Just Back from CR - Our Highlights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just returned from a 2 week vacation in Costa Rica and this board was crucial when I was planning my trip, so hopefully my information will help everyone. I'm happy to answer any specific questions, but here I have just included a summary of our trip highlights. We were happy with all of our hotels and I would recommend each one. I know it's hard to find good information on some of the smaller, less known hotels, so I'm happy to answer your specific questions. Suffice it to say that we will be back; we truly loved Costa Rica.

1 Ngt - Las Orquideas Inn
2 Ngts - Arenal Paraiso
4 Ngts - El Sano Banano Beach Resort (Montezuma)
4 Ngts - Mango Moon (Manuel Antonio)
2 Ngts - La Finca Que Ama (about 1 hr from San Jose)

Best memories -
1) Waking up to Howler monkeys at 6am in Montezuma and following their "roars" down the beach. We were the only ones on the beach when we discovered 3 Howlers hanging out in a tree looking down at us. 2) Watching the sunset every night at Mango Moon in Manuel Antonio.

Best Meal -
Dinner at La Finca Que Ama - We live in New York City and dining out is one of our favorite hobbies. Hands down, the food at this place rules. Also very memorable were dinners at Ylang Ylang (El Sano Banano) and Cocoleres in Montezuma and Karola's in Manuel Antonio.

Best Advice -
When taking the ferry from Putarenas, plan well. Try not to arrive at 10:35 and watch the 10:30 ferry sail away. 2 hours is a LONG time in Putarenas.

Scariest Moment -
When my suitcase became infested with ants b/c suntan lotion leaked. I can laugh about it now, but it was traumatic at the time. Oh yeah, the ants in Costa Rica bite (and the spiders are BIG!).

What you need to see for yourself -
The roads and the scary bridges! Some of them are quite an adventure...but the more popular tourist routes much better.

Best Hotel Atmosphere -
La Finca Que Ama - the owners, Neta and Arbel, are so kind and interesting. The B&B is really beautiful and we truly relaxed here. This is a great place to stop in between Arenal or the Nicoya Peninsula and Manuel Antonio or points further south. It's also only 1 hr from San Jose airport.

Most disappointing -
The people at the Manuel Antonio park who were feeding the monkeys, despite numerous signs.

Worst Meal - Food was really good in Costa Rica, but our dinner at Arenal Paraiso was terrible and it was our most expensive, which made it doubly bad.

All in all it was an amazing trip - lots of relaxing and lots of adventure. Have fun!
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 03:37 PM

What did you think of Las Orquideas? We are planning on spending our first night in CR here but I'm also looking at Vista Del Valle.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 03:55 PM

Las Orquideas Inn was really nice. The rooms were fairly basic, really clean and pleasant. The pool area is really nice and the Marilyn Monroe themed bar/restaurant is really cute and fun. Breakfast was very good and the staff was nice and helpful.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 06:08 PM

Can you offer me any specific advice regarding Arenal Paraiso. I will be there nights of April 14, 15 and 16 and will not eat there. I am also with three children ages 8, 9 and 11. Also, we are stopping at Neta's place for night of April 17 on our way to Manuel Antonio. I'd love any advice and tips. Anything especially come to mind that children might enjoy??
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 08:19 PM

Please tell me that the big spiders were not in your suitcase or even in your room...I will be fine w/ lizards, snakes, bats, biting ants, etc. or any spiders minding their own business outside. I just don't want one crawling around the bed or hiding in the shower....eeeeek!
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

CPME:
Hmm, we'll we don't have children yet so I'm probably not the best person to help for kid activities, but I can tell you what we did. At Arenal we went to the Nat'l park and walked over the old lava trails and watched and listened to the the volcano. It was really active while we were there so it mesmerized us for a while. If the weather is good the view is great from here and the lake is behind you. This is not a hard hike, it's mostly flat ground, but wear sneakers or hiking shoes. The Arenal Paraiso offered a tour for around 29.00 pp, but we did it on our own and had a great time. There are also canopy tours/zip lines and sky trams which I think would be great fun for the kids. Arenal Paraiso has a tour desk in their lobby with a lot of the area's activities.

