven from Cancun to Xcalak and so I am somewhat familiar with mexican roads, however, the Chiapas area seems more remote and we are concerned that the distances that on a map look short, might take us hours to traverse. How long does it take to drive from Oaxaca to San Cristobal? San Cristobal to Merida? Are gas stations few and far between, or is that not a problem? <BR> <BR>Did you see any of the other archeological sites such as La Venta? Which ones would you recommend? Did you visit Agua Azul? One other thing, did you encounter any problems with the "war" that was going on (or might still be going on)? <BR> <BR>I hope these are not too many questions, but we can use all the info we can get. If you have any other advice I would greatly appreciate it! <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR>Dolores

Old Mar 31st, 2000, 04:01 AM
Al

Roads were two-land blacktop in good repair. Some road work going on near Villahermosa due to floods before Christmas. Agua Azul is beautiful and well worth your time. I am not familiar with La Venta so can't comment. Palenque is simply stunning. If you are going to Merida, be sure to see Uxmal and Chichen Itza; go early when it is cooler and the crowds have not yet arrived. We flew from Oaxaca to Tuxtla Gutierrez and then a bus took us on to San Cristobal. Then a bus took us via Agua Azul to Palenque. A bus took us on to Villahermosa from where we took a plane to Merida, so our estimate of road times would not be useful to you. In Villahermosa there is a marvelous jungle park set in the middle of that city; it contains enormous Olmec stone heads and other artifacts set amid trees, bushes, etc. just like out of Indiana Jones--no kidding. You will love it. We are not familiar with the Castellano Hotel in Merida--loved that city, tho!

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 07:04 PM
muyil

We are trying to plan a trip in early July to San Cristobal de las Casas for 12 days- on a limited budget. Right now, the R/T flights from San Antonio to Tuxtla Gutierrez are over $600. So we are trying to find a cheaper alternative, perhaps a bigger city w/promotional fares. Any help on more affordable time efficient alternatives would be great! <BR>We are having the same problem w/the rental car, we are being quoted $289 a week from Budget in Tuxtla. We really want drive- not use public transpo. Help! <BR> <BR>Also-We have read the Feb. 2000 State Dept. Travel Warning about Chiapas. The report sounds a bit scary. I would love to hear from anyone who has first hand knowledge of the current situation. <BR> <BR>Our Itinerary consists of (not in order): San Cristobal de las Casas, Agua Azul/Misol Ha, El Chorreadero, Bonampak, Montebello Lakes, Yaxchilan, Palenque, and Tikal (by air) etc. Any/ALL suggestions would be appreciated. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 05:05 AM
Al

When we were in Chiapas in February, we saw no signs of any civil disturbances. People were friendly to us everywhere we went. Have you considered flying to Villahermosa and driving up to San Cristobal, touching many of the places you mentioned? Villahermosa, although not one of the beauty spots of this hemisphere, is prosperous, modern, and probably has more competition (i.e. better prices) than other, smaller towns. In Chiapas, we would recommend that you confine your driving to the main roads and during daylight hours. We heard tales of tourists being accosted when alone, off the beaten track, and/or at night.

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 09:21 AM
lisa

Hi Al. I'm planning a trip to the Yucatan & Quintana Roo for November, and we are interested in staying 2-3 nights in Merida. Where did you stay there and would you recommend it? Any recommended restaurants? Did you tour the ruins independently, with guides, or as part of a group? How did you get to the ruins -- buses or rental car? How much time should we allow for Chichen Itza & Uxmal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -