Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

July/August 20th anniversary South America?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 1969, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SeaUrchin
I am Indian born in London, parents born there, and have made many visits to relatives over the years. On one particular trip my husband came with me - his first visit to India.
I remembered when visiting with two (white) girl friends some years previously a number of people had asked them to have their photos taken with them so I had warned my husband to expect this.
So when a school girl came up to us with camera and smile I gave him a told you so grin... only to have them take their photos with ME!
I'm an overweight and very ordinary looking character so I couldn't work it out at all, I could only assume I looked like someone famous or something. Poor woman!

ALL the time. I've never had a problem and never been refused. Even when I couldn't speak the language, I would make eye contact, smile, hold out the camera and ask "Photo?" as a question. Again, I've never been refused by a tourist. Wait-staff have always accomodated with a smile - including the waiter in Paris that appeared to be from central casting playing the role of snooty French waiter.

And I ALWAYS stop and offer to take a picture of a couple or a group when so all can be in the shot.

Take a disposable camera if you feel more comfortable, but I think the source of that fear was just an inventive commercial.

Muimei, yes, of course! Otherwise, I wouldn't have had photos of myself taken, when I wanted.

As a female solo traveler, I usually ask it to a couple, or to a family apparently in the same circumstance I am, meaning traveling, never to a single male, as I don't know how a man would take my request...

To have the camera stollen never occurred to me.

Please, don't get paranoid. Use common sense, and you shall be fine. Paranoia will likely ruin you trip, and take away all the pleasure of experiencing a new culture.

PS - at least half of our France pictures were taken by strangers walking by, standing on the Eiffel Tower with us, wait staff, etc. At the Lido we had to wait until after the show - the waiters could not take photos before. It turned out to be one of the best pics of the trip.

Yes, I have asked people to take a picture of my husband and me together, and have had other people ask me to take pictures of them as well. It's just another nice way of "sharing", right?

I'd use your best judgement- the man loitering against the wall wouldn't be high on my list of photo takers!!!
I've been asked many times to take a photo while on vacation. I must be that "nice woman with all the children taking photos. Let's ask her!!" I've only gotten frustrated twice- once when I was asked to take a group photo and then was given no less than ten (or was it fifteen!!!!!!0 cameras). I took two and refused the rest of the cameras. The other times was when I was running (not jogging, not walking) in Hyde Park and a guy jumped in front of me by the serpentine and asked if I'd take a picture. Ok, I should have stopped, but I was sort of busy!

I've loved the pictures others have taken of my group- the ones with headless people or totally out of focus!!! But it's all worth it for ONE GOOD/GREAT one!!!

Like the others, I have never had a problem...and I have done most of my travel solo.

But I have also found innovative ways to balance my camera in all kinds of weird places and doing the timer shot. I wouldn't recommend this in crowded places, but it's handy to practice. In fact, most of my travel photos that I like were taken this way, since I can set up the shot how I want it.

OneWanderingJew....formerly single eh? So I take it you are back from the honeymoon? Welcome back!!

<i>Have you asked or would you ever ask a stranger to take a photo for you?</i>

Yes. Look for people who are taking their own photos, especially those who look like they know what they're doing. I typically offer to take a photo of another person/couple first and then ask them if they'd kindly return the favor.

I always ask locals and tourists to take my photo when I am travelling alone. Like another poster said, just use good judgement in whom you ask.

on my big solo Euroadventure, everyone was so surprised when I came home with so many photos that included myself!

Yes, I have been asked alot, I guess I look approachable or friendly (or honest).

At Hotel Lake Louise, on the lake, I was asked by a Japanese tourist if I would take her picture. I said yes and she handed her camera to her friend and then ran over to me to have our picture taken together. I guess I misunderstood, but then her friend passed on the camera and one by one the group stood next to me for photos.

Then we all bowed at each other and they went on their way leaving me a little puzzled but I felt happier afterwards. I think it is a a good way to interact with people.

I haven't traveled solo thus far, but one of my sweetest memories is of strolling on the University of Washington campus with my son in his cap and gown on his graduation day, when he approached a couple where we were standing in front of Denney Hall, and said &quot;Would you take a picture of me and my Mom? She's the reason I'm here today.&quot;

It brought tears to my eyes then and still does when I remember the moment.

That said, when I am traveling, I rarely wish for photos of myself and am not enamored of the few I've had taken. I take photos of my sister/travel partner, but the only ones that seem to please me are those that capture HER image, not the image of her posing in front of some monument or another. I have great pics of her sitting across the table from me on the terrace at Hotel Haus Lippman in Beilstein, with just a hint of the overhead grape arbor fuzzy in the background, or of her seated across from me on the train from Rome to Milan.

All my favorite photos I've taken are about a place and a moment for me to remember, the world through my eyes, not me through someone else's eye.

Although I'm not generally a solo traveler, I've never had a problem asking others to take my picture or volunteering to take pictures for others. I think it's part of the fun of travel.

Try volunteering when you see a group of &quot;school kids&quot; on holiday and watch their faces light up - all of them get to be in one shot!

I learned this trick on my first trip to England, in 1981. My husband and I were spending our last day in London, and were standing in a beautiful part of Hyde Park. A stranger offered to take our picture - and I had never even thought about trying to get both of us in a picture! Weird, I know, but that innocent offer opened up a whole new world of possibilities for me. (And, gave us a nice, cherished picture from that trip.)

I agree with the others to be smart about who you pick to take your picture. Other tourists &amp; families are always a good choice. Business people are also usually very accommodating.

Go for it! (And don't bother with the cheapy disposables, unless that's what you were planning to use anyway.)

Gayle
Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 06:05 PM
Diana

My husband and I are pretty well travelled(lots of Europe) and have been to Santiago and Buenos Aires on short jaunts. My husband hates touristy spots and he loves Latin destinations so he would love to go to either Chile or Argentina for our 20th anniversary August 2nd. I say "that's winter time!" and we are not really skiers. Can anyone sell me on a romantic trip that would make us both happy! <BR>Thanks!