At Neta's place, we went to Carara park to see the scarlet macaws. If you do this, I would suggest a guide (they have them at the entryway) b/c we would have never found the macaws without the guide. Turbari Park is also supposed to be great and that's only 15 mins from Que Finca. The pool is really nice there too so we relaxed in the afternoon.

Old Mar 18th, 2005, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

ltilson:

Well, one of our hotels had an outdoor shower and no screens on the windows so the spiders were technically minding their own business...

What I did learn is that they are very much scared of us and they scatter pretty quickly when approached. In all honesty, I think I was pretty unlucky with the ants and spiders, I talked to other guests in our hotel and they never saw any critters! In all seriousness, don't fret about it. I survived!

Old Mar 18th, 2005, 05:57 AM

Can you give us a mini review of Montezuma?
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

We loved Montezuma, but like everything else, I think it depends on your taste. To me, the town had a youngish international funky backpacker/hippie/independent traveler feel to it. I didn't see a lot of young kids around, so I don't see it as a great family destination (just my opinion!). We did see a handful of low key college spring breaker groups. It's an interesting place; we met lots of people from around the world who had visited Montezuma and never returned to the "real world". So you'll see your fair share of dreadlocks and campers. Overall it's a pretty laid back group of people. The town itself is a little contained village with lots of open air shops, bars, and restaurants. We really enjoyed walking around town after dinner. The beaches are gorgeous, although rocky and rough in some spots, it's still easy to find a calm cove for swimming. You'll have plenty of room to spread out on the beaches b/c they never seemed crowded. The beaches are also great for walking b/c you can walk for miles in one direction. They've even created trails through the forest for when the tide comes in so you won't get stuck. Everything past El Sano Banano Hotel (15 mins from the village) is protected land so there is no development and exploring that area is a lot of fun. We saw lots of Howler monkeys during our morning and evening beach walks. Food was good and prices were reasonable everywhere. Keep in mind that we're not backpackers or college students and we felt perfectly comfortable and quite happy in Montezuma. It's just not the type of place you'll see big tour buses.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 10:51 AM

jhand, thanks for sharing your trip report. I've been wondering if Las Orchideas would be a fun stop for our first 2 nights in Costa Rica before we drive up to Arenal. Right now I have 2 nights in San Jose but I don't think I want to take my family downtown. There isn't much to do at night near the airport...I thought maybe my 18, 19, and 23 year old son and daughters would enjoy meeting people at the Marilyn Monroe Bar at Orchideas if we stay there? Is it that kind of place?

Also, did you rent a car, and was it delivered to Orchideas for you? Thanks for any info!
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I'd stay at Las Orquideas before staying in San Jose. It's about a 10 minute ride from the airport and we arraged for the hotel to pick us up from the airport for $10. The next day Dollar picked us up at the hotel, free of charge, and took us to their office to complete the paperwork. There were quite a few people at the hotel arranging day trips so there are definitely things to do. When we arrived at the hotel it was already midnight (late flight from NYC) so I can't comment on the bar being a good hang out spot. We thought it was cute but it was late so it was pretty empty.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 01:37 PM

Thanks for your trip summary. I also find this board very helpful. Can you tell me how long was your drive from Montezuma to Manuel Antonio? Thanks!
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 04:14 PM

jhand, I appreciate your info about Orchideas and renting a car. You mentioned that Dollar picked you up from Orchideas freee of charge to complete the paperwork for the rental car...Was their office in San Jose? At the airport? So then, you reserved your rental car directly with Dollar, and not through the hotel?

So, did you drive from Orchideas to Arenal? That's what we'd be doing. Is the drive from Orchideas to Arenal shorter or more convenient than the drive from downtown San Jose to Arenal? I think it is, but I'm not sure.

Do you remember how long it took you to drive from Orchideas to Arenal?

Thanks so much!
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 10:29 AM

Hi jhand: We are considering staying at either Arenal Paraiso or Tabacon. How far is Arenal Paraiso from Tabacon? How far from MA? Any info/suggestions you/anyone else could provide would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 10:38 AM

Tell us about the Mango Moon.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 07:37 AM

Okay, here goes - I'll try to answer everyone's questions...-

Dollar's office is near the San Jose airport, not in downtown SJO. We picked up the car and drove directly to Arenal which took around 3 hours and is a really pretty drive. I booked Dollar on line and they were super responsive and organized. I'd use them again.

Arenal Paraiso is probably less than 5 minutes down the road from Tabacon. I didn't visit Tabacon resort so i can't compare. The best part to us about Paraiso was the view of the volcano! It was really spectacular. We were in a deluxe room which was large and comfortable and had a bit of a cabin feel to it. it's not luxurious but it's nice. The grounds are really well maintained and I had a surprisingly good reflexology treatment at the spa. The only negative aspect in my opinion to Paraiso was the food. We didn't make the drive from Arenal to MA (we stopped at Montezuma) but I think it would take around 5 hours.

Mango Moon in Manuel Antonio - This place is really great. The owners, Joni and Jeff, are amazingly helpful and nice. The view of the ocean and jungle are beautiful and the sunsets are the best. The interior is really comfortable and tastefully decorated. Breakfast was excellent. I'd highly recommend this place and I think the word is getting out b/c it was booked solid while we where there.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 07:48 PM

What about the drive from Arenal to Montezuma ? How long ? Was it tough ? ( I will be 5 months pregnant when we will go...
Why did you skip Monteverde ?
Thank you for your post
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 04:31 AM

jhand...my wife and i are considering CR in July. We will only have 5 nites there. We arent snobish but enjoy a nice hotel and things of that nature. Would you fly into SJ or Liberia? What city would you stay in? We want a combo vacation of beach/snorkling but also dont mind day ventures to go to a volcano or rafting or the rain forests. Any info would be very helpful
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 07:41 AM

Euripide: Assuming you have a car, the trek from Arenal to Montezuma is a long one. It's about 3 hours to Puteneras. I'd say the road to Puterneras is average - not horrible. You then have to take the car ferry to Pacquera (sp?) on the Nicoya Peninsula. The ferry ride is about 1 hr 15 mins, then you have about 1 hour to Montezuma. Montezuma is a gem, but the road for the last 30 mins is very very bumpy. We both felt a bit rattled by the time we got there...but it is a truely lovely place.

Old Apr 29th, 2005, 09:39 AM

jhand, thanks for the great trip report. Glad you had a successful trip!

We'll be in Costa Rica in June for our first family trip, getting nervous and excited!

I've alredy got our hotels but I might need to make a change because the airlines changed my 23-year-old son's return flight home.

Anyway I am thinking of adding in a 1 night stop at La finca Que Ama. Or maybe even a 2-night stop if I can fit it. Here's my question for you. Do you think there's enough to do at la Finca que Ama and nearby to interest young adults? My son is 23 and my daughters 18 and 19.

I try to plan trips which have something for everyone in the family...because at their age they don't have to come on family trips, but if I make it fun for everyone, they keep coming along, and I enjoy having them along!

So far we are flying into San Jose, and visiting Arenal, Monteverde, and Manuel Antonio. However, my son is disappointed that he will miss Manuel Antonio because he has to fly home a few days ahead of us to return to work.

I thought I could shuffle things around a bit and include an overnight stop at La Finca Que Ama. We would then be driving from Monteverde to La Finca Que Ama. Then my son could go to the airport and fly home, and the rest of us would go on to Hotel si Como no at Manuel Antonio.

La Finca Que Ama sounds like a place my husband and I would love, but I'm wondering if the area holds some appeal for young adults? What do you think? It would only be a 1 or 2 night stop but I would want it to hold something for everyone.

Thanks for listening to my very wordy question!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